Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my Sander ozoniser years ago with an Oxydator and wouldn't go back to one for a number of ressons.

Any reasons you would care to elaborate on? I am setting up a 650 gallon system. Now a W is the best I know but can only find those in Europe right now. Would two smaller sizes work as well?

I’d also like to know.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reasons you would care to elaborate on? I am setting up a 650 gallon system. Now a W is the best I know but can only find those in Europe right now. Would two smaller sizes work as well?
You could use 2 Oxydator As with 2 catalysts and 12_% peroxide but try 9% first then move to 12% if all well which it should be. The downside is the peroxide will only last you about 5 days at 12%. The model W would give you much more peroxide capacity.

With Oxydator's you simply fill and install. No electricity and very safe to use esp once you establish your tanks requirements level of catalysts to % of peroxide which is not difficult.
Ozonisers need a power supply, ideally a redox controller and best run with an air drier. Probes need to be cleaned and calibrated regular, you might smell ozone in the room, ozonisers can fail and will at some point so will require replacement. Now you might consider that I am against ozonisers and that I am being overly harsh on them and that you can run them without a controller. However compared to Oxydators there is much more to go wrong. I do like ozonisers but I have found Oxydator's much more to my liking along with easy of use.

OP
OP
PapaDragon

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe a thread I started years ago is still going. I need to replace my catalyst for my Oxydator any recommendations.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe a thread I started years ago is still going. I need to replace my catalyst for my Oxydator any recommendations.
Just wondering if a small piece of silver might work just as well. The Oxydator's catalysts are reported to contain silver impregnated into the ceramic.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you need to replace? I’ve been going for a year, and I haven’t noticed any changes in them.
There seems to be some confusion over the length of time the catalysts last. It was originally thought them to be more or less everlasting. However I was told they do need to be replaced from time to time, no lifespan given. However given the catlaysts are impregnated with silver perhaps the silver slowly disolves away and they become less effective. Just a theory. The strength of peroxide used might determine the life expectancy.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use 2 Oxydator As with 2 catalysts and 12_% peroxide but try 9% first then move to 12% if all well which it should be. The downside is the peroxide will only last you about 5 days at 12%. The model W would give you much more peroxide capacity.

With Oxydator's you simply fill and install. No electricity and very safe to use esp once you establish your tanks requirements level of catalysts to % of peroxide which is not difficult.
Ozonisers need a power supply, ideally a redox controller and best run with an air drier. Probes need to be cleaned and calibrated regular, you might smell ozone in the room, ozonisers can fail and will at some point so will require replacement. Now you might consider that I am against ozonisers and that I am being overly harsh on them and that you can run them without a controller. However compared to Oxydators there is much more to go wrong. I do like ozonisers but I have found Oxydator's much more to my liking along with easy of use.

What benefits do you subscribe to using the Oxydator?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What benefits do you subscribe to using the Oxydator?
Very similar to the benefits of ozone. Gin clear water high oxygen content. Can help reduce/eliminate diatoms and cyno. Extra vitality and improved colour in fish is often noticed. Both ozone and perixode are bleaches. You may also notice a sight reduction in skimmate and ir a lighter colour skimmate.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a DIY:

Might be OK in a FW setup but those bubbles look rather large and I am not sure how much peroxide might be wasted. There also seems a lot of potato acting as a catalysts there. A friend of mine used a brass pin head in a DIY type Oxydator using a mustard jar in a nano thank which seemed to work OK, no airstone was used however. I have seen a number of DIY takes on Oxydator's but have yet to see one I would trust or work as well as origional Oxydator's.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be some confusion over the length of time the catalysts last. It was originally thought them to be more or less everlasting. However I was told they do need to be replaced from time to time, no lifespan given. However given the catlaysts are impregnated with silver perhaps the silver slowly disolves away and they become less effective. Just a theory. The strength of peroxide used might determine the life expectancy.

Thank you. I guess I should just watch for how long it takes to deplete.

Of all the things in life (aside from my kids), my reef tank proves most often to me how much I have to learn.

Dave

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does one purchase the oxydator from? I've only found http://www.aquariumoxygenator.com/ and they are back ordered. And I don't see any "W" model on that site.
I can only help with EU and UK suppliers. However I believe somebody in the US did find a supplier but not sure if Ws are available in the US as yet.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 As in my 160g system and have recently upped the H2O2 to 18%. Lasts about 5-6 days and I think I might add 1-2 more so I can do 9-12%.

I’ve noticed cleaner water and I stopped running GAC (too lazy to replace) and my favorite benefit is reduced algae on the front glass.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 As in my 160g system and have recently upped the H2O2 to 18%. Lasts about 5-6 days and I think I might add 1-2 more so I can do 9-12%.

I’ve noticed cleaner water and I stopped running GAC (too lazy to replace) and my favorite benefit is reduced algae on the front glass.
I would be wary of running 18% peroxide the reason being once the water reaches a certain cleanliness the peroxide looks for something else to oxidize (best way I can describe it) if you have nems they can react negatively to high % of peroxide, yes I have been there in my experiments. You might find 18% fine at first but one day it might just bite you. The idea of an Oxydator is to convert the vast majority of the peroxide down to it's component parts, water and what the manufacturers tell super reactivated oxygen. With very high % of peroxide there is also a chance much of it might not be briken down and escape into the tank to burn sensitive animals like nems etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back