Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably BRS or EcoTech ‍♂️. One of them told me if it’s so great why isn’t it all over the LFSs and on BRS ‍♂️
Good question and I have often pondered the same question. Maybe it's got something to do with competition for the equipment they sell after all there is quite a price difference and money rules. Sochting hold the patent and seem quite happy not to advertise it. I guess they get enough sales as it is but it does seem strange they don't seem to promote them.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha!

I did wonder though if they are good enough to keep a tank going oxygen wise during a power outage. That alone is priceless.
Indeed and again I have seen Oxydators do just that. They really are amazing pieces of simple equipment perhaps just too good and simple for some.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed and again I have seen Oxydators do just that. They really are amazing pieces of simple equipment perhaps just too good and simple for some.

These days - modern reefers are allergenic to simple [emoji135]‍♂️. At least in the US [emoji28]. I think the Euros got it down [emoji848].

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a "system", no water changes unless required, I would never run a tank without an oxydator! ;)

DSC_0002 (5) (1024x682).jpg

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger on a mini one for my nano reef several months ago, the volume is 8 gallon so i only use one catalyst. So far (2 months) i do notice that my glass doesn´t need cleaning of film algae every 2/3 days, i do it now once a week with my water change. Also my sps testers seem to be happier, maybe the PAR improved with a "cleaner" water. So far, so good, already ordered a model A for my 55! www.aquaristikshop.com carries them but it takes a while to arrive from Germany

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger on a mini one for my nano reef several months ago, the volume is 8 gallon so i only use one catalyst. So far (2 months) i do notice that my glass doesn´t need cleaning of film algae every 2/3 days, i do it now once a week with my water change. Also my sps testers seem to be happier, maybe the PAR improved with a "cleaner" water. So far, so good, already ordered a model A for my 55! www.aquaristikshop.com carries them but it takes a while to arrive from Germany

Theshrimptank shipped the A model to me really fast like in 3 business days. Highly recommend them.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the upper limit of peroxide concentration? Been running 9% for a few years and n issues
I a reef aquarium I would not run more than 12% but tne number of catalysts also play an important part. Many years ago I did go beyond 12% in fact to 17% but a Magnifica nem didn't like it. I tend to run 9% with 2 catalysts in my current tank a 60 gallon Red Sea Reefer.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is what I am gonna do. Was being a little impatient getting it setup. Will report back once I finally do get the peroxide in and have it running again.

Also, it could have been something that I was totally not aware of that caused the reaction; it's just coincidentally I start using the oxydator with the store bought peroxide.

Ok so I gave it another go with diluted peroxide. I bought 35% and diluted. Everything is looking just fine. Maybe the issue I had didn't have anything to do with the Oxydator at all. You just have to see if you made any recent changes to the system that would have caused an issue.

I will say that my water doesn't have the greenish tint to it. My Orp also increased closer to the 400mv range. I will continue to use the Oxydator in my setup.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I gave it another go with diluted peroxide. I bought 35% and diluted. Everything is looking just fine. Maybe the issue I had didn't have anything to do with the Oxydator at all. You just have to see if you made any recent changes to the system that would have caused an issue.

I will say that my water doesn't have the greenish tint to it. My Orp also increased closer to the 400mv range. I will continue to use the Oxydator in my setup.

Less glass cleaning? ;)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is kinda what to expect and yes I doubt the Oxydator caused your previous issues. There are so many now using and singing the virtues of Oxydator's it is hard to ignore our observations and successes.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Oxygentator came through in my last power outage. Such a good feeling to know you are covered. It's ability to keep a tank alive during a power outage is reason enough to purchase one.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Oxygentator came through in my last power outage. Such a good feeling to know you are covered. It's ability to keep a tank alive during a power outage is reason enough to purchase one.
Yes an Oxydator can be a lifesaver in such instances and will not only keep lifesaving oxygen in the water but also nullify ammonia to boot.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back