Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I see being my biggest gripe would be finding 35% peroxide in bulk at reasonable prices+shipping.

I prefer to buy in bulk when possible. I did find 2 places online:

https://www.blubonic.com/product-pa...2ytyZqywiHKlD5UhqgB3psRVF_Mx7G8hoCl1IQAvD_BwE
upload_2019-5-15_12-28-4.png

https://www.asecurecart.net/server/cart.aspx/PureHealthDiscounts

Which would you purchase for long-term usage? I bought my original from Pure Health Discounts, but if there really isn't a difference between the 2, I am going to order from BluBonic.com
The second one does not show what they are selling. I would always advise food grade however, I have used none food grade and the difference as far as I can tell is none food grade has stabilising chemicals in it to make it last longer without any obvious problems. Perhaps ask the second supplier what their difference is. You are lucky, here in the UK we can only buy 12% max strength without a licence. We can however buy peroxide in 5 liter poly containers and even larger containers for around £23 delivered about $28 I think.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D to the lower right of the display, A the other side of the divide lower left, currently ramping up to 9% from 6, my desk is to the left, the ets is my fts! ;)

DSC_0002 (1024x543).jpg

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second one does not show what they are selling. I would always advise food grade however, I have used none food grade and the difference as far as I can tell is none food grade has stabilising chemicals in it to make it last longer without any obvious problems. Perhaps ask the second supplier what their difference is. You are lucky, here in the UK we can only buy 12% max strength without a licence. We can however buy peroxide in 5 liter poly containers and even larger containers for around £23 delivered about $28 I think.

I ended up just buying a gallon from these guys:

upload_2019-5-15_12-48-34.png

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just received a graph of a MV reading from a guy on the UK forum Ultimatereef who is using an Oxydator W I believe and have his permission to post it here. He is also on the Oxydator FB group and I am in conversation with him about his tank and other info regarding the use of his Oxydator and the eaffects it's having on his tank. I will post more about our conversations etc soon.
Screenshot_20190618-114602_Chrome.jpeg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just received a graph of a MV reading from a guy on the UK forum Ultimatereef who is using an Oxydator W I believe and have his permission to post it here. He is also on the Oxydator FB group and I am in conversation with him about his tank and other info regarding the use of his Oxydator and the eaffects it's having on his tank. I will post more about our conversations etc soon.
Screenshot_20190618-114602_Chrome.jpeg
This is a MV graph taken before he started using his Oxydator. More to follow.
Screenshot_20190618-125150_Chrome.jpeg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a MV graph taken before he started using his Oxydator. More to follow.
Screenshot_20190618-125150_Chrome.jpeg
A few more posts from Gavin on his system etc. BTW he is using a model A with 12% peroxide and 2 catalysts.

"My Orp reading has almost always corresponded with my ph Levels, normally peak pH is the lowest ORP reading. The highest point on the Orp chart is approximately when the lights start to come on, and the lowest point approximately corresponds with the lights going off."

"with all the sumps, displays etc I'm around system volume of around 1,000 litres, tank is moderate/heavily stocked with fish, feed heavily probably equivalent to 7-9 cubes of frozen a day (I use slabs of frozen so cut my own cubes) and phyto is dosed during the day, and nori added every couple of days.
Filtration is provided by (in order of water travelling through them) an x-filter, skimmer, roaphos, carbon and siporax other then past the oxidator, I do also run a small cheato based refugium and one of the displays is half filled with caulerpa

My ORP I'm not 100% sure of, from memory it would start around the low 300's after a what change and rise slowly over the month to around mid to late 300's, so the oxidator definitely raises ORP and keeps it much more stable in my tank"

"I run one A model with two catalysts and 12% peroxide. The A only has a 250ml chamber so I have to refill about every 6 days, your larger model (model W) I suspect will do the same thing but with a larger chamber wont need to be refilled as often."

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more posts from Gavin on his system etc. BTW he is using a model A with 12% peroxide and 2 catalysts.

"My Orp reading has almost always corresponded with my ph Levels, normally peak pH is the lowest ORP reading. The highest point on the Orp chart is approximately when the lights start to come on, and the lowest point approximately corresponds with the lights going off."

"with all the sumps, displays etc I'm around system volume of around 1,000 litres, tank is moderate/heavily stocked with fish, feed heavily probably equivalent to 7-9 cubes of frozen a day (I use slabs of frozen so cut my own cubes) and phyto is dosed during the day, and nori added every couple of days.
Filtration is provided by (in order of water travelling through them) an x-filter, skimmer, roaphos, carbon and siporax other then past the oxidator, I do also run a small cheato based refugium and one of the displays is half filled with caulerpa

My ORP I'm not 100% sure of, from memory it would start around the low 300's after a what change and rise slowly over the month to around mid to late 300's, so the oxidator definitely raises ORP and keeps it much more stable in my tank"

"I run one A model with two catalysts and 12% peroxide. The A only has a 250ml chamber so I have to refill about every 6 days, your larger model (model W) I suspect will do the same thing but with a larger chamber wont need to be refilled as often."

It’s expected that ORp would go up when using oxidators, ozone etc. I use 4 ozydators A in my tank and I think it helps with water clarity, also based on my O2 measurements it does raise DO. While we can see some benefits of raised DO, although uncertain at what level that stops being so relevant. What’s the implication of the above charts? I’m not familiar of evidence of relatively higher orp meaning anything?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s expected that ORp would go up when using oxidators, ozone etc. I use 4 ozydators A in my tank and I think it helps with water clarity, also based on my O2 measurements it does raise DO. While we can see some benefits of raised DO, although uncertain at what level that stops being so relevant. What’s the implication of the above charts? I’m not familiar of evidence of relatively higher orp meaning anything?
In a nutshell high ORP = good water quality with less organics and high oxygen levels.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I’m not sure the available knowledge indicates that higher orp beyond the normal range equals “better” water quality. The extremes do seem to point out to certain issues.

Randy wrote a good article on this, there’s also interesting research into ORP in NSW and not quite intuitive or simple as it appears:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I’m not sure the available knowledge indicates that higher orp beyond the normal range equals “better” water quality. The extremes do seem to point out to certain issues.

Randy wrote a good article on this, there’s also interesting research into ORP in NSW and not quite intuitive or simple as it appears:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php
"Normal range" my understanding on some parts of the reef oxygen can exceed 100% saturation and ORP can reach around 500mv. I don't recall where I read that, a bit of Googling my be required. I think you will have to quantify normal ORP as it would appear to me that all depends on the kind of reef we wish to replicate ORP wise and match to our corals. Then again as with must things in this hobby achieve a happy compromise that suits our individual aquarium and corals.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and one of the displays is half filled with caulerpa

That I like because my tanks run on caulerpa, yes it is a bit "invasive", think of it as weeding the garden, I have an overall top tank volume at 500 litres, split three fifths to two fifths, display / display refugium, display refugium is caulerpa powered! ;)

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine. 1350 Litres, fairly heavy bioload and heavily fed. Oxydator W with 9% and two catalysts. You can see where my peroxide was pretty much empty and then after I refilled it. I'll be trying 12% next week sometime and will post a new graph after.

64599710_10156237142961787_5969120688710090752_o.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine. 1350 Litres, fairly heavy bioload and heavily fed. Oxydator W with 9% and two catalysts. You can see where my peroxide was pretty much empty and then after I refilled it. I'll be trying 12% next week sometime and will post a new graph after.

64599710_10156237142961787_5969120688710090752_o.jpg
Looking good Stewart.[emoji4]

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few small patches of turf algae show up and treated them by applying 3% hydrogen peroxide to them. The algae went away and I was amazed at how clear the tank was the following day, now I'm interested in adding an oxydator.

Tank is 45G based on dimensions, sump is 23G according to manufacturer. I'm guessing 55-60 gallons of actual water volume. SPS corals, refugium with chaeto, Deltec 600i skimmer, pair of clowns, pair of cardinals, pair of filefish, a dottyback, and a blenny are the fish.

I'm thinking of ordering the oxydator A and using 1 catalyst with 6% solution. Anything the experts would recommend doing differently?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few small patches of turf algae show up and treated them by applying 3% hydrogen peroxide to them. The algae went away and I was amazed at how clear the tank was the following day, now I'm interested in adding an oxydator.

Tank is 45G based on dimensions, sump is 23G according to manufacturer. I'm guessing 55-60 gallons of actual water volume. SPS corals, refugium with chaeto, Deltec 600i skimmer, pair of clowns, pair of cardinals, pair of filefish, a dottyback, and a blenny are the fish.

I'm thinking of ordering the oxydator A and using 1 catalyst with 6% solution. Anything the experts would recommend doing differently?
An Oxydator will help with algae control by raising the redox. I would use 6% with the 2 catalysts provided. As always keep an eye on all corals for the first half hour of introducing the Oxydator.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back