Anyway to make this stand stronger?

LeckyLegs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The front is where the cabinet door will be but it wouldn't offer any structural support. It's just the 3 panels that will be supporting it vertically, I fear it won't be sturdy enough to hold the 20 gallon tank and it has a slight wobble to it already. Maybe if I Wood glue the connection points and install a 2x4 in the centre for extra support?
IMG_20210101_184759.jpg

OP
OP
L

LeckyLegs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For something that small, you don’t need much support. Honestly, even a 1x2 would be plenty across that front edge. If you were to build a frame out of 1X2 that goes inside that front opening, that should do the job.
I'll try that thank you, also this is the top of the stand, do you think that large square hole will be a problem? It's a rimless cube tank that will be on a foam matt
IMG_20210101_184654.jpg

Upvote 0

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hole wont be a problem. There isn't going to be a lot of weight with a tank that small. That stand will hold it with no problems. The only issue with particle board stands ( if that is what it is ) is getting wet will weaken it. Honestly i've had a 65 gallon freshwater tank on particleboard stand for 10 years now and its still fine. Will it last another 10? I'll probably replace it before then.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LeckyLegs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hole wont be a problem. There isn't going to be a lot of weight with a tank that small. That stand will hold it with no problems. The only issue with particle board stands ( if that is what it is ) is getting wet will weaken it. Honestly i've had a 65 gallon freshwater tank on particleboard stand for 10 years now and its still fine. Will it last another 10? I'll probably replace it before then.

No idea what type of wood it is but surely I could paint it or put some adhesive waterproof sheets on it to avoid that

Upvote 0

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what type of wood it is but surely I could paint it or put some adhesive waterproof sheets on it to avoid that
Looks like it is painted, but you could spray on some polyurethane just to be sure. I don't think you have anything to worry about as is, I just like to go the extra step for peace of mind.

Upvote 0
Back