OP
Hiker64

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you mention being a sort of tech junkie, so am I I'm adding a couple of things to my apex on my build just because. I have the fire tablet and I can use my phone to control everything but just wanted to do some things different because that's what it's designed to do. Don't want to say what it is just yet, just things to make other task simpler.
Please post when you have the bugs worked out

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiker, I forgot to mention when I got mine I reset everything back to factory settings and then did my install. I had a few problems until I did that but they were related to connecting.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there. I had similar frustrations with the pH probe when I connected my Apex. Like you, I was totally frustrated with the basic questions they kept emailing me - I felt like I was being treated like a moron (and I ranted it in a thread somewhere). If you think about it though, they have no way of knowing if their trouble tickets were opened by a person who reads the directions that say "Take the clear cap off the probe...." There are probably many individuals who don't follow the directions (not you or me LOL). They have to troubleshoot the easy fixes right off the bat.

One call from support fixed my issue and it has been smooth sailing ever since. I am really happy with my Apex now, and would purchase it again without hesitation.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love having an apex, but yes it's basically a high end timer and thermometer. That said you can do cool things with it like control all your outlets around the thermometer if the tank gets too hot while they do sophisticated timer functions. For instance you can have two power heads occilate on/off either together or opposed from every second to every 999 minutes and shut off completely if the temp rises above 82.1 degrees. That program is at most 20 words, it's fairly simple IF this THEN that programming.

So yea it's a thermostat and a timer but so much more too. I expect Neptune to support the classic in a reasonable manner. For instance the trident Ca/Mg/Alk monitoring is not going to be supported on the classic I hear. This is in part due to the computing abilities of the classic not being capable of the programming required on the trident. Kind of like trying to play a 4K video on a tube TV... It's just not going to work. For this reason I would get the new version. I currently run a gold from a few years ago, and will continue to use it but eventually retire it to another use(sophisticated aquaculture timer) and upgrade to the new version in the next year or two. As of right now I travel 4 months a year up to 3 weeks at a time and without the apex and my ATO it would be possible but not so easy.

You may have not seen the trident system in person. I saw it last MACNA and it wouldn’t fit under a small aquarium stand. [emoji3]

OP
OP
Hiker64

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiker, I forgot to mention when I got mine I reset everything back to factory settings and then did my install. I had a few problems until I did that but they were related to connecting.
Forgot to mention I have reset to factory settings 3 times with no resolution

OP
OP
Hiker64

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there. I had similar frustrations with the pH probe when I connected my Apex. Like you, I was totally frustrated with the basic questions they kept emailing me - I felt like I was being treated like a moron (and I ranted it in a thread somewhere). If you think about it though, they have no way of knowing if their trouble tickets were opened by a person who reads the directions that say "Take the clear cap off the probe...." There are probably many individuals who don't follow the directions (not you or me LOL). They have to troubleshoot the easy fixes right off the bat.

One call from support fixed my issue and it has been smooth sailing ever since. I am really happy with my Apex now, and would purchase it again without hesitation.
Just feel they could ask the basic questions in the first communication. Instead of asking one at a time then waiting 6 hours for a reply. Waiting on the service call

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hiker64

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feel they could ask the basic questions in the first communication. Instead of asking one at a time then waiting 6 hours for a reply. Waiting on the service call
Just got off the phone with a service rep. Still feel like that are shotgunning the approach to the fix. They are sending me an RMA for both the PH Probe and the Salinity Probe. Would not give any kind of time frame and exactly what the RMA would mean. In my business an RMA means it's an authorization to send back the defective unit then a new/refurbished unit would be sent at their leisure. Could not get a straight answer from the rep.

If anyone has experience with this please chime in. Again, just massive frustration spending $800 and still don't have a working unit

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back