Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused on this topic, peroxide automatically breaks down to h20 and 02 by itself (albeit slowly).

All this device is doing is dosing peroxide??
why not just use a doser.... anyone who is dosing could you tell us if its the same affect? @CuzzA (hellow fellow TB reefer!)

what makes this special.
What makes it special,
Well you could google it for exactly how it works but here are a few reasons many consider the Oxydator "special:
No electricity used.
Cheap to buy and run.
Just about nothing to go wrong.
No programming needed.
Auto adjusting.
Very easy to maintain once dialed in nothing more to do other than fill it when needed.
Ever lasting, the catalysts may need replacing after many years which are cheap to buy.
I mat have missed a few things but there ya go.
images.jpeg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW unless you have a tank the size of around 1000gallon never use 30% peroxide in an Oxydator. Although you can use the model W in a tanks sump it was designed for a pond not an aquarium.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll thank you for clarifying, as I have a spare doser I have started h2o2 dosing 1ml/gallon for my gha, so far things are looking good.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll thank you for clarifying, as I have a spare doser I have started h2o2 dosing 1ml/gallon for my gha, so far things are looking good.
Glad to be of help. Both do similar things, one is just much simpler cheaper and easier to use IMO

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for there to be a fast constant stream of lots and lots of little bubbles at first?
Filled mine for the first time today.
Like there are a huge amount of bubbles atm

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I am slightly confused about this whole thing. So the catalyst converts H202 to oxygen and H20?
But as it converts this, does the oxygen and water not just sit on the top of the container and it is the h202 being pushed out the little hole at the bottom, as opposed to the oxygen we want? Or is this effectively just super minima but constant dosing of h202 caused by the catalyst reacting pushing h202 out?
I feel it would make more sense for the hole to be at the top? Therefore as h202 gets catalysed the oxygen rises and is released at the top?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I am slightly confused about this whole thing. So the catalyst converts H202 to oxygen and H20?
But as it converts this, does the oxygen and water not just sit on the top of the container and it is the h202 being pushed out the little hole at the bottom, as opposed to the oxygen we want? Or is this effectively just super minima but constant dosing of h202 caused by the catalyst reacting pushing h202 out?
I feel it would make more sense for the hole to be at the top? Therefore as h202 gets catalysed the oxygen rises and is released at the top?
OK peroxide breaks down via the catalyst creating a little pressure which in turn forces very small amounts of peroxide out of the hole. As the peroxide escapes via the vial it quickly begins to break down into "super" oxygen. Any left is further broken down by the sides of the ceramic beaker so little peroxide actually exits the Oxydator.
When first introduced or after refilling you will often notice lots of tiny bubbles exiting the Oxydator. If you are on Facebook why not join the Oxydator user group where you will find lots of info on Oxydators in the files and discussion forums.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ordered a model W yesterday. Was leaning towards getting two model A's for my 243 gallon Reefer 900 but everyone is out of stock or wouldn't ship from Europe so... I have room in my return chamber for the W (barely) but it should fit.

Question - I have a small undersized (for this tank) 15 watt UV Sterilizer. You think it would be a problem to run both the Oxydator and the UV?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a model W yesterday. Was leaning towards getting two model A's for my 243 gallon Reefer 900 but everyone is out of stock or wouldn't ship from Europe so... I have room in my return chamber for the W (barely) but it should fit.

Question - I have a small undersized (for this tank) 15 watt UV Sterilizer. You think it would be a problem to run both the Oxydator and the UV?
Shouldn't be a problem but as with anything watch the tank closely for at least half an hour when you add the Oxydator.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the reply, atoll. It’s broken in nicely
Depending on the clarity of your water prior to using your Oxydator, usually you will find greater water clarity. Other improvements include a rise in redox with many corals showing stretching out and better polyp extension on the likes of SPS and others.

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the clarity of your water prior to using your Oxydator, usually you will find greater water clarity. Other improvements include a rise in redox with many corals showing stretching out and better polyp extension on the likes of SPS and others.
Water Clarity is definitely one of the reasons for it. I've got hazy water despite floss, carbon, purigen and macro's so I'm hoping this will do the trick, although haven't noticed too much so far but its very early days. Look forward to seeing the changes!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Clarity is definitely one of the reasons for it. I've got hazy water despite floss, carbon, purigen and macro's so I'm hoping this will do the trick, although haven't noticed too much so far but its very early days. Look forward to seeing the changes!
Depending on just what it is clouding your water it can take anything from an hour to a couple of days or more. As reported by others.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on just what it is clouding your water it can take anything from an hour to a couple of days or more. As reported by others.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just installed the model W. Just fits with two return pumps in the return chamber of the sump. Micro but bubbles at first as expected. Hoping for the best. Running 12% with two catalysts. Roughly how long before I can expect to see it float?
F9CE862D-C85A-454C-90F0-3E7B440956BB.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back