OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex is also great for failover/disaster scenarios. I use an Inkbird with a pair of Schego titanium heaters, and the Apex monitors temperature independently. If the temperature rises too high, it kills the outlet. By the same token, if it drops too much I have a backup thermostat on an energy bar outlet that kicks in. And all this happens seamlessly without input from me - all I get is an instant remote notification on my phone.
So you have 3 thermostats in your tank--2 controlled by inkbird and one reduntant in case?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have 3 thermostats in your tank--2 controlled by inkbird and one reduntant in case?
Yes. It’s 200 gallons total, so a I have a pair of 300-watt Schegos controlled by the Inkbird (and monitored by the Apex overlord) and a separate 500-watt Hygger controlled and monitored by the Apex.

If either of the 300-watt heaters fail and the 2-hour runtime on the Inkbird is exceeded by the failover heater, the Inkbird kills the heaters and I get a warning. If the single heater can't keep up with the temperature, the Apex engages the backup heater as needed - and I get a warning.

If the Inkbird fails and/or the heaters get stuck on - the Apex kills it and I get a warning. And if the Inkbird fails and/or both heaters fail or shut off - the Apex turns on the backup heater and regulates temperature - and I get a warning.

If all three heaters fail (extremely unlikely) - I also get a warning.

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is expensive and does not last.... I have spent more than I should have and it controls to much.. and within 2 years I lost both my waves, the dos, the feeder and just lost my energy bar 832... so unless you like buying everything over every couple years it's not really worth it

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It’s 200 gallons total, so a I have a pair of 300-watt Schegos controlled by the Inkbird (and monitored by the Apex overlord) and a separate 500-watt Hygger controlled and monitored by the Apex.

If either of the 300-watt heaters fail and the 2-hour runtime on the Inkbird is exceeded by the failover heater, the Inkbird kills the heaters and I get a warning. If the single heater can't keep up with the temperature, the Apex engages the backup heater as needed - and I get a warning.

If the Inkbird fails and/or the heaters get stuck on - the Apex kills it and I get a warning. And if the Inkbird fails and/or both heaters fail or shut off - the Apex turns on the backup heater and regulates temperature - and I get a warning.

If all three heaters fail (extremely unlikely) - I also get a warning.
great idea to do!

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious to see placement of everyone’s apex that had trouble. Did you place in sump area where there is moisture possibly infiltrating the eb832. I have mine in another room no where near sump in hopes that helps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back