Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not quite. A small amount of peroxide may well entre the surrounding water however usually that in itself is quickly broken down into what the manufacturer calls super oxygen and water.think of super oxygen as you would ozone.

How much peroxide escapes into the surrounding water will depend on the strength of peroxide used and the number of catalysts.

In the case of the Oxydator A and W models not only is peroxide broken down by the catalysts forcing peroxide out but the ceramic beaker itself helps to break down escaping peroxide as it is made from a similar ceramic to the catalysts which contain a small amount of silver.
BTW - I just quoted their product information - and if you google it - you can see its recommended for many 'shrimp' tanks - so to answer the person's question - its safe....

"

Söchting Oxydator XL (W)​

Söchting's oxydator XL is suitable for fish tanks containing 400 to 4000 litres. This oxydator ensures that the water is equipped with pure oxygen. This works on the following chemical reaction:

2H2O2 -----> 2H2O + O2

This reaction is fully noiseless. This reaction also ensures that co2 is not dissipated out of the aquarium. Because the oxygen is pure and is liberated under water it's spreading easily and quick throughout the whole aquarium.

This fact makes the Söchting oxydator an excellent biological filter. The Söchting oxydator converts organic waste to usable substances under the following chemical reaction:

NH4+ + 2O2 -----> NO3- + H2O + 2H+

NH4+ are the excretions of animals and NO3 can be absorbed by aquarium plants.

Pure oxygen increases the redox potential (the oxidizing power) of your aquarium en is very effective against algae. Shrimp also have benefit from this increase and will breed more easily.

Persistence:

The operational time depends of water temperature, the concentration of oxidator solution and the number of catalysts. At a higher temperature the duration of action is shorter.

Contents:

The content consists of a plastic fluid container with a lid, 1 oxidator stone, a ceramic holder including strip to keep the fluid container in place. This oxidator is delivered without oxidator fluid. It is up to you to purchase the fluid separately."

EDIT - obviously this description is freshwater

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what conflicting information you have read as I am sure I can clear that up for you? I have been using Oxydators more years than many have lived so far that are on here.

BTW we have an Oxydator user group on facebook with lots of information in the files section as well as in the open forum if you would like to join us.
Some people say they're useless and some people say they're incredible. Some people say they clean your water, some say it doesn't. Is it H2O2 dosing or O2 + H2O? Does it help with algae or not? I question why they aren't more popular in the US if they are as amazing as everyone says, but I'm new to the hobby, so I don't know how trends work in reefing yet.

I've just seen little data on what the actual benefits are, and there is SOME risk if the concentration was off or user error occurred.

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I just quoted their product information - and if you google it - you can see its recommended for many 'shrimp' tanks - so to answer the person's question - its safe....

"

Söchting's oxydator XL is suitable for fish tanks containing 400 to 4000 litres. This oxydator ensures that the water is equipped with pure oxygen. This works on the following chemical reaction:

2H2O2 -----> 2H2O + O2

This reaction is fully noiseless. This reaction also ensures that co2 is not dissipated out of the aquarium. Because the oxygen is pure and is liberated under water it's spreading easily and quick throughout the whole aquarium.

This fact makes the Söchting oxydator an excellent biological filter. The Söchting oxydator converts organic waste to usable substances under the following chemical reaction:

Pure oxygen increases the redox potential (the oxidizing power) of your aquarium en is very effective against algae. Shrimp also have benefit from this increase and will breed more easily.

Persistence:

The operational time depends of water temperature, the concentration of oxidator solution and the number of catalysts. At a higher temperature the duration of action is shorter.

Contents:

The content consists of a plastic fluid container with a lid, 1 oxidator stone, a ceramic holder including strip to keep the fluid container in place. This oxidator is delivered without oxidator fluid. It is up to you to purchase the fluid separately."

Cleaner shrimp in particular are very sensitive to H2O2, I believe it's one genus, so it wouldn't necessarily apply to all shrimp species.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So question. I've probably asked this previously but don't remember. Would i get any benefit Running a w in my 120 gal with 3% peroxide and 2 catalyst? The 6% and 12% are extremely expensive to get where i live but the 3% is readily available. Am I wasting my time Running the 3%?
Be aware - at room temperature - after opening - peroxide expires after about 3 months. I buy the 12 precent - and keep it refrigerated - they give a time limit with and without refrigeration.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cleaner shrimp in particular are very sensitive to H2O2, I believe it's one genus, so it wouldn't necessarily apply to all shrimp species.
This has been widely debated - and I don't believe its true (at least with the oxydator) - like I said before - its dosage and concentration and how quickly the dose is delivered.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - curious - not wanting to argue - but - where are you seeing this - that cleaner shrimp are more susceptible to H2O2 - besides occasional anectotes - that said 'my shrimp died' and other anecdotes that say 'there is no effect on shrimp'? I tried to look it up for you - to me there is no evidence that cleaner shrimp are more affected than anything else

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - curious - not wanting to argue - but - where are you seeing this - that cleaner shrimp are more susceptible to H2O2 - besides occasional anectotes - that said 'my shrimp died' and other anecdotes that say 'there is no effect on shrimp'? I tried to look it up for you - to me there is no evidence that cleaner shrimp are more affected than anything else
Anecdotes both ways. I tried looking it up as well. - it just routs you right back to reef2reef, so I've read it several times on this forum. Probably shouldn't have said it so confidently. What I mean to say is that there might be a risk, and is it worth it?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"

2H2O2 -----> 2H2O + O2

Persistence:

Contents:

Glad you added the edit to say the description is for FW. However it seems with marine shrimp it may not be that simple. Much I suspect will be dependent on how much peroxide is used. There are videos on YouTube of FW shrimp crawling over Oxydators and in fact seemingly seeking them out. However as we know the composition and density of saltwater is somewhat different and I would urge caution with the strength and number of catalysts when you have saltwater shrimp. Perhaps those who have had shrimps using Oxydators could add their experiences. Personally I have not experienced any issues but then it's been sometime since I kept shrimps in any of my tanks while using Oxydators.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anecdotes both ways. I tried looking it up as well. - it just routs you right back to reef2reef, so I've read it several times on this forum. Probably shouldn't have said it so confidently. What I mean to say is that there might be a risk, and is it worth it?
To me - toxins are dose dependent. If you're concerned - try 1/2 the recommended dose - or 1/4. And gradually increase it. The oxydator (I dont see) how it could be a risk. Hope all this discussion helped rather than confused.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me - toxins are dose dependent. If you're concerned - try 1/2 the recommended dose - or 1/4. And gradually increase it. The oxydator (I dont see) how it could be a risk. Hope all this discussion helped rather than confused.
I can assure you that if you go OTT with peroxide or the number of catalysts that animals will suffer the consequences. I have had anemones turn inside out when I was experimenting with Oxydators many moons ago. When first installing an Oxydator I always suggest that you watch the tank closely for at the the first half hour to ensure nothing reacts negatively. However, few people reports any negative affects apart from an initial drop in ORP which usually increases beyond the origional reading prior to installing the Oxydator.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been widely debated - and I don't believe its true (at least with the oxydator) - like I said before - its dosage and concentration and how quickly the dose is delivered.
I didn’t know this I buy it in 5L containers which last 6 months or more... I use 12% so maybe some peroxide left as I haven’t had to use carbon in years and tank “seems” to be clear of yellowing organics...

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meant to quote this sorry @MnFish1 ”Be aware - at room temperature - after opening - peroxide expires after about 3 months. I buy the 12 precent - and keep it refrigerated - they give a time limit with and without refrigeration.“

know this I buy it in 5L containers which last 6 months or more... I use 12% so maybe some peroxide left as I haven’t had to use carbon in years and tank “seems” to be clear of yellowing organics..

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be putting a modelD in the bottom of a canister filter in my office tank as soon as it’s finished cycling, it will interesting to see how it works in there.. my only concern will be the effect on the bacteria colonising my media directly above it..

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be putting a modelD in the bottom of a canister filter in my office tank as soon as it’s finished cycling, it will interesting to see how it works in there.. my only concern will be the effect on the bacteria colonising my media directly above it..
I would use a low concentration if you intend to.put am Oxydator inside a canister filter.for 2 reasons. 1/ the peroxiddcwill.last longer and 2/ you dont6want to prevent aerobic bacteria from colonizing the media above. Remember peroxide is a potent bleach and I have never heard of anybody putting one in a canister filter.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a low concentration if you intend to.put am Oxydator inside a canister filter.for 2 reasons. 1/ the peroxiddcwill.last longer and 2/ you dont6want to prevent aerobic bacteria from colonizing the media above. Remember peroxide is a potent bleach and I have never heard of anybody putting one in a canister filter.
Yeah I haven’t heard of it before, so I’ll run it very low 3% 1 catalyst. I’m also trying to place it where it will channel back to the tank fastest with minimal impact on the media above. As the filter is relatively high flow 650L/ hr through an 18L canister I’m not sure if it will last longer or not. it’s also the impact on anaerobic bacteria that is the real unknown for me and if it will completely inhibit it, but then again I’m not entirely convinced of how well siprolex hosts them anyway. i have sufficient LR and sand bed to host them... (I think). I’m running skimmerless as well so, which is another reason to try it for me... do you think it’s pushing the use to far?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I haven’t heard of it before, so I’ll run it very low 3% 1 catalyst. I’m also trying to place it where it will channel back to the tank fastest with minimal impact on the media above. As the filter is relatively high flow 650L/ hr through an 18L canister I’m not sure if it will last longer or not. it’s also the impact on anaerobic bacteria that is the real unknown for me and if it will completely inhibit it, but then again I’m not entirely convinced of how well siprolex hosts them anyway. i have sufficient LR and sand bed to host them... (I think). I’m running skimmerless as well so, which is another reason to try it for me... do you think it’s pushing the use to far?
Your going into unknown territory with your intentions and not easy to predict. Is there some reason why you want to put it in a canister filter rather than a sump or tank itself?

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me how some of these products exist for yrs..and people keep falling for them...

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me how some of these products exist for yrs..and people keep falling for them...
What amazes me is there has been a product available and well used in Europe for over 40 years with prevent results and yet only in recent years the likes of the US have hardly know about it. I have been telling people about Oxydator's on here and other US forums for many years. I don't sell Oxydator's just believe in them and the technology is provent over many years. Amazes me why so many in the likes of the US haven't heard if them. Mind you if the likes of BRS sold them then it might be different. I personally have been using Oxydator's for over 30 years along with a few friends here in the UK and Europe. They are cheap, efficent, easy to use require no electricity and are cheap to run. Oxydators need no maintenance apart from refilling and after years the catalysts replaced. Oxydators aren't some new fangled contraption here today gone tomorrow.
I hold my hand up as I have been instrumental in bringing Oxydator's to the attention of many.They are here to stay why not try one for yourself.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"why not try one for yourself."...I think I remember seeing this thing hyped on the inside back cover of FAMA magazine way back in the day.. I looked into it...and thought the same thing I do now...no thanks...

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my display refugium, I run a D that sits by the inlet of my skimmer, both running two catalysts and currently 6% as I can't get 9% currently, I have been using them for about 10 years now and would never run a tank without one.
I also run a mini in my Evo 52 Litre, same combo as above. :)

DSC_0010 (1024x677).jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back