Apex Dual Dos Dosing with Red Sea Foundation Three Parts

Jrapa86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

My Tank: 65 gal Mixed SPS/LPS/Fish - just received (from a friend) about $8000 in coral (SPS and LPS), tank was cycled for about 2 - 3 months prior to adding them.

I just bought an Apex DOS with the dual reservoir, however I have red sea Three part reef foundation (A,B,C). I have a separate Poafamx Aquarium Dosing Pump which I prefer not to use if I can just rely on the apex system. Problem being, the DOS only doses two things, while red sea has three things to dose. If I had to choose which two (most important) would be used with the Apex DOS, which would you choose and why?

I'm considering since red sea foundation has 3 parts to dose, on switching over to ATI Essentials Pro which is a two part system, matching the DOS's 2 containers. Any thoughts or feedback on making the switch?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2-part system will probably be your best bet (not sure which 2-part solution would be the best, but a quick search on R2R will probably show the most popular brands).

I run a Nyos 3-part system on a single DOS and DDR; alkalinity in one and magnesium and calcium in the other (if it's the right type you can mix the two). The challenge is finding just the right ratio of magnesium to calcium since you're dosing both.

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2-part system will probably be your best bet (not sure which 2-part solution would be the best, but a quick search on R2R will probably show the most popular brands).

I run a Nyos 3-part system on a single DOS and DDR; alkalinity in one and magnesium and calcium in the other (if it's the right type you can mix the two). The challenge is finding just the right ratio of magnesium to calcium since you're dosing both.
Where is there an article on combining magnesium and calcium in a solution before dosing? I get they make all for reef etc.
I just feel like this would be the norm if you could?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank won't use as much mag so that can be dosed or replaced with water changes depending on how frequently you are doing them. I only test it once a month. Alk is going to be the most important followed by calcium but you will be dosing way more alk then calcium. I have a red sea reef dose 4 and only run the alk daily rn the calcium tends to be made up with waterchanges as well as magnesium. Although my reef dose is hooked up to A,B,C AND Acropower the only 2 supplements I currently need to dose daily are alk and acropower.

Start testing your tank and seeing what the uptake is like. your corals may not be to the point where you have to worry about automating calcium and magnesium dosing.

Another thing to add is you will want to test often for the next few months. Unless your system matches everything exactly to the one your buddies corals came from its normal to have a "stalling" period while things settle in for your system then the growth will start back up and hopefully take off.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use the Apex DOS for auto water changes and get a ReefDose 4 for "2 part". I quoted that because my 2 part quickly became four part after adding magnesium and Part C. Even if you don't use the other two heads initially, I think you will find them useful in the future.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is there an article on combining magnesium and calcium in a solution before dosing? I get they make all for reef etc. I just feel like this would be the norm if you could?
See post #3.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back