Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would never advising using more than 12% peroxide and use 9% with 2 catalyst myself in the sump of my RSR250.

Hey - I'm glad you replied - can you recommend (I'm not sure why the correct instructions did not come with my oxydator) - I have an RSR XXL 750 - what would you recommend. Thanks - and BTW - it's not mentioned in the instructions - how often (if ever) - do the catalysts need to be replaced)?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - I'm glad you replied - can you recommend (I'm not sure why the correct instructions did not come with my oxydator) - I have an RSR XXL 750 - what would you recommend. Thanks - and BTW - it's not mentioned in the instructions - how often (if ever) - do the catalysts need to be replaced)?
Your tank is a similar size to mine i have a W model which holds a litre of the 12% hydrogen peroxide I use with 2 catalysts, with no issues whatsoever. I have a nem and keep predominantly sps, my rock is covered in small sponges and tube worms, I’ve not used any carbon in years and my tank has no yellowing whatsoever. The catalysts according to sochtings website will last indefinitely, mine look like new still after a few years. A litre will last about 6 weeks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is a similar size to mine i have a W model which holds a litre of the 12% hydrogen peroxide I use with 2 catalysts, with no issues whatsoever. I have a nem and keep predominantly sps, my rock is covered in small sponges and tube worms, I’ve not used any carbon in years and my tank has no yellowing whatsoever. The catalysts according to sochtings website will last indefinitely, mine look like new still after a few years. A litre will last about 6 weeks

Thanks a lot for the info:)

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would the effect of running 3 percent hydrogen peroxide be? More frequent refills?

Lower strength peroxide reacts with the catalyst at a slower rate. If you use 3% peroxide you will refill “less” often than you would with 8 or 12% strength solutions.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lower strength peroxide reacts with the catalyst at a slower rate. If you use 3% peroxide you will refill “less” often than you would with 8 or 12% strength solutions.

But whatever results you were hoping for will be reduced by the same duration - right? - I have one - I use 12%

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But whatever results you were hoping for will be reduced by the same duration - right? - I have one - I use 12%

Not necessarily as there can be a bit of art/voodoo in balancing certain variables.

For example, I was using a mini with 8% in my Nuvo 10 and getting good results. I knocked it down from 10% in order to make it last a full week. I wanted the consistency and I get busy during the week. There was no noticeable difference other than helping my schedule.

Then I upgraded the tank to a Nuvo 20 and put an Oxydator D in with 10% H202. I had a few things visibly react to the heavier dose that the D puts out, as it’s a borderline overly large unit for a 20 gallon. Lowering the concentration to 6% for this tank turned out to be the sweet spot.

This is all being moved into a 40 with a full sump next month. I expect to be back up to 10 or 12% with the D unit in this tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use 12% with two catalyst in a W model. I can’t see lowering it just to last longer. It lasts pretty long as it is, and I’m getting good results.
Right - its chemistry - by the same logic I could lower it to 1 percent - and save more. In reality - the less you use - the less effective it is - the more you use - and above the recommended dose - the more toxic it is. OR?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not necessarily as there can be a bit of art/voodoo in balancing certain variables.

For example, I was using a mini with 8% in my Nuvo 10 and getting good results. I knocked it down from 10% in order to make it last a full week. I wanted the consistency and I get busy during the week. There was no noticeable difference other than helping my schedule.

Then I upgraded the tank to a Nuvo 20 and put an Oxydator D in with 10% H202. I had a few things visibly react to the heavier dose that the D puts out, as it’s a borderline overly large unit for a 20 gallon. Lowering the concentration to 6% for this tank turned out to be the sweet spot.

This is all being moved into a 40 with a full sump next month. I expect to be back up to 10 or 12% with the D unit in this tank.

No clue whether this is transferrable - but - its all about dose - assuming its doing anything in the first place

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue whether this is transferrable - but - its all about dose - assuming its doing anything in the first place
A few other things will affect it not just dosing strength of peroxide. The amount of organics in the water for one, whether you use a skimmer and how efficent it is, stocking level another and last but not least how much you feed. These are all variables and no 2 tanks are the same. One final thing with a strong solution of peroxide all may be fine before but as the water becomes cleaner you may find that the number of catalyst and strength of peroxide used becomes too much for certain animals and you may get a negative reaction from some of them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few other things will affect it not just dosing strength of peroxide. The amount of organics in the water for one, whether you use a skimmer and how efficent it is, stocking level another and last but not least how much you feed. These are all variables and no 2 tanks are the same. One final thing with a strong solution of peroxide all may be fine before but as the water becomes cleaner you may find that the number of catalyst and strength of peroxide used becomes too much for certain animals and you may get a negative reaction from some of them.
Thanks - I'm glad you answered - I have a new one (just started using a couple weeks ago) - I dont notice huge amounts of 'bubbles' or any indication that anything is happening - how do you tell when to change the H2O2

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks - I'm glad you answered - I have a new one (just started using a couple weeks ago) - I dont notice huge amounts of 'bubbles' or any indication that anything is happening - how do you tell when to change the H2O2
PS - I didnt see that @Mortie31 already answered the question @atoll -do you agree - about 6 weeks for a W with 12%

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a “A” model and wondering where you guys get the 35% peroxide at?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a “A” model and wondering where you guys get the 35% peroxide at?

Hydroponics shops have it in stock as "Liquid Oxygen". I'm not sure about closer to Boston, but I pick mine up at HTG supply in Shrewsbury. With growing being legal in MA, I would bet you can find it locally without too much trouble....

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great thread to stumble upon! I started dosing H2O2 last week to combat some nuisance algae in my reef, then I found this. After reading the whole thread I'm sold on them. Have already written to theshrimptank to see about ordering a W model. My tank specs are as follows:

300 gallon display (approx. system volume as well with lagoon and sump included). SPS dominant system. Lagoon has additional sps, LPS, and softies, including about 30 bubble tip anenomes. As stated above, having some small-ish issues with nuisance algae and hoping this will help to combat.

4 large tangs
1 lg foxface
1 blueface angel
4 damsels
2 basslets
2 clowns
1 humu trigger
1 lg PJ cardinal
2 hawkfish
1 goby
adding 3 wrasses soon and some more damsels, perhaps a couple more cardinals. :0)

Feeding 1 sheet nori/day, 2 x NLS pellets, frozen nightly (mysis, LRS chunky)

Have large skimmer, GFO, and marine pure blocks. No algae reactor set up currently though I am planning to do that again!

@atoll Thinking that I'll fill the W with 8.75% solution and 2 catalysts... or perhaps it's best to start with 1? Thanks!!!

Dec2019_300FTS.jpg

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read the thread, but did do a search for "dosing pump" and did not get a hit. So I'm curious if anyone has used a dosing pump for the peroxide. It would seem to me you would have more precise control, could just use typical 3% h2o2 and wouldn't have to refill an in tank container so often. The cost is pretty much negligible. Thoughts?

Back