Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oxydator w seems not to have an effect in my new tank ,a lot if alga and water is not clear.
I have put two catalysts and 12% peroxide, maybe I should add 3? Will also try it in the main tank to see
My tank has between 1200-1400liter
What algae and where, on the rocks like GHA?
Have you IDd what is in your water bacterial.bloom etc and how old is your tank?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What algae and where, on the rocks like GHA?
Have you IDd what is in your water bacterial.bloom etc and how old is your tank?
My tanks has just more than 3 weeks it is a new tank. Don't know what mean GHA? Kind of small red algua every where it goes away easy when you blow it, probably a kind of cyano and water is a bit cloudy but difficult to notice it on foto. Nor uv, ozon, oxydator seems to help for it. Will try a bigger uv. Corals seems all well

IMG20231023175629.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks has just more than 3 weeks it is a new tank. Don't know what mean GHA? Kind of small red algua every where it goes away easy when you blow it, probably a kind of cyano and water is a bit cloudy but difficult to notice it on foto. Nor uv, ozon, oxydator seems to help for it. Will try a bigger uv. Corals seems all well

IMG20231023175629.jpg
GHA = green hair algae.
Your tank is only 3 weeks set up. In which case you need to let it settle and allow it to cycle properly.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will but you have to let your tank mature and settle. The alge and possibly bacterial bloom are feeding on nuitrents that they will use up if you aren't overfeeding.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of small red algua every where it goes away easy when you blow it, probably a kind of cyano and water is a bit cloudy but difficult to notice it on foto
Normally - but not always - cyanobacteria evolve because low nitrate concentrations - especially in a newly started aquarium. Please see here. An oxydator can help but normally you need to run it rather harf in these cases

I have put two catalysts and 12% peroxide, maybe I should add 3?
FYI - I run 12 % and 3 catalyst in my 310 L tank. It is used of this - can be different in an other tanks. Because of your comments about a young tank - I suppose that you have very few corals. Fish, snails, hermit crabs and urchin are less sensitive against H2O2 compared with corals. I do not say that it will be good with 3 catalyst (or even more) but consider to test - but under close supervision. By the way - there is no lack of corals in my aquarium - look at my build thread

Sincerely Lasse

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned that oxydators have to be used very carefully, particularly in combination with UV.
With my 25watt UV there was not a problem, but then I added a 39W UV and near crashed my tank, first in the evening all seemed to be good then when I woke up all corals were closed and no polyp extension and accro were all brown and lost their colors. UV seems really to increase effectiveness
I took off the oxydator fortunately they seem to recovery slowly after a few weeks.

Unfortunately I have a white spot outbreak in my tank after adding a new fish and this after quarantine them, give them a fresh water bath, rally bath and methylene blue bath before put them in the aquarium! i can't believe that near 15-20 years I never lost any fish from sickness, had no Uv, no oxydator, no quarantine, not bath and then suddenly a crash and now every time i add a fish a problem!
As I have this white spot outbreak I added again the W oxydator unfortunately 6% seems to do not a lot, 12% corals closes after a few minutes. So what can I do? 6 is to low 12% too much? I have tried today to add to the 6% W oxydator an Oxydator A at 12% , for now corals seems so so acros don't mind , Euphyllia are half open ( but not sure if it comes from that) just the anemone closed and become very small But I'm willing to lose the anemone if all the fish survive.
Or maybe someone have an idea how to fix this naturally?

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA = green hair algae.
Your tank is only 3 weeks set up. In which case you need to let it settle and allow it to cycle properly.
That tank is only 3 weeks old and already has all that in there.......surprised the only issue OP has is GHA.....

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has more than tree weeks now, but still very young, yes. I all times did instant tanks many years without problems, but the difference this time was that I used ceramics , seems to be way more difficult with this kind of stones. Hair Alga and Bacterial bloom, I could manage them with the UV

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned that oxydators have to be used very carefully, particularly in combination with UV.
With my 25watt UV there was not a problem, but then I added a 39W UV and near crashed my tank, first in the evening all seemed to be good then when I woke up all corals were closed and no polyp extension and accro were all brown and lost their colors. UV seems really to increase effectiveness
I took off the oxydator fortunately they seem to recovery slowly after a few weeks.

Unfortunately I have a white spot outbreak in my tank after adding a new fish and this after quarantine them, give them a fresh water bath, rally bath and methylene blue bath before put them in the aquarium! i can't believe that near 15-20 years I never lost any fish from sickness, had no Uv, no oxydator, no quarantine, not bath and then suddenly a crash and now every time i add a fish a problem!
As I have this white spot outbreak I added again the W oxydator unfortunately 6% seems to do not a lot, 12% corals closes after a few minutes. So what can I do? 6 is to low 12% too much? I have tried today to add to the 6% W oxydator an Oxydator A at 12% , for now corals seems so so acros don't mind , Euphyllia are half open ( but not sure if it comes from that) just the anemone closed and become very small But I'm willing to lose the anemone if all the fish survive.
Or maybe someone have an idea how to fix this naturally?
Why don't you dilute down the 12% to 9% by adding RODI?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I can try this ,you think it will be enough?how I have to add 25 ml for 100ml?
The anemone died today :-(, but the corals seems fine for now.but the fish have more white spots.
I add also a powerfilter in hope to limit the parasite in the water and put the food in fresh garlic juice

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run your UV-C together with the oxidator for the moment? Your right - it is a powerful combination. maybe the one you need in this situation.

There is two way to decrease the flow/time unit for an Oxidator, Lower concentration of H2O2 is one. 75 ml 12 % H2O2 diluted with 25 ml RO water (not tap water) give you a 100 ml of 9 % H2O2 solution.

The other way is to vary the amount of catalyst. Lesser - lower H2O2/time unit compared with the same or more.

However - the amount of white dots should be lower rather quickly on the fish - if not - the method does not work for you

its also wise to aim the outflow of your power filter to your substrate - if so you will force the newly hatched parasites up in the water column and hence into the UV-C. You should also clean/change you filter material every or every second day in order to hinder trapped parasites to cyst and re-hatch. Change to new is best

Sincerely Lasse

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will do this. Fish still have a lot of white spots, I tried day with and day of oxydator, vitality of fish is clear increased days with it, withe spot also decreases. But the dosis need to have this effect not really please my corals.
Can it affect snails? I add shrimp and snails to the tank, shrimp don't seems to be disturbed but none of my snails moved since this morning.. Bought a lot hope they not died because of this

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will do this. Fish still have a lot of white spots, I tried day with and day of oxydator, vitality of fish is clear increased days with it, withe spot also decreases. But the dosis need to have this effect not really please my corals.
Can it affect snails? I add shrimp and snails to the tank, shrimp don't seems to be disturbed but none of my snails moved since this morning.. Bought a lot hope they not died because of this
Some animals don't take to an oxydator but it depends very much on how much on the strength of peroxide and how much is being administrated. There does seem to be some evidence certain snails may be more susceptible to the use of oxydators again depending in the strength of peroxide and amount being administrated.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since a few days I could manage too keep the W With 2 ceramics and two Uv, and the corals seems to get in use for some. , unfortunately the fish not get better, the loricula died today (I didn't strangely see with spot on him, he seemd to be healthy than, on one floss kind of small bacterial infection and then death really fast) and the leuco is on the same way... Must have something else than just white spots or the white spots gives also infections?
Try to put protomor on the food now and have add many lysmata shrimp for cleaning them, hope it will help

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So UV+oxydator don't seems to help unfortunately. lost some fishes, some seems to developed immunity, but other not. But don't know what I could do as nothing seems to work.
I also tried protomor, wrote two times to the manufacturer to be sure it is really reef safe and avoid a crash same my previous tank.well it is reef safe for the snails, incertebrate, soft, lps but It killed my bali and Australian colonnies!! :-(
So sad and my fish still are sick. Don't know what I can do more as I can't catch them all for quarantine? Someone has an idea?

PetitReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Oxydator A last friday and set it up this week-end.
I was manually dosing Peroxyde before to fight a dino push, so Oxydator finished the job :)

My tank is 250L + 60L sump. use oxydator A with One catalyst and 12% peroxyde.

I also use ozone with my skimmer, around 25mg/hr.

ORP currently around 280 and you can easily see when the oxydator entered in service. the peaks before correspond to the 5ml 12% peroxyde manually dosed every 12 hours.
1704720147443.png

Back