Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in the sump, in the same section as the return pump.

Also, my W model came with three catalyst.

Dave
From the supplier at Aquaristik shop. "Catalysts have a life cycle of many years and are only replaced if their function decreases significantly."

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A correctly sized Oxydator with the right combination of catalysts and % of peroxide will clear away yellow/green tinge to the water no problem.

I’ve been using an Oxydator for a few months now, but I’ll be honest, I’m not sure how to decide what the right percent peroxide and number of catalysts I should use is.

Got any pointers?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now and then the last 10 years but as a part of the system only for 2.5 years. In the 80:ies I use DIY oxydaytors for many years in fresh water. I use platina as catalyst - not Ag.

Sincerely Lasse

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using an Oxydator for a few months now, but I’ll be honest, I’m not sure how to decide what the right percent peroxide and number of catalysts I should use is.

Got any pointers?
What Oxydator, what % peroxide, how many catlaysts are you using and how many gallons is you system?

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Oxydator, what % peroxide, how many catlaysts are you using and how many gallons is you system?

Tank is about 75 gallons

I have the “A”

2 catalysts

6% peroxide

2 Anthias, 5 chromis, 2 clowns, 1 blenny.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 75 gallons

I have the “A”

2 catalysts

6% peroxide

2 Anthias, 5 chromis, 2 clowns, 1 blenny.
You could increase your peroxide to 9% but as always observe the tank closely for at least 30 mins after upping it. I assume given you don't mention it that you have no inverts?

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could increase your peroxide to 9% but as always observe the tank closely for at least 30 mins after upping it. I assume given you don't mention it that you have no inverts?

Sorry, yes. I do.

I have several clams, a BTA and snails.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, yes. I do.

I have several clams, a BTA and snails.
This is my problem when asked about Oxydators I struggle to get all the information required to answer the question in a meaningful way. I need to know a lot about stocking rates gallonage type of animals kept and how heavily people feed as they all play an important part when it comes to getting the best out of your Oxydator.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @atoll. I am embarking on seeing what an oxydator will help me with in my system. I have a W model on the way. Here are my specifics about my tank:

240 G Mixed Reef (SPS/LPS/Softies/Trochus Snails/Cleaner Shrimp)
Skimmer, CO2 Scrubber, CaRx, dosing vinegar

Stock List:
Powder Blue Tang
Sailfin Tang
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
Achilles Tang
Naso Tang
Sailfin Wrasse
Lineatus Wrasse
Red Margin Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Mandarin
Midas Blenny

NOTE: I have 5 squamipinnis anthias that I'll be adding in a few weeks after conditioned. Also thinking about adding a small purple tang.

I feed at least 3 times a day. I feed LRS, pellets, and flakes. I do tend to feed a little heavy most of the time (unless I notice nutrients increase then I slow down a bit).

Wanting to see if you can give me some insight on how to maximize the Oxydator in my setup. I think that I will put it in my sump when setting it up.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @atoll. I am embarking on seeing what an oxydator will help me with in my system. I have a W model on the way. Here are my specifics about my tank:

240 G Mixed Reef (SPS/LPS/Softies/Trochus Snails/Cleaner Shrimp)
Skimmer, CO2 Scrubber, CaRx, dosing vinegar

Stock List:
Powder Blue Tang
Sailfin Tang
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
Achilles Tang
Sailfin Wrasse
Lineatus Wrasse
Red Margin Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Mandarin

I feed at least 3 times a day. I feed LRS, pellets, and flakes. I do tend to feed a little heavy most of the time (unless I notice nutrients increase then I slow down a bit).

Wanting to see if you can give me some insight on how to maximize the Oxydator in my setup. I think that I will put it in my sump when setting it up.
WOW! You have some great fush there. My friend has a not too dissimilar set up to you using the W model. He is using 12% and 3 catalysts. However I would start with 9% and 2 or 3 catalysts. If all well move up to 12%.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! You have some great fush there. My friend has a not too dissimilar set up to you using the W model. He is using 12% and 3 catalysts. However I would start with 9% and 2 or 3 catalysts. If all well move up to 12%.

Thanks for the quick response and compliment!!! I might try to find some 35% and dilute down. I was running an ozone generator, but had to switch to a Reef Octopus from my Vertex (which has an intake for ozone).

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I forgot about my Midas Blenny and Naso Tang. Love that little guy.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response and compliment!!! I might try to find some 35% and dilute down. I was running an ozone generator, but had to switch to a Reef Octopus from my Vertex (which has an intake for ozone).
In the UK you have to be VAT registered to buy 35% otherwise 12% is the strongest we can buy legally anyway. Always best to buy high strength peroxide and dilute it to your required strength with RO and post DI if you have it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back