Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Technical Details of Söchting Oxydators.

Mini:

Container Diameter: 1"
  • Base Diameter: 1.5"
  • Overall Height: 3.25"
  • Filling: 1 ounce
Oxydator D
Container Diameter: 2.25"
  • Base Diameter: 3.5"
  • Overall Height: 3.5"
  • Filling: 4.25 ounces (a little over 1/2 cup) or 1/8 of a liter
Oxydator A:
  • Diameter: 3.5"
  • Overall Height: 6.75"
  • Capacity 1/4 of a litre
Söchting Oxydator W:
diameter: 15 cm.
height: 18 cm
filling 1000 ml

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put in my W model oxydator with 3% and 1 catalyst in my 240 gallon tank recently, but had to pull it. Don't know if it has something to do with the peroxide (wasn't food grade - have some coming) or some type of chemical reactor or something to dosing vinegar, but some of my SPS, acans, and other LPS did not like it much.

I mainly hadn't really seen polyp extension, mainly skeleton on SPS and LPS minimal flesh. Now without it running for few days, everything is looking better.

Sure it was setup properly (really simple to do) so I know that I can definitely rule that out.

So things that could have been the issue:
1. Store bought 3% peroxide
2. Vinegar dosing reaction
3. Something entirely different and maybe just a fluke

I dose Red Sea ABCD and do not think that would have anything to do with what happened with the coral. Going to stop dosing it though and just do water changes.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3% is a very low concentration and if as you say you installed it correctly and there is no leak of peroxide then I can't see it being the problem. I assume your not using ozone at the same time. Also how many catalysts are you using in it? Have you checked how much peroxide it use in the time it was in your sump and how long was the oxydator installed before you pulled it?

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3% is a very low concentration and if as you say you installed it correctly and there is no leak of peroxide then I can't see it being the problem. I assume your not using ozone at the same time. Also how many catalysts are you using in it? Have you checked how much peroxide it use in the time it was in your sump and how long was the oxydator installed before you pulled it?

It didn't use that much of what I put in there, but I could tell that some had been used. I was only using 1 catalyst.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put in my W model oxydator with 3% and 1 catalyst in my 240 gallon tank recently, but had to pull it. Don't know if it has something to do with the peroxide (wasn't food grade - have some coming) or some type of chemical reactor or something to dosing vinegar, but some of my SPS, acans, and other LPS did not like it much.

I mainly hadn't really seen polyp extension, mainly skeleton on SPS and LPS minimal flesh. Now without it running for few days, everything is looking better.

Sure it was setup properly (really simple to do) so I know that I can definitely rule that out.

So things that could have been the issue:
1. Store bought 3% peroxide
2. Vinegar dosing reaction
3. Something entirely different and maybe just a fluke

I dose Red Sea ABCD and do not think that would have anything to do with what happened with the coral. Going to stop dosing it though and just do water changes.
That’s a very strange reaction, I have a W and use 12% peroxide and 2 catalysts in a 200g tank as a comparison, I’m SPS mainly with a few LPS, if I was you I’d buy some purer peroxide and try again...

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm going to give it another try once I get my food grade peroxide in.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a very strange reaction, I have a W and use 12% peroxide and 2 catalysts in a 200g tank as a comparison, I’m SPS mainly with a few SPS, if I was you I’d buy some purer peroxide and try again...

Yes that is what I am gonna do. Was being a little impatient getting it setup. Will report back once I finally do get the peroxide in and have it running again.

Also, it could have been something that I was totally not aware of that caused the reaction; it's just coincidentally I start using the oxydator with the store bought peroxide.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is what I am gonna do. Was being a little impatient getting it setup. Will report back once I finally do get the peroxide in and have it running again.

Also, it could have been something that I was totally not aware of that caused the reaction; it's just coincidentally I start using the oxydator with the store bought peroxide.
I used commerical grade peroxide for years without noticing any problem. Commercial or tech grade has stabilizers to help prevent it breaking down in storage. That was years ago and I have used food grade since which I buy in 5ltr containers now.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the peroxide I have been buying for quite a while. I dilute it to the % I require usually to 9%.
20190129_183621.jpeg

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used commerical grade peroxide for years without noticing any problem. Commercial or tech grade has stabilizers to help prevent it breaking down in storage. That was years ago and I have used food grade since which I buy in 5ltr containers now.

I have a small bottle 6% with phosphoric acid added as a stabilizer. Am I OK using some of this until I can get my hands on food grade HP?

I will most likely have to order the food grade version as I can’t find any locally.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was some questions about DIY oxidators. I did a lot of them in my fresh water days. The was very simple - A plastic PET bottle. A very small hole by a needle in the cap. A very small fragment of platina as catalyst. In order to hinder the bottle to rise in the water when it slowly was filled with oxygen - I placed the bottle in a corner and glued a stop at the height of the bottle and placed a stone against the bottle so that it did not slip away. I used 3 - 6 % and make the platin catalyst in size that it empty a 300 ml bottle in 2 - 3 weeks.

But - there is one big but - The orginal use catalyst even outside the plastic bottle - my construction did not that - it dose pure H2O2 out in the aquaria - hence use weaker sollutions compared with the orginal !!!! Test.

Sincerely Lasse

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting rabbit hole to venture down. Looks like I have a perfect spot in my sump that might fit the A, which would be ideal for my moderately stocked 65 gallon. Just what I need, more judgement from the wife as I look into another toy to buy for the fish tank lol. Seems pretty interesting though for sure. Though I'm also considering taking my skimmer offline to convert the area it is in to a refugium, so may let that take hold for a few months before adding this. Don't want to make too many changes at once.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My size W oxydator arrives today! Very excited!!!

Please post results. My Nano with an oxydator barely even had an ugly phase and is doing incredibly well. Having said that, I’ve had it in there from the beginning, so don’t have a “before and after” comparison.

I would love to see more users posting about their direct experiences...

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a Model A from http://www.theshrimptank.com/hardware/sochting-oxydator/. Looking forward to getting it installed :). Every other placed I looked it required it to be imported from Germany and a crazy long 4-6 week lead time :(.

I got the peroxide from Amazon - it's really easy to get 12% food grade there. I guess you have to dilute it down to 6%. This is the peroxide I got - https://www.amazon.com/Grade-Hydrogen-Peroxide-Reduced-Amazon/dp/B07BXLKZMR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2K8J1AO9MAA6G&keywords=12%+hydrogen+peroxide+food+grade&qid=1553529409&s=gateway&sprefix=12%+hydroge,aps,180&sr=8-3

Congrats, and again, please post data when you can....

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will from The Shrimp Tank just messaged me back. He's shipping the Model A today.

He just started carrying the Model W (This is the large version for you big reefers). @Ok_cowboy1 He has several in stock :)

Will is who I got my W from last week. Great customer service!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back