Anyone use ESV B-Ionic Seawater System salt mix??

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 6, 2020
Messages
82
Reaction score
49
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really in the title. Looking to switch from IO as the parameters have been mixing super low. Ran RC before that and it left my mixing station super dirty plus super high and inconsistent alk. Degraded fast in storage IME also.

Open to recommendations on salt mixes that have consistent parameters of around with minimal to no precipitation from longer hold times (over a week preferably)
Alk: 8-9dkh
Calc: 400-450ppm
Mag: 1300+ppm
 
1729096024395.gif
 
I used esv for years. Ts very good salt and since you.mix in the mag alk.and calcium yourself you will and up tailoring the levels to your exact specs. So write down the weights and measurements you use to make.it easier later on. I got away from it bc I was tire of all the measuring and mixing. I'd tour water wasn't at the exat spot you measure from all.yoyr measurements will be off. So it's a double edge sword. Good salt but you gotta work for it lol
 
I used esv for years. Ts very good salt and since you.mix in the mag alk.and calcium yourself you will and up tailoring the levels to your exact specs. So write down the weights and measurements you use to make.it easier later on. I got away from it bc I was tire of all the measuring and mixing. I'd tour water wasn't at the exat spot you measure from all.yoyr measurements will be off. So it's a double edge sword. Good salt but you gotta work for it lol
Same here. ESV may be the best there is, however, after years of use I just got tired of the measurements and scales. Kind of a lame excuse because it’s not hard to mix up a batch.
 
I love the ESV 4 part. It mixes quickly and clean. Unlike IO and RC, you never have to worry about dirty mixing stations and inconsistent results. BRS did a very thorough review and the top two were ESV bionic, 4 part and Tropic Marin Pro Reef largely due to the quick and clean mixing times, precision and knowing the contents will not cause results to vary within the bag you are using. They are a bit more expensive, but their parameters are great. The ESV produces a slightly higher alk level, but is otherwise quite similar to the Tropic Marin. Also, ESV has high purity standards, utilizing ultra-low heavy metal sodium chloride and USP grade magnesium sulfate. TM is also pharmaceutical grade. I believe both store well too.
 
I love the ESV 4 part. It mixes quickly and clean. Unlike IO and RC, you never have to worry about dirty mixing stations and inconsistent results. BRS did a very thorough review and the top two were ESV bionic, 4 part and Tropic Marin Pro Reef largely due to the quick and clean mixing times, precision and knowing the contents will not cause results to vary within the bag you are using. They are a bit more expensive, but their parameters are great. The ESV produces a slightly higher alk level, but is otherwise quite similar to the Tropic Marin. Also, ESV has high purity standards, utilizing ultra-low heavy metal sodium chloride and USP grade magnesium sulfate. TM is also pharmaceutical grade. I believe both store well too.
ESV is great. Been using Nyos lately and I’d say it’s just as clean as ESV.
 
is it possible to add less or more
of component C and D when mixing to get certain level of calcium and alkalinity you want ?
 
I’m using it and love it. My experience is that it mixes quickly and easily. The directions tell you to first mix the salt and let it dissolve, before adding the magnesium followed by the two liquid ingredients. I find it extremely easy to dose and prepare. They give you a sheet which clearly lists how much of each you need to add to produce the desired salinity ranging from 5 gallons up to 100.

Until now my use has been restricted to my QT which is a 40 gallon as I was waiting to setup a new build glass cages tank. Thankfully, the tank is up and running now and I should be done cycling soon. The salt has also stored perfectly fine with no discoloring to my salt mix station.

As mentioned in this thread, Tropic Marin is a very popular choice and these two seem to be the purest options available. My LFS uses seachem salinity salt so that’s what filled up most of mine on day 1 just under two weeks ago. Moving forward as I get to the point where the tank stabilizes and matures, I look forward to seeing how ESV performs for me. I used to use IO and RC and was also ready for a good change.
 
Switched from Tropic Marin to EVS and I love it... I store it circulating in my WC tanks for weeks/months between WC and have zero issues
 
is it possible to add less or more
of component C and D when mixing to get certain level of calcium and alkalinity you want ?

Only to a degree since there are trace elements in those bottles as well. So when you raise or lower them, you raise or lower everything else. Robert Stark told me no more than 10% less or more is a safe guideline
 
Only to a degree since there are trace elements in those bottles as well. So when you raise or lower them, you raise or lower everything else. Robert Stark told me no more than 10% less or more is a safe guideline
Yes. This is what I’ve heard and read too from ESV. The owner really thinks it should be mixed as prescribed. Great salt, I’ve used thousand and thousands of gallons worth of it. Recently wanted to try something that was 1-part, but still love ESV.
 
I don’t disagree with the idea that it’s a good salt mix, but I will point out that if the only thing wrong with some other mix is that something is too low for one’s preference, it is easy to boost that one or two or even three things, and still have a mix that is no more parts than the ESV. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new