Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the “A.”

I put in 160 ml of 6% H2O2 and two catalysts. Should that last 4 weeks? I’m unclear on how to predict longevity.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the “A.”

I put in 160 ml of 6% H2O2 and two catalysts. Should that last 4 weeks? I’m unclear on how to predict longevity.

should last 3 to 4 weeks depending on temperature etc. What I would do is leave it a week and check to see roughly how much it has used then check it a week later and do the same. You will then have a very good idea just how long it will last. You won't be far off IME.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I was doing a filter maintenence so there was no flow in the aquarium. With the filter on, only a few bubbles were visible, but without any flow there was a circular wall of tiny bubbles trying to reach the surface. Check the video. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5bb760d2593e2/VID_20181004_210720.mp4

With no flow and looking carefully you may well see extremely fine bubbles exiting the Oxydator almost horizontally and not heading directly for the surface.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should last 3 to 4 weeks depending on temperature etc. What I would do is leave it a week and check to see roughly how much it has used then check it a week later and do the same. You will then have a very good idea just how long it will last. You won't be far off IME.

Dumb question: the chamber will be full of air when empty?

Tamas Ferencz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These bubbles were definitely going up :) with flow bubbles were going horizontally and only a few were visible.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These bubbles were definitely going up :) with flow bubbles were going horizontally and only a few were visible.
Yes but you may also see extremely find ones exiting and moving sideways but you do have to look carefully. The Oxydator produces various size bubbles some you can only see if the light catches them and of course there is what is dissolved in the water

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally refilled my W. It last so long and everything seemed fine so I bumped it up to 12% and 3 catalysts. Four days in and everything still seems good. I had to rearrange my sump a bit, is there much of a down side having the W before the skimmer?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally refilled my W. It last so long and everything seemed fine so I bumped it up to 12% and 3 catalysts. Four days in and everything still seems good. I had to rearrange my sump a bit, is there much of a down side having the W before the skimmer?
Not really but you may notice the skimmate is a lighter colour. I never really noticed a reduction in skimmate to be honest just the lighter colour of it.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving house in the new year and have been doing a bit of sorting out etc. I came across my old log from over 30years ago and a page in it on my experiments with my Oxydator A. bit faded in places due to some of the input being done in pencil, I guess I could go over them in ink.
Not sure you will be able to see but I pushed the peroxide to 16% I believe with 3 catalysts , not good as my H.magnifica reacted negatively to the high levels. Make of it as you will, any questions just ask.

oxy.jpg

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
atoll I would love to read a breakdown of your system. I have read through much of the oxydator post and going to order one for sure for my new fish only build. Also have been reading your thoughts on PaulB’s quarantine post. Really think I can glean some great insights from aquarists like yourself and Paul!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
atoll I would love to read a breakdown of your system. I have read through much of the oxydator post and going to order one for sure for my new fish only build. Also have been reading your thoughts on PaulB’s quarantine post. Really think I can glean some great insights from aquarists like yourself and Paul!
Nothing really remarkable about my system perhaps with the unusual fact I don't use prefiltration at all unless you wish to call a skimmer a sort of prefiltration. However here is a rundown.
Tank is 54" long 22" deep 19" front to back. Approx 100 gallons in total inc sump.
In tank I have about 1.1/2" of fine and medium grade reeflowers sand.
Live rock reefscape using acrylic rods to make caves, towers and overhangs.
I have a lot and I mean a LOT of water flow. 2 x maxspect 150 gyres and a 130. 2 x Tunze 6040 controllable pumps and a jeboa 8000 return pump.
Lighting 3 x Radions XR30 gen 3 pros. 4 x T5s with various tubes inc actinics and reef blues. Small LED 6000k spotlight over my magnifica nem.
In sump.
An Atlantis 2 waterfall ATS that I converted to a 2.5 by adding 4 extra red LEDs.
Nyos 160 skimmer.
CO2 scrubber attached to the skimmer.
Siporax in a DIY basket.
Skimz calcium reactor with a degasser.
Heating by an external thermostat with SS heaters.
Think that covers it all.

20180504_174222.jpeg

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really remarkable about my system perhaps with the unusual fact I don't use prefiltration at all unless you wish to call a skimmer a sort of prefiltration. However here is a rundown.
Tank is 54" long 22" deep 19" front to back. Approx 100 gallons in total inc sump.
In tank I have about 1.1/2" of fine and medium grade reeflowers sand.
Live rock reefscape using acrylic rods to make caves, towers and overhangs.
I have a lot and I mean a LOT of water flow. 2 x maxspect 150 gyres and a 130. 2 x Tunze 6040 controllable pumps and a jeboa 8000 return pump.
Lighting 3 x Radions XR30 gen 3 pros. 4 x T5s with various tubes inc actinics and reef blues. Small LED 6000k spotlight over my magnifica nem.
In sump.
An Atlantis 2 waterfall ATS that I converted to a 2.5 by adding 4 extra red LEDs.
Nyos 160 skimmer.
CO2 scrubber attached to the skimmer.
Siporax in a DIY basket.
Skimz calcium reactor with a degasser.
Heating by an external thermostat with SS heaters.
Think that covers it all.

20180504_174222.jpeg

Thanks so much! Always nice to compare thought process in both successes and failures of experiences aquarists!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! Always nice to compare thought process in both successes and failures of experiences aquarists!
I forgot the 2 X Oxydator model As in the sump running 2 catalysts and 9% peroxide each. [emoji849]

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my Sander ozoniser years ago with an Oxydator and wouldn't go back to one for a number of ressons.

Any reasons you would care to elaborate on? I am setting up a 650 gallon system. Now a W is the best I know but can only find those in Europe right now. Would two smaller sizes work as well?

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a W in my sump with 2 catalyst and 12% H2O2. This is in a 220ish total water volume. In hindsight I should have purchased 2 smaller units, it would have been easier to get in and out of my sump. Depending on your sump set up, this may not be an issue.

Good luck with the new build.

Dave

Back