Apex display dead?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Router got reset, lost my connection to the Apex...... I reset it, I “think” the display on my controller thingy was still working. Either way, I went to the fish store (average day off here!) and when I came home I noticed the display for the Apex was blank (dead).

I had unplugged and reconnected power to the unit in order to re-establish wifi connection etc, and now I am unplugging and reconnecting the controller and it is doing nothing

Is there a different order I need to do things in? Is there a way to test it?

With the App on my phone, it is still reading/working for temp/pH/ATK etc.

Is my display just shot? Is there a replacement that is more beneficial than the original? It’s a classic unit I believe. I really haven’t used the controller other than to look over and immediately see pH and temp

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like your display is just shot. Is there any aquabus slots you can try your Display in? I would give that a go and if it still doesn't work but if the "Brains" of the system are still working then it has to be the display.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like your display is just shot. Is there any aquabus slots you can try your Display in? I would give that a go and if it still doesn't work but if the "Brains" of the system are still working then it has to be the display.

Aqua-bus slots like where????

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can plug the display into any available aquabus port anywhere in the apex system. Unplugging and replugging a malfunctioning module is always my first troubleshooting step.

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated the firmware on mine and it shut off and stayed off. I unplugged the display and re-plugged in a different spot, no change, I checked the "restart" box on the system and waited, no change. I then unplugged the display and unplugged the entire system, 12v, every power bar, and everything I had that connected to power in some way. I plugged the system back in then once it booted plugged the display back in and it fired back up.

Might be worth a try.

Whiskey

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated the firmware on mine and it shut off and stayed off. I unplugged the display and re-plugged in a different spot, no change, I checked the "restart" box on the system and waited, no change. I then unplugged the display and unplugged the entire system, 12v, every power bar, and everything I had that connected to power in some way. I plugged the system back in then once it booted plugged the display back in and it fired back up.

Might be worth a try.

Whiskey

I just rolled in from a long drive home..... will definitely give this a try in the morning (well, in 6 hours or so later this morning!).

Thanks!

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure if you do get it to come back on that you unplug it and make sure it comes back up in case of another power failure. Mine had the same problem and after plugging it into different usb outlets it finally came back on. Then I decided to kill the power and the same thing happened and it would not come back on. I replaced the screen just because I didn't want it to happen in case of a real power outage again. The new screen worked fine.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update , no amount of troubleshooting could save it. Grabbed an old-ipad and charger, and changed the settings so it is always on, and it’s my new display
B121B9A3-B105-4904-BE0D-27C53EF60CC9.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you already have a solution, but when you say your display was blank, is there any back lighting when it is plugged in (with no text) or is there no power to it at all? I am just curious.....every time my power goes out I lose my display and have to open a ticket for Neptune to remote in and fix. They have told me there is nothing I could do on my end....their fix to me is to buy a battery backup :( If you are just getting a blank display with blue back lighting, that might be your issue.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you already have a solution, but when you say your display was blank, is there any back lighting when it is plugged in (with no text) or is there no power to it at all? I am just curious.....every time my power goes out I lose my display and have to open a ticket for Neptune to remote in and fix. They have told me there is nothing I could do on my end....their fix to me is to buy a battery backup :( If you are just getting a blank display with blue back lighting, that might be your issue.

Nope. no light/power to it at all. After putting the iPad up, I even unscrewed the display to take it apart, looked at the board, and realized I had no idea what I was looking at so I closed it back up!

The pack-rat in me hasn’t thrown out the display yet, but it’s coming

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back