Apex Failure

freepizza80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have couple of tanks in the garage. One tank is about 250 gallons total water volume. Last night my controller failed and the temperature in that tank went all the down to 51F. I made things worse by immediately plugging in couple of 500w heaters and brought the temp back to 72 before realizing my mistake. No fish died.

Has anyone had temperature dropped to that low before? I have all kind of corals, Zoa, SPS, LPS, and various softies but mostly acro colonies. Corals look okay for now but I know things will start dying soon. If anyone has gone through such a large temp swing, please let me know how things turned out for you. What can I do to save my acro colonies?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing is looking stressed I would bet you are in the clear. A temp issue is less damaging then say something like a massive alk spike. And even then, changing things too quickly because of a spike is usually the bigger issue than the spike itself.

You posted this yesterday so I assume its been back to normal for a bit now? Have you seen any changes since getting back to normal?

OP
OP
F

freepizza80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Corals and fish look just fine for now but I know little critters died. I had a whole lot of little fan worms, those seem to be almost gone (I'm actually glad). I haven't seen any Peppermint Shrimps, I had 4-5. I know a thing like that can cause a mini cycle sometimes, which probably will be harmful for the acros. I'm monitoring ammonia, that should tell me if I am going through a cycle.

Lets see what happens. I have my fingers crossed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back