Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got it in [emoji16].

Got here before the hydrogen peroxide [emoji50]. Thanks theshrimptank.com [emoji106]

fdcd6ad99b34dc8e7308491f3a3ec0ec.jpg

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydrogen peroxide finally showed up. It's 12% so I had to dilute it down to 6% with RODI. I just installed it in the sump. It fit in my return section :).

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For people using the W, what size tank are you using it on? I ordered one for my 120 I'm setting up and it was alot bigger than I thought it would be...
The W was originally designed for small ponds so I wouldn't use one on less than 100 gallon but if you can fit it in the sump you could use it in smaller just no need to. Smaller than 100 gallon I would use the model A.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The W was originally designed for small ponds so I wouldn't use one on less than 100 gallon but if you can fit it in the sump you could use it in smaller just no need to. Smaller than 100 gallon I would use the model A.
So it should be ok in my 120 with a 55 gallon sump I guess. Are there any negative effects that I should be aware of with using it on this size tank?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it should be ok in my 120 with a 55 gallon sump I guess. Are there any negative effects that I should be aware of with using it on this size tank?
No everything should be fine providing you can accommodate it in tbe sump with a reasinable head of water over it. Remember unlike the other models the W will float to the surface when ot needs refilling.
I would use 9% peroxide if ressonably well stocked with 2 catalysts at first. If you want to be ultra cautious then start with 1 catalysts but 2 should be fine from the off.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No everything should be fine providing you can accommodate it in tbe sump with a reasinable head of water over it. Remember unlike the other models the W will float to the surface when ot needs refilling.
I would use 9% peroxide if ressonably well stocked with 2 catalysts at first. If you want to be ultra cautious then start with 1 catalysts but 2 should be fine from the off.
It's going to be in about 12 inches of water because that's the height of the baffles. Do you think that's enough? I have 12% peroxide. I'm figuring to dilute it to 9% I just add 1/3 rodi water to it?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, I currently run ozone, I understand that I should take that offline when I use the oxidator?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I currently run ozone, I understand that I should take that offline when I use the oxidator?
I took my ozone offline when I started using Oxydator's. You could run them together but I would only advise it if either where underpowered to run a system. Both ozone and peroxide are bleaches and usually running both is overkill, not necessary and in extreme cases could be dangerous to tank inhabitants.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I took my ozone offline when I started using Oxydator's. You could run them together but I would only advise it if either where underpowered to run a system. Both ozone and peroxide are bleaches and usually running both is overkill, not necessary and in extreme cases could be dangerous to tank inhabitants.
Thanks for all the advice!

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few ppl I talked to think I’m nuts for sticking “freshie tech” in my reef tank lol. They are telling me there is no way in hell peroxide would generate an ozone effect [emoji848].

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few ppl I talked to think I’m nuts for sticking “freshie tech” in my reef tank lol. They are telling me there is no way in hell peroxide would generate an ozone effect [emoji848].

I would never run a tank without them, I'm not a chemistry sort of person but to me it appears to be a poor man's safer ozone! ;)

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never run a tank without them, I'm not a chemistry sort of person but to me it appears to be a poor man's safer ozone! ;)

It’s also less expensive and uses less electricity then a UV [emoji28]

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you asked why and where they get their information / ideas from. Me thinks they don't really have much of a clue. In fact peroxide can be more potent (for want of a better description) than any hobby ozoniser that's if you wanted it to be.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you asked why and where they get their information / ideas from. Me thinks they don't really have much of a clue. In fact peroxide can be more potent (for want of a better description) than any hobby ozoniser that's if you wanted it to be.

Probably BRS or EcoTech ‍♂️. One of them told me if it’s so great why isn’t it all over the LFSs and on BRS ‍♂️

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell them i have been running oxydators for around 30 years in reef tanks and previously ran ozinisers. My conclusions were arrived at soon after starting to use Oxydators. Back in that time Oxydators were all but unheard off in marine circles and hardly known here in the UK apart from a few discus keepers. Myself and a friend experimented at some length using Oxydators in our tanks before we gave them the thumbs up. I have used Oxydators in all my following tanks ever since and know a number who who have ditched their ozonisers for Oxydators and never looked back.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back