Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimptank finally has them in. I ordered mine and he has one more if anyone is interested. Any input on how much 35% peroxide I should order at a time? I'm not sure how much the W actually holds.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimptank finally has them in. I ordered mine and he has one more if anyone is interested. Any input on how much 35% peroxide I should order at a time? I'm not sure how much the W actually holds.
In order to answer your question I need to know more about your tank. How many total gallons, what kind of system, reef i assume? Stocking level and other equipment esp if you run an ozoniser. You also need to consider the number of catalysts and the % of peroxide you would be best using not necessarily 35%. Having said that if you can purchase 35% I would probably go for something like at least 10liters depending on the strength of peroxide you intend to use.
As an example I have a friend with a 300gallon reef tank running 12% (strongest you can buy without a licence in the UK) running 4 catalysts I think but I will check that with him.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just stumbled upon this thread and have some questions. Years ago I used to add a small does of peroxide directly to the sump on daily basis.

I stopped the practice unsure if it provided any benefits as my tank was pristine anyway or I simply got lazy I guess.

Reading this thread some posts would indicate that adding peroxide to the DT is detrimental or dangerous. What if it was low percentage added as slow drip?

Can someone elaborate?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend informs me he is using 12% peroxide and 3 catalysts in his W model with his 300 gallon mixed reef with plenty of fish and that it holds approximately 1.5 litres.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled upon this thread and have some questions. Years ago I used to add a small does of peroxide directly to the sump on daily basis.

I stopped the practice unsure if it provided any benefits as my tank was pristine anyway or I simply got lazy I guess.

Reading this thread some posts would indicate that adding peroxide to the DT is detrimental or dangerous. What if it was low percentage added as slow drip?

Can someone elaborate?
The issue is one of control ensuring you add enough to be of benefit but to also stay at a safe dosing rate. I would suggest using a redox meter who help determine such. As you may know redox can vary greatly throughout the day and what might be a perfectly safe dosage say in the early hours might not be later in the day. Adding peroxide directly is always going to pose a risk with various corals either more or less susceptible to it's addition.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to answer your question I need to know more about your tank. How many total gallons, what kind of system, reef i assume? Stocking level and other equipment esp if you run an ozoniser. You also need to consider the number of catalysts and the % of peroxide you would be best using not necessarily 35%. Having said that if you can purchase 35% I would probably go for something like at least 10liters depending on the strength of peroxide you intend to use.
As an example I have a friend with a 300gallon reef tank running 12% (strongest you can buy without a licence in the UK) running 4 catalysts I think but I will check that with him.

It's about 210 total gallons reef tank. I feed pretty heavy for my finicky fish. It's a fairly simple setup, Algae scrubber, chaeto fuge, and a skimmer.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The issue is one of control ensuring you add enough to be of benefit but to also stay at a safe dosing rate. I would suggest using a redox meter who help determine such. As you may know redox can vary greatly throughout the day and what might be a perfectly safe dosage say in the early hours might not be later in the day. Adding peroxide directly is always going to pose a risk with various corals either more or less susceptible to it's addition.

Where can one read more about this. Rates of application, amount per volume, effect on ORP readings etc.?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 210 total gallons reef tank. I feed pretty heavy for my finicky fish. It's a fairly simple setup, Algae scrubber, chaeto fuge, and a skimmer.
I would stay around 12% and use 2 catalysts and see how it goes. If you have nems then let them be your guide or if any invert shows a negative reaction but I would suggest the above won't be far away from ideal.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay around 12% and use 2 catalysts and see how it goes. If you have nems then let them be your guide or if any invert shows a negative reaction but I would suggest the above won't be far away from ideal.

Should I start with that or work my way up to it? Did your friend say how often he has to refill the W?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a W in my 200g tank and use 9% with 2 catalysts, I started at 6%. Not sure if I’ll increase to 12% or not, I have not had any issues at all
You could increase it to 12% I am sure depending on how much you feed and how heavily your tank is stocked.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, if you have nems watch them, I run an A and a D, 6% 2 catalysts, in 550 litre water volume.
I personally have lost 3 nems. there are other reports of nems not reacting well to oxidators!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back