AP700 over 72” with bracing issues.

BigBearMD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super excited about my new tank. I’ll start a build thread soon. I think I might have a problem already.

It’s a 72” tank with bracing at 24” and 48”. I wasn’t expecting the bracing but it has the canopy so it doesn’t really matter.

The issue is I bought two AP700s expecting to center them at 18” in on both sides to maximize the 36” coverage.

Anyone have any experience with this? I don’t want to open the lights just to be irritated with the bracing shadows.

7cb672b335a8242030524c89939f6675.heic

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you weren't expecting bracing you should mention this to the buildier if this is a new tank. Perhaps you can get it replaced with euro bracing? Even if it's not new you could perhaps have someone do that for you. I've never seen this kind of plastic and glass bracing. About 10 years ago I cut my center brace and replaced it with clear acrylic because T5's cast a shadow and I haven't looked back. Of course now that the diy bracing is 10 years old its a little hazy and casts a tiny shadow but nothing compared to a regular black bracing or black / glass bracing like what you have.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bracing should not cause an issue with the AP700. I have one and it is a great light in my opinion but you will have shadowing throughout the tank as you would with most LEDs. I supplement T5s with my AP700, which works out very well for me. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with the AP700 on the LED front. Just my humbled, partially biased, opinion.

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear your trouble. I too had an issue. Ran three AI52 on a 48 inch tank with a center brace. The middle fixture sat right above the brace and drove me crazy with the shadow. I had to add T5 supplements to get rid of problem. Finally wound up getting rid of third Hydra because of the center brace shadow. I'd try and rig the lights now and you will get a decent idea of how bad the shadow is. Hopefully with the AP700 only having two pucks you won't have that bad of a problem on your hands.

OP
OP
BigBearMD

BigBearMD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bracing should not cause an issue with the AP700. I have one and it is a great light in my opinion but you will have shadowing throughout the tank as you would with most LEDs. I supplement T5s with my AP700, which works out very well for me. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with the AP700 on the LED front. Just my humbled, partially biased, opinion.

I was considering T5 supplements even before saw the bracing.

I am also considering a third AP700 which would be a lot of light over a 6ft tank or possible returning the 700s and getting three Kessil A360WE.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 3 AP700s you will have good coverage and can even turn them the width of the tank. The 360s are great as well as the radions. Guess it depends on your preference. Adding a T5 to my tank has made such a big difference for me. I think LED/T5 combos are an excellent way to go.

OP
OP
BigBearMD

BigBearMD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 3 AP700s you will have good coverage and can even turn them the width of the tank. The 360s are great as well as the radions. Guess it depends on your preference. Adding a T5 to my tank has made such a big difference for me. I think LED/T5 combos are an excellent way to go.

Decisions, Decisions...

For now I'm going to work on plumbing and cycling. I figure I'll have more than a month while cycling to finish the lighting choice.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back