Anyone Using A Felt Roller Mat?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I haven't had a saltwater tank since 2018, but I am planning a build to start a new reef tank, and I'm considering equipment. I have a brand-new-in-the-box FijiCube 24" Gen 1 sump that I plan to use on a 40 gallon to maybe 60 gallon display tank. I recently found this felt roller system that seems to fit my sump:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/arf-20-automatic-roller-filter-system-fiji-cube.html

These felt roller mats seem to make a lot of sense to me. At $350, this isn't cheap, but it's doable, if it really works.

My questions are: for those of you who have tried these new felt roller systems, would you recommend them?

Approximately how much does it cost per month? I know there would be many variables such as tank size and feeding. But I am trying to understand if the felt roller needs to be changed each month, or closer to every 6 months.

Unless someone sets me straight, this type of mechanical filtration seems ideal. Unless it's another 20+ dollars/month, then I think that filer socks would be better, even if you have to keep them clean.

Anyone hear actually have these roller filter mats, and can comment on their efficacy and longevity?

Thank you in advance!

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to that one in particular you posted but I have a klir and I love it. Works perfect and not having to change socks is the best thing I have done for maintenance in my tank. I go through 1 roll a month more or less on my 75.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to that one in particular you posted but I have a klir and I love it. Works perfect and not having to change socks is the best thing I have done for maintenance in my tank. I go through 1 roll a month more or less on my 75.
Thank you! From what I can see, these roller mats are a nice evolution of mechanical filtration; they just make sense to me.

Just asking, do you change out your roller mat closer to once a week, month or year?

I understand there's a ton of variables, but how long do the roller mats last is what I'm trying to get a better (realistic) grip on.

Thank yo so much for your help!

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change it once a month. Sometimes even less. Like you say depends on a lot of variables. I have the klir 7 which does have a large roll.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change it once a month. Sometimes even less. Like you say depends on a lot of variables. I have the klir 7 which does have a large roll.
So about once a month you have to change the roll. I was hoping to get a little longer out of it, though I get there's a ton of variables. But the bottom line is that you feel it's worth it?

Thank you again for your help!

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about once a month you have to change the roll. I was hoping to get a little longer out of it, though I get there's a ton of variables. But the bottom line is that you feel it's worth it?

I'm in the same boat, I get about a month out of my Bubble Magus filter roller on my 60-gallon frag tank. Do some research you might be able to order replacement rolls from China for a 1/3 of the cost. The cost is worth it to me, I absolutely hated washing filter socks.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much easier to just throw away a used roll than washing nasty filter socks all the time. I have two of the Klir 4's. One for each tank, WB Frag 105 and WB Marine 60.2. On the 105 there was some detritus getting through so when I shut down the 60.2 I decided to try using both on the 105. I slowed the return pump down a little to reduce the flow going through the filter area. It's been two weeks now and not seeing hardly any detritus build up like it used to.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat, I get about a month out of my Bubble Magus filter roller on my 60-gallon frag tank. Do some research you might be able to order replacement rolls from China for a 1/3 of the cost. The cost is worth it to me, I absolutely hated washing filter socks.
I'm with you! I haven't had a reef tank since 2018, but I've had more than one over the years, and I used to hate cleaning the silly filter socks. I' trying to keep maintenece costs to a minimum on this build, but this roller mat thing might have to be an exception. It really does make sense to me.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you! I haven't had a reef tank since 2018, but I've had more than one over the years, and I used to hate cleaning the silly filter socks. I' trying to keep maintenece costs to a minimum on this build, but this roller mat thing might have to be an exception. It really does make sense to me.
Replacement filter rolls cost me just over $5 apiece. But if you're really wanting to save costs, just buy filter floss from PinkyFilters and cut them to fit, and remove the sock holders from your sump. I have the FijiCube 36 sump on my main display and have been doing this for years.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacement filter rolls cost me just over $5 apiece. But if you're really wanting to save costs, just buy filter floss from PinkyFilters and cut them to fit, and remove the sock holders from your sump. I have the FijiCube 36 sump on my main display and have been doing this for years.
If I buy the replacement roll from BRS it would be about $18 each and about once a month it seems. Are you saying there's a cheaper way to order the rolls?

And are you saying you use filter floss instead of socks? This would appeal to me, I get floss cheap by buying polyfill for craft projects. It's the stuff they stuff inside pillows, for example, it is the same as filter floss, and much cheaper. I get it at Walmart, you can get it a JoAnn's or any craft/sewing type store.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well wouldn't you know it, but the very thing I'm talking about just went on sale today at BRS for 20% off. Wasn't really planning in spending $300 today, but I bit the bullet and ordered the roller:

ARF Auto Roller Filter Mat

Does anyone know the best place to get inexpensive replacement rollers?

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely worth it. I hate socks so I would never have a tank without a roller anymore.
Socks work perfect don't get me wrong, I just don't have what it takes to take them out and wash them weekly

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely worth it. I hate socks so I would never have a tank without a roller anymore.
Socks work perfect don't get me wrong, I just don't have what it takes to take them out and wash them weekly
Same here my friend!

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RS roller Matt 500
At the beginning it was going thru rolls almost weekly and it cleaned TOO WELL at first.
Now the roll last about a month and I love it, well worth the cost of the rolls.
I got mine last yr close around black Friday so I got it at a decent price.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RS roller Matt 500
At the beginning it was going thru rolls almost weekly and it cleaned TOO WELL at first.
Now the roll last about a month and I love it, well worth the cost of the rolls.
I got mine last yr close around black Friday so I got it at a decent price.
Great to hear, thank you for the reply! If I can dial mine in to be once a month then I think this will be worth it. Do you get the replacement rolls anywhere in particular?

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear, thank you for the reply! If I can dial mine in to be once a month then I think this will be worth it. Do you get the replacement rolls anywhere in particular?
I get the from one of the LFS I go to...I really ha ent looked online for them

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that exact roller in my 30” fiji sump and once I got it all figured out I love it! Do yourself a favor and put superglue inside the big clear waste roller and glue the drive screw from the motor inside it! You can thank me later. I bought 2 extra rolls and I just wash the dirty fleece. Takes 3-4 washer cycles to get them clean because there is a lot of material! I put them inside a delicates laundry bag so they don’t knot themselves up, once again learned this the hard way. I also think once it has been washed it picks up gunk from the water better as the fleece appears to get more brown than it does right out of the manufacturer’s package.

Had this printed by a friend to the size of the roll inside the original fleece so I can use my drill to wind it back up on the roll easier. Did it by hand a couple times, not hard to do, just time consuming. Rolls seem to last 5-6 weeks, honestly I haven’t really timed them. Just be sure you catch it before all the clean roll is stripped from the tube so you can staple the new roll to the end of the dirty roll and feed it through the filter much easier.
People have complained about them not coming with silencers, mine did not but I haven’t noticed any extra noise from the sump. I love this thing and has been hands down the best investment I have made for my tank yet!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back