Apex EB832 Outlet for dual heater alert setup

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40b with about 20g in the sump for total water volume of 60 gallons. Recently I had heater die (not a big issue since take is just FOWLR at the moment. I am using twin titanium 200w BRS heater elements plugged into a BRS heater controller. So last week when my heater went out it was actually the second heater dying.

I went back in Neptune Apex Fusion and looked at that outlets wattage and I think I've identified when the first heater died back mid december. Then this week the second one went.

So my question is this:

How do I adjust the alert parameters to get a notification when the outlet isnt putting out over 400w. When the one heater dies the max output will be ~200 watts and I'd like an alert so I can figure out when I am down to a single heater element.

heater chart.jpg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a virtual output can be leveraged to monitor this, then send an alarm.

[Heater_Alarm] -- new virtual output
Set OFF
If Output Heater_CTRL Watts > 200 Then ON
If Output Heater_CTRL Watts > 400 Then OFF

[EmailAlm]
Set OFF
If Output Heater_Alarm = ON Then ON

The way this works has to do with how the Apex evaluates the code from top to bottom, with the last True condition setting the output on or off. In this example, the output starts OFF, then would turn ON when the heater is drawing more than 200 watts, but if it's actually drawing more than 400, it goes back to OFF. So the only time this output would ever remain on is when it's over 200 but less than 401. Then the EmailAlm output sends you the notification.

You can test this code by unplugging one of the heaters to simulate a failure.

If you're not familiar with virtual outputs, see my tutorial here:

For more details on Apex power monitoring, see:

And for more tips on alarm programming, see:

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use two 600w brs titanium heaters controlled directly by the Apex as well. Each heater is set to only run 12 hours a day (they alternate). This is the basic program, I have one for heater A & another for heater B, the only difference being the times.

Fallback OFF
If Tmp < 77.1 Then ON
If Tmp > 77.4 Then OFF
If Time 00:00 to 11:59 Then OFF
If Output BackupHeat = ON Then ON
If Output Maintenance = ON Then OFF
If Output PumpStatus = OFF Then OFF

Maintenance is a virtual output and not really related, the pump is optional too. To go song with this is another virtual outlet called backup heat. So if the on duty pump goes down the backup kicks in.

Set OFF
If Tmp < 76.8 Then ON
If Tmp > 77.9 Then OFF

Now, if the backup kicks on my alerts pop off. Kris you covered well. My heaters are very oversized so I don't have to panic and replace it immediately (this has happened).

Email alert

Set OFF
If Error Cor_4_1_Rt Then ON
If Error Cor_5_1_Lt Then ON
If Output HeaterError = ON Then ON
If Tmp < 75.0 Then ON
If Tmp > 79.0 Then ON
If Output BackupHeat = ON Then ON

On top of all that I use custom heavy duty 24v relay controlled outlets from the accessories ports and not the native eb832's wimpy 7amp outlets for my heaters

OP
OP
cmoore806

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a virtual output can be leveraged to monitor this, then send an alarm.

[Heater_Alarm] -- new virtual output
Set OFF
If Output Heater_CTRL Watts > 200 Then ON
If Output Heater_CTRL Watts > 400 Then OFF

[EmailAlm]
Set OFF
If Output Heater_Alarm = ON Then ON

The way this works has to do with how the Apex evaluates the code from top to bottom, with the last True condition setting the output on or off. In this example, the output starts OFF, then would turn ON when the heater is drawing more than 200 watts, but if it's actually drawing more than 400, it goes back to OFF. So the only time this output would ever remain on is when it's over 200 but less than 401. Then the EmailAlm output sends you the notification.

You can test this code by unplugging one of the heaters to simulate a failure.

If you're not familiar with virtual outputs, see my tutorial here:

For more details on Apex power monitoring, see:

And for more tips on alarm programming, see:
Worked perfectly for me. Thanks so much this will save my butt for sure and help me get that 10 year tank!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back