Apex DOS DIY level switch?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! I will def do this if I ever get the DOS for one of my systems!

OP
OP
CuseReefer

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to change the reservoir size in the software, and calibrate it?

You can set the reservoir size to anything you want. You have to calibrate the DOS heads and once that's set it knows how much it dispenses each time and removed that from the fluid tracking. When you refill your reservoir there is a button in the app to reset the level. The sensors aren't used by the dosing software at all. Only if you want to use them as an email alarm or disable a dosing head if the reservoir is low/empty.

OP
OP
CuseReefer

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the sw features are much more beneficial than the level sensors. If you connect a specific resistor between pin 6 (gnd) and pin 4(ddr detect) it should enable the software features without having to buy level sensors. But I haven't tried it. As long as pin 4 is pulled down to about 1.1V. Something around 160 ohm might work. Again I haven't tried this. Or you can get a IR diode and do the same thing (that's what's basically inside the liquid level sensor on those same pins).

Last edited:
OP
OP
CuseReefer

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone wants me to make them a cable with optical sensors, msg me. I might have some bandwidth to make some. Or i can make you an adapter that goes from the molex 6 pin to the 4 pin connector that is standard on the optical sensor I posted that's on eBay. This way you can install the sensor then connect it to the dos. Otherwise if the cable is soldered directly to the molex connector you won't be able to installed through a hole in a container.

Danny1496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing ,how long do you think i cant run them wires and still work i need to go like 55 feet

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I've seen a way to set the fluid level in the software without setting anything else up. The sensor is nice for letting you know when it's low though.

You might have just found a way to make some extra cash!!!! Let me know if you start building these, I have 2x dos and 4 containers

OP
OP
CuseReefer

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I've seen a way to set the fluid level in the software without setting anything else up. The sensor is nice for letting you know when it's low though.

You might have just found a way to make some extra cash!!!! Let me know if you start building these, I have 2x dos and 4 containers

Yeah you can set the level through the dashboard but nothing shows up in fusion.

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome, I'd be seriously interested in just being able to enable the software without actually installing the IR sensor if possible. So I can set the starting ml and know when it's getting low just by looking at Fusion. If possible and someone wants to make it let me know the cost and let's make it happen!

joeboots82520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding length to the sensor wire cause a resistance issue? I have been waiting to set up my DOS since Christmas in hopes of a level sensing solution from Neptune to use in AWC reservoirs instead of cheap plastic float switches. And THIS is right up my alley. The only issue is I would need more than the 2 meters or wire from the ebay optical sensors to connect. any input would be appreciated

DamianOZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting @CuseReefer.
I guess your next project will be ATO using the optical sensors? yeah? :); The most reliable tunze 3155 ATO strength is in the optical sensor. Now it can be done in $40 budget right? Well almost Hahahahahaha
you could do that easy, with this DIY
Connect an optic sensor from the DOS as describe above, and attach to the sump for water level control, program your ATO pump outlet to the Outlet SWX* you are using for the optical water level sensor....

OP
OP
CuseReefer

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connect an optic sensor from the DOS as describe above, and attach to the sump for water level control, program your ATO pump outlet to the Outlet SWX* you are using for the optical water level sensor....

Yeah honestly this is what I'm gonna do. The fluid tracking is enough and the low level sensor doesn't add much. Use the sensors for ATO.

I will have another diy shortly on how to connect these optical sensors to the normal io breakout. Needs some other parts to make it work.

aquaterra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone wants me to make them a cable with optical sensors, msg me. I might have some bandwidth to make some. Or i can make you an adapter that goes from the molex 6 pin to the 4 pin connector that is standard on the optical sensor I posted that's on eBay. This way you can install the sensor then connect it to the dos. Otherwise if the cable is soldered directly to the molex connector you won't be able to installed through a hole in a container.

So I can take an ir diode or 160ohm resistor and place it in pins 4 and 6 and the ddr software should pop up?
I currently do awc with the dos on 2 10 gallon containers with 2 floats for full/low itd be nice to graphically see it in fusion.

OP
OP
CuseReefer

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can take an ir diode or 160ohm resistor and place it in pins 4 and 6 and the ddr software should pop up?
I currently do awc with the dos on 2 10 gallon containers with 2 floats for full/low itd be nice to graphically see it in fusion.

In theory but I haven't tested it. Better off with the the $12 level sensor.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure I understand the part "ATO pump outlet to the Outlet SWX* you are using for the optical water level sensor..." :)

I was thinking of replacing the float switches connecting to the breakout box with the optical sensor since it has no moving parts and less likely to fail but I am not 100% sure how yet...

Back