Apex and Dos for water change

Mike H2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at getting awc. Apex with dos. Im assuming just the controller and dos pumps is all I need ? Is it’s worth the extra $ for the bundle with the power bar and probes ?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at getting awc. Apex with dos. Im assuming just the controller and dos pumps is all I need ? Is it’s worth the extra $ for the bundle with the power bar and probes ?
Have an apex, bought the dos over the weekend for 1% awc. Was surprised at the noise. I dose triton with brs pumps on timers, which are silent.
Imagine a whine every 17 minutes for 3 minutes. Of course very programmable, so you can schedule the whine if you are not home during the day.
I'm doing it manually at feeding. 2 pitchers in, 2 out until I have a better solution.
Get the bundle with the power box and probes.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an apex, bought the dos over the weekend for 1% awc. Was surprised at the noise. I dose triton with brs pumps on timers, which are silent.
Imagine a whine every 17 minutes for 3 minutes. Of course very programmable, so you can schedule the whine if you are not home during the day.
I'm doing it manually at feeding. 2 pitchers in, 2 out until I have a better solution.
Get the bundle with the power box and probes.

Thats a bummer. I have a buddie using dos for AWC and it is ridiculous how loud that is so it not just you.

twwety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea its louder the the more you want to change out a day. At 2 gallons a day I could hear it but at 1 gallon its very quite. You also don't need to keep the DOS under the tank I keep mine in the utility room about 16 feet away so the noise isn't an issue.

OP
OP
Mike H2020

Mike H2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea its louder the the more you want to change out a day. At 2 gallons a day I could hear it but at 1 gallon its very quite. You also don't need to keep the DOS under the tank I keep mine in the utility room about 16 feet away so the noise isn't an issue.
My tank is on the main floor ; looks like I drill a couple of small holes in floor and keep dos, fresh salt water and drain direct in basement. This keeps looking more promising

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is on the main floor ; looks like I drill a couple of small holes in floor and keep dos, fresh salt water and drain direct in basement. This keeps looking more promising
The dos must be within 6 feet of apex controller, unless you can extend usb cables.

OP
OP
Mike H2020

Mike H2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is becoming an infuriating hobby. Now I need to be marine biologist, chemist, plumber and computer programmer....unfortunately I’m none of the above

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOS does the job very well, and it’s simple, but as already said the noise is very annoying.

My units are outside in a shed and I can still here them whining away, so I do water changes in the early hours of the morning

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dos is an extremely capable pump. I own 3 and will be getting a 4th here in a few days. I’m toggling between three different alk additives based on pH and chasing each dose with the appropriate amount of ultra concentrated CaCl. Another unit is being used for a diy alkalinity tester. I love the variable speed, reversible directions, soft off capability, dash tiles and much more.

that being said, using one for an auto water change is just a waste of money and a huge nuisance with the noise. BRS 50ml pumps are much more quiet and half the cost. Significantly stronger too.

Attachments

• C749B780-E843-4415-B83C-1DC08D99C94F.jpeg
    C749B780-E843-4415-B83C-1DC08D99C94F.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Mike H2020

Mike H2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dos is an extremely capable pump. I own 3 and will be getting a 4th here in a few days. I’m toggling between three different alk additives based on pH and chasing each dose with the appropriate amount of ultra concentrated CaCl. Another unit is being used for a diy alkalinity tester. I love the variable speed, reversible directions, soft off capability, dash tiles and much more.

that being said, using one for an auto water change is just a waste of money and a huge nuisance with the noise. BRS 50ml pumps are much more quiet and half the cost. Significantly stronger too.
Do the BRS pumps work off of the apex as well ? At least with the dos I do have the capability of dosing if needed

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech Versas are superior to the DOS for AWCs. Inaudible for typical volumes if doing continuous water changes and no controller required.

As many in this thread have stated, DOS units are ridiculously loud. I had mine across the house and could hear it in my bedroom easily.

OP
OP
Mike H2020

Mike H2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech Versas are superior to the DOS for AWCs. Inaudible for typical volumes if doing continuous water changes and no controller required.

As many in this thread have stated, DOS units are ridiculously loud. I had mine across the house and could hear it in my bedroom easily.
So I’d need 2 of them ? Now problem is finding them in stock

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the BRS pumps work off of the apex as well ? At least with the dos I do have the capability of dosing if needed
Yes of course. It can be as simple as a timer or complex using “manual” awc overrides, float switches for safety, etc etc

fallback off
Osc 000:00/060:00/660:00 then on
If output SUMP_HIGH = ON then OFF
If output SUMP_LOW = ON then OFF
If output RES_LOW = ON then OFF

That would be something for a simple 1.6 gallon per day change.

OP
OP
Mike H2020

Mike H2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes of course. It can be as simple as a timer or complex using “manual” awc overrides, float switches for safety, etc etc

fallback off
Osc 000:00/060:00/660:00 then on
If output SUMP_HIGH = ON then OFF
If output SUMP_LOW = ON then OFF
If output RES_LOW = ON then OFF

That would be something for a simple 1.6 gallon per day change.
See that seems a bit complicated; does extra cost of the dos provide more plug and play and less programming ?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that seems a bit complicated; does extra cost of the dos provide more plug and play and less programming ?
Yes. They have a guide on how to set them up infusion("tasks" I believe).

I do have a DOS as a doser, but I don't think I would ever use it as an AWC. Just too dang loud at higher speeds(I can still hear it in a coat closet behind my tank, and at the slowest speed.).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back