Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a W with 2 catalysts, ~9%-11% peroxide, in roughly 300 total water volume.

I have plenty of bubble tip anemones with no issues currently. Been running this way for the last 8 months. I never knew anemones could be sensitive to oxidators.

2f8c73c222b075a2c39aaf353dddfd6a.jpg

Chris Wells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, if you have nems watch them, I run an A and a D, 6% 2 catalysts, in 550 litre water volume.
I personally have lost 3 nems. there are other reports of nems not reacting well to oxidators!

Too bad aiptasia dont fallover dead from the oxydator.;)

Although, I have noticed that they are much more pale in color since I started using 2-As 6% w/2 catalysts. 140G ~ 530L water volume.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again it's all about adding enough to make a difference while not exceeding the dose. IME nems are iften the first to react negatively if you over dose. However it shouldn't be difficult to arrive at a dosage that will improve water quality while still be comfortable for your animals as there is quite a wide dosage tolerant acceptability. I have kept a number of nems using Oxydators as the dosage levels I am suggesting without any negatives inc H.magnifica among others.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All corals etc will react negatively if you go beyond acceptability it's just IME nems are the first to do so. However we shouldnt be alarmist and I have had nems return to normal quite quickly when back in the day I experimented with Oxydators and high concentrations of peroxide and or catalysts. I have found 12% to be quite safe with nems and 2 catalysts in my 100gallon using 2 x model As. I have gone higher but eventually settled on 9% in my 2 oxydators using 2 catalysts each.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a W with 2 catalysts, ~9%-11% peroxide, in roughly 300 total water volume.

I have plenty of bubble tip anemones with no issues currently. Been running this way for the last 8 months. I never knew anemones could be sensitive to oxidators.

2f8c73c222b075a2c39aaf353dddfd6a.jpg

They’re beautiful btw...

Tamas Ferencz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm not disputing the possibility that peroxide is being released, you cannot see it so how do you know peroxide is released?

Well, the catalyst is reacting woth the H2O2 inside the acrylic container. O2 is released therefore pressure builds up. O2 is on top, H2O2 is on the bottom, therefore the pressure pushed H2O2 out from the container, which touches the ceramic and nothing else (so no fish or plant will get a direct dose of the peroxide). The aquarium water itself is a catalyst, so the H2O2 which was pushed out from the hole will break down as well producing O2 and H2O. Read the patent: http://www.aquariumoxygenator.com/Patent 4,784,765 Aquarium_oxygenator.pdf

Yes, hidrogen peroxide is released from the container.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the catalyst is reacting woth the H2O2 inside the acrylic container. O2 is released therefore pressure builds up. O2 is on top, H2O2 is on the bottom, therefore the pressure pushed H2O2 out from the container, which touches the ceramic and nothing else (so no fish or plant will get a direct dose of the peroxide). The aquarium water itself is a catalyst, so the H2O2 which was pushed out from the hole will break down as well producing O2 and H2O. Read the patent: http://www.aquariumoxygenator.com/Patent 4,784,765 Aquarium_oxygenator.pdf

Yes, hidrogen peroxide is released from the container.
Although peroxide is released from the acrylic container most of it reacts with the ceramic pot breaking it down to H2O and O2. I have an email from the UK distributor who enquired to the company with my question on the process and that is what they replied.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, correct.
Some people insisted I was wrong and that it was mainly if not totally peroxide that was forced directly into the aquarium. I have posted the reply showing I was right all along but strangely they stopped posting about it on the thread on another well know US forum. [emoji848]

Tamas Ferencz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All they have to check is the patent Doc. It can be found on the web. It is a rather old one. You're not wrong. I'm using it since yesterday, but I wanted to understand exactly what happens inside the tank, so I did some digging.

Yesterday I did some testing without the ceramic beaker of my unit (model A) and I was putting the acrylic container upside down in my Ada Soil. After around 15 sec I removed it and small bubbles came out from the soil. The peroxide reacted with the soil /mud abd it was breaking down.
Some people insisted I was wrong and that it was mainly if not totally peroxide that was forced directly into the aquarium. I have posted the reply showing I was right all along but strangely they stopped posting about it on the thread on another well know US forum. [emoji848]

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic is pretty much inert. I have never heard of it acting as a catalyst. I still think this is just a clever peroxide doser, but it does not really matter how it works. If the results are positive, then use it. It can clearly be overdosed which suggests peroxide can be discharged at least under some circumstances.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic is pretty much inert. I have never heard of it acting as a catalyst. I still think this is just a clever peroxide doser, but it does not really matter how it works. If the results are positive, then use it. It can clearly be overdosed which suggests peroxide can be discharged at least under some circumstances.
The ceramic beaker/pot is made of the same material as the catalyst. The clay? Is impregnated with silver and it's this that reacts with the peroxide to break it down into it's component parts.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going on vacation next week so I started with 10% and 2 catalysts to play it safe. If that goes well I'll bump it up to 12% when that solution runs out.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be the first to admit it could be completely psychological, but I feel like the water is already considerably clearer.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be the first to admit it could be completely psychological, but I feel like the water is already considerably clearer.
Which is often the first thung people notice and even reported its as if there is no water in the tank the water can be that clear.

Tamas Ferencz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the large version since last Thursday. The shrimps seem to be more active as well. I thought I won't like the design, but it does not bother me. I like to see the release of small bubbles.

Back