Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5ltr of 12% peroxide lasts me about 6 months filling my Oxydator A every week. I can't say I have ever noticed it degrading in that time.
Years ago I used stronger stuff which we bought in 25ltr that is used to clear algae in swimming pools that had stabilizers added. However we didn't keep much in the way of SPS then but we never noticed any issues using it.

vlnemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a dosing pump for a month at a time basically until the bottle ran out. I think only issue (like overdosing anything) is what happens if the doser sticks on. The oxydator should hopefully be a safer alternative but I have yet to buy one.
vl
An Oxydtor won't reduce your NO3I am afraid. If you NO3 hasn't come down then either your ATS isn't big enough or perhaps you don't have enough surface area to grow denitrifying bacteria in. The carbon doing is to encourage denitrifying bacteria (as far as I am aware) to grow but if there is not enough suitable places for it to colonise then it isn't going to work efficiently. I have used NoPox in the past to good effect
o bring down NO3.
This is my tank now after 3 years using oxydator A with 9% solution.I put my ats away, put in the sump siporax an oxydator and with water changes at the beggining, my NO3 start dropping. Now i am at 0,5 to1 ppm NO3 and without any water change for about 2 years. Crystal clear water ( start also dsr products before 2 years ago and use a powerfilter witch help to the clarity). But for a year and a half (2017-2019) i used only siporax and oxydator and there was a big different to my tank.( More clear water, better colors, and stop cleaning the glass any other day)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201117-175833.png
    Screenshot_20201117-175833.png
    659.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20201111_151851.jpg
    IMG_20201111_151851.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 85

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vl

This is my tank now after 3 years using oxydator A with 9% solution.I put my ats away, put in the sump siporax an oxydator and with water changes at the beggining, my NO3 start dropping. Now i am at 0,5 to1 ppm NO3 and without any water change for about 2 years. Crystal clear water ( start also dsr products before 2 years ago and use a powerfilter witch help to the clarity). But for a year and a half (2017-2019) i used only siporax and oxydator and there was a big different to my tank.( More clear water, better colors, and stop cleaning the glass any other day)

There are people on here who don't want to hear that lol. Nice tank by the way, congratulations.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people on here who don't want to hear that lol. Nice tank by the way, congratulations.
I started reading this thread and realized there’s 37 pages so this question might have already been asked but would you recommend an oxidater for a 30 gallon AIO? I have a protein skimmer in one of the back chambers and filter floss and Purigen in the other chamber . I also have a surface skimmer that I use off and on. Also for the Peroxide is it the food safe kind? Again sorry if these questions have already been asked. :)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started reading this thread and realized there’s 37 pages so this question might have already been asked but would you recommend an oxidater for a 30 gallon AIO? I have a protein skimmer in one of the back chambers and filter floss and Purigen in the other chamber . I also have a surface skimmer that I use off and on. Also for the Peroxide is it the food safe kind? Again sorry if these questions have already been asked. :)
AIO? Sorry.
An Oxydator model.D ir even a mini would do fine. I have used both food grade and none food grade with no apparent issues
However, I would recommend food grade to be on the safe side. The none food grade contain stabilizers to prevent the peroxide degrading to quickly.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the question is......where the hell can we get these gizmos?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure what room there is in the back of your tank, I have a mini in an Evo 13.5 G but in the display, is there any room in the skimmer section or the section before, I would place it there, my smaller D in the big tank is right by the skimmer inlet?

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what room there is in the back of your tank, I have a mini in an Evo 13.5 G but in the display, is there any room in the skimmer section or the section before, I would place it there, my smaller D in the big tank is right by the skimmer inlet?
Yes there is definitely room, can you tell me which one you have in the 13.5 ? And is that the correct peroxide? Thanks :)

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vl

Nice tank! How/why does the oxidator have an impact on your nitrates?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the question is......where the hell can we get these gizmos?
would just 'google it' - they are not available (AFAIK) in the US - directly. I ordered mine from an online company in Canada - (sorry don't remember the name) - I see them on Amazon currently

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 5ltr of 12% peroxide lasts me about 6 months filling my Oxydator A every week. I can't say I have ever noticed it degrading in that time.
Years ago I used stronger stuff which we bought in 25ltr that is used to clear algae in swimming pools that had stabilizers added. However we didn't keep much in the way of SPS then but we never noticed any issues using it.
Do you keep it refrigerated? I frankly (without tasting it) - know how much or whether its degrading - only what the instructions that came with it (and on the jug) - say.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you keep it refrigerated? I frankly (without tasting it) - know how much or whether its degrading - only what the instructions that came with it (and on the jug) - say.
I keep it in the dark in my shed. The fridge would be better but 5 litre container takes up a lot of space but you yanks tend to have much larger refrigerators. lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep it in the dark in my shed. The fridge would be better but 5 litre container takes up a lot of space but you yanks tend to have much larger refrigerators. lol
We keep it in our 'extra' small refrigerator. :)

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5 days with Oxydator A with 2 cat and 12% peroxide. 90g tank. Water still yellow, no improvement at all.

Attachments

• 20210210_133448.jpg
    20210210_133448.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 68
Back