Apex Controller....... oh the things you can do!!

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my controller. I just added a second temp probe, turns out my tank is 1 degree warmer than my sump, go figure. I also just integrated an IP camera into the system, can see streaming video from my dashboard now. Next step is to enable access from the Internet. I travel for work and want to be able to check on the tank.

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the controller could detect and one could code for current draw of an outlet. This would validate that if an outlet was on but there was no draw then alert such as a pump failing. Also I wish they had a module for PWM support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering how to set up the apex system to my solenoid ATO

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use the switch on and off via break-out box and put the outlet on a timer Also validate that you have the solenoid in outlet 4 or 8. I also like to add the defer command so you don't get chatter.

Fishman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's Chinese to me! I do not yet own my own apex but I am planning on getting one in the very near future. Hopefully u guys can help me set it up and aid me in any problems I might run into.

Tommy

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's Chinese to me! I do not yet own my own apex but I am planning on getting one in the very near future. Hopefully u guys can help me set it up and aid me in any problems I might run into.

Tommy 

PM me when you get it. I just set one up today for my buddy. I am in the IT field so it comes pretty easy in addition depending on your settings the code is copy and paste.

Fishman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how to work this app yet but I couldn't find a way to "add you as a friend" so I just wrote ur user name down nd I will defiantly contact u when I get it.

Tommy

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the controller could detect and one could code for current draw of an outlet. This would validate that if an outlet was on but there was no draw then alert such as a pump failing.

The Apex has current sensing on the EB level vs the outlet level, thats how they log the Amperage values for each energy bar. This is obviously not adequate for your suggestion as the current sensing would need to be at the outlet level.

Good idea though.

Also I wish they had a module for PWM support.

I am pretty sure the Apex uses the ATMEGA microcontroller which does have PWM support. I think Neptune just failed to implement the PWM signal output interface and firmware support.

Last edited:

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called them and asked and they agreed it is possible but just not avail. I asked when will it be avail and got the "its policy not to discuss the roadmaps of the controller". Hopefully enough people will suggest it that they will add the feature.

The Apex has current sensing on the EB level vs the outlet level, thats how they log the Amperage values for each energy bar. This is obviously not adequate for your suggestion as the current sensing would need to be at the outlet level.

Good idea though.

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how to work this app yet but I couldn't find a way to "add you as a friend" so I just wrote ur user name down nd I will defiantly contact u when I get it.

Tommy 

No Worries - The controller is so big that it is impossible to discuss all of the configs. But I will tell you it will control/ replace your ATO and so much more. Check out my config at reeftronics.net under handle TDB. I have a lot going on it Apex controls it all.

Kirk Simon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a used or blemished Apex controller. maybe even an open box. Anything that will assist me( a quadriplegic) operate my reef and reduce the expense of one of these Apex units.
Kirk

tank of gems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my apex gold running everything in my tank and more equipment on my house like exhaust fans dehumidifier etc it's an awesome piece with so much you can control with it

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to get a controller and appreciate the info...not sure yet if I'll go apex, reef angel, or wait for the new reefkeeper.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see some more of the code you guys are using!

Check out Reeftronics.net. YOu can see hundreds of people's programming there. I for example have 24 outlets , moonlights, a Break out Box, and switch timers along with a storm sim set up with Virtual outlets.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back