Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be wary of running 18% peroxide the reason being once the water reaches a certain cleanliness the peroxide looks for something else to oxidize (best way I can describe it) if you have nems they can react negatively to high % of peroxide, yes I have been there in my experiments. You might find 18% fine at first but one day it might just bite you. The idea of an Oxydator is to convert the vast majority of the peroxide down to it's component parts, water and what the manufacturers tell super reactivated oxygen. With very high % of peroxide there is also a chance much of it might not be briken down and escape into the tank to burn sensitive animals like nems etc.

Thanks! Based on what I’ve read on peroxide research for disease management, once the water dissolved oxygen reaches 8-9mg/L they have started seeing much stronger mechanism of action of peroxide on pathogens but also higher fish mortality. Basically along the lines of what you describe. I’ve been keeping a DO meter and testing that hypothesis, but even with 2 running at 18% I’m still in the 6.7-7 territory. As you say that may change if I keep doing it so the plan is to adjust and I intend to buy a couple more to run 9-12% longer term just for maintenance reasons. The reason I got them was primarily to replace a GAC reactor and have to tinker with it weekly.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Based on what I’ve read on peroxide research for disease management, once the water dissolved oxygen reaches 8-9mg/L they have started seeing much stronger mechanism of action of peroxide on pathogens but also higher fish mortality. Basically along the lines of what you describe. I’ve been keeping a DO meter and testing that hypothesis, but even with 2 running at 18% I’m still in the 6.7-7 territory. As you say that may change if I keep doing it so the plan is to adjust and I intend to buy a couple more to run 9-12% longer term just for maintenance reasons. The reason I got them was primarily to replace a GAC reactor and have to tinker with it weekly.
Sounds a plan and yes I dispensed with carbon soon after I found Oxydator's although I have used it adhoc but to be honest am not sure why [emoji15]

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds a plan and yes I dispensed with carbon soon after I found Oxydator's although I have used it adhoc but to be honest am not sure why [emoji15]

IME GAC is a bit faster and will pick up many toxins along with some useful stuff, but I have yet to find a reactor that’s easy to maintain. Maybe the new NYOS torq will do the trick.

Interesting you say there may be lighter skimmate? Have you observed that? I have an oversized skimmer and it still pulls lots of dark nasty stuff.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME GAC is a bit faster and will pick up many toxins along with some useful stuff, but I have yet to find a reactor that’s easy to maintain. Maybe the new NYOS torq will do the trick.

Interesting you say there may be lighter skimmate? Have you observed that? I have an oversized skimmer and it still pulls lots of dark nasty stuff.
Seems to me my skimmate was lighter but then there are lots of variables and it could be just cleaning my skimmer or the fact once in a while i squirt hot water down the venturi to clean out an crud. I can't be certain if the Oxydator was totally responsible fir lighter skimmate. I think it would make sense though as the Oxydator burns a lot of pollution out of the water.

sbidny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many catalysts do the Ws come with by default? I only seem to be finding 1 in mine.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many catalysts do the Ws come with by default? I only seem to be finding 1 in mine.
They are designed for a small pond and if I recall right it comes with one but I also seem to recall the catalyst is larger than the ones supplied with the model A. However never owning a W I am not 100% certain. Others maybe able to confirm.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are designed for a small pond and if I recall right it comes with one but I also seem to recall the catalyst is larger than the ones supplied with the model A. However never owning a W I am not 100% certain. Others maybe able to confirm.
Based on my order yesterday, only the mini had a different catalyst. I ordered extra catalysts and the only option was regular and mini. Specifically starting that the regular fit all units except for the mini.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my order yesterday, only the mini had a different catalyst. I ordered extra catalysts and the only option was regular and mini. Specifically starting that the regular fit all units except for the mini.
Well that answers that question. I knew there are different sizes of catalysts just not sure for what models.

Sent from my SM-G920F using REEF2REEF mobile app

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catalysts for all Oxydators are available on eBay Uk for £3.29 about $4 plus postage. Shouldn't be so expensive to post to the US and I know Adrian has sent Oxydator's to the US and other countries. You can also contact him at seahorsebreederuk.

Sent from my SM-G920F using REEF2REEF mobile app

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one on order. I will see how it is compared to how my ozone generator kept the water crystal clear. I notice that my water does have a yellowish/green tint to it since I had to stop running ozone.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one on order. I will see how it is compared to how my ozone generator kept the water crystal clear. I notice that my water does have a yellowish/green tint to it since I had to stop running ozone.
A correctly sized Oxydator with the right combination of catalysts and % of peroxide will clear away yellow/green tinge to the water no problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back