Apex Dos for Kalkwasser

havoc_one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been inspired by BRS’s recent video on Kalkwasser mistakes and they mentioned that a dosing method for adding Kalkwasser is a good way to go vs ATO.
My question is two part. Based on my limited experience with Apex Dos and Trident

1. Can I fully automate my Kalk dosing. Program it to dose a specified amount if certain Trident/PH parameters are met? I.e. Alk is less than 9 but more than 8.5, and Calcium is less than 490 but more than 430, PH is between 7.9 and 8.3. Something like that

OR

2. Would it be better to have it dose x number of mL per 24 hours, but OFF if my parameters go over a certain range. I.e. cal over 490, Alk over 9.0, or pH over 8.3.

All Based on calculated consumption per day.

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a stenner peristaltic pump with an apex outlet. I have it programmed to run 30 sec on 30 sec off as long as pH is within parameters. I think you would be fine with either option 1 or 2

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalkwasser using my doser. I tell it how much I want to dose and the start and end time (I dose during the night) and it manages my entire kalk dosing. I test my salinity on a regular basis and sometimes change how much depending on the evaporation e.g. increase on hotter days and decrease on colder days

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been inspired by BRS’s recent video on Kalkwasser mistakes and they mentioned that a dosing method for adding Kalkwasser is a good way to go vs ATO.
My question is two part. Based on my limited experience with Apex Dos and Trident

1. Can I fully automate my Kalk dosing. Program it to dose a specified amount if certain Trident/PH parameters are met? I.e. Alk is less than 9 but more than 8.5, and Calcium is less than 490 but more than 430, PH is between 7.9 and 8.3. Something like that

OR

2. Would it be better to have it dose x number of mL per 24 hours, but OFF if my parameters go over a certain range. I.e. cal over 490, Alk over 9.0, or pH over 8.3.

All Based on calculated consumption per day.
I have a DOS, dosing Calc and Alk... and I also dose Kalkwasser, through an Avast stirrer, using a BRS top-off pump, and I too have a Trident. I decided long before that video that Kalk via ATO was not working, and started dosing via pump. Much more stable, less messy.

I'd say option 2, dosing X ML/day, OFF (and Alarm) if Cal > 490 or pH > 8.3 seems like the simpler method.

I'm dosing X ML/Day, with an alarm if the Kalk pH drops below 12 (meaning it's not fully saturated). I don't tie it to my tank pH or Calc, though I have alarms on both if they vary outside of my window. If I were to get a high pH alarm, my first action would likely be to turn off the Kalk pump... but automating that, with an alarm, would be a valid choice.

Option 1 would probably work, but I don't see the benefit over option 2, and it'd be much more effort to implement.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back