APEX for BioCube

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting folks opinion on running an APEX Classic on a BioCube 32.
I need to start a build thread but short story is;
2 month old tank
Steve's LEDs on order
Jaebo PP-4
InTank media and fuge racks
Everything else is stock.
Also, if it matters, I'm a baby boomer tech geek. Love my gadgets.

Taking cost out of the equation, what benefits would an APEX bring to the table? I understand that I can have good safety when it comes to the heater. Also from my research there would be no benefit to the Steve's LED. Not sure on the if the PP-4 works with the 3rd party Jaebo module.

I also tend to think and plan very long term. As I move along in this hobby I would expect the controller to grow along.

My questions include is the Apex more than just a $549 heater controller?
Also, does everyone believe the Classic will continue to be supported by Neptune for the foreseeable future? Based on the the comparisons and my perceived needs I don't see the $250 price increase.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a Apex Gold on my Red Sea Reefer Nano (21gal) controlled my heater, skimmer, lights, doser (you'll want one if you go SPS) DIY cable hack to control my Jebao wavemakers ($3) and was also the ATO with 2 float switches a Toms Aqualifter.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting folks opinion on running an APEX Classic on a BioCube 32.
I need to start a build thread but short story is;
2 month old tank
Steve's LEDs on order
Jaebo PP-4
InTank media and fuge racks
Everything else is stock.
Also, if it matters, I'm a baby boomer tech geek. Love my gadgets.

Taking cost out of the equation, what benefits would an APEX bring to the table? I understand that I can have good safety when it comes to the heater. Also from my research there would be no benefit to the Steve's LED. Not sure on the if the PP-4 works with the 3rd party Jaebo module.

I also tend to think and plan very long term. As I move along in this hobby I would expect the controller to grow along.

My questions include is the Apex more than just a $549 heater controller?
Also, does everyone believe the Classic will continue to be supported by Neptune for the foreseeable future? Based on the the comparisons and my perceived needs I don't see the $250 price increase.
Apex has a wonderful online interface that you can use to monitor your tank remotely. It can be used for controlling a doser but many people with tanks that size only do water changes. They can be used to control an ATO system, but even though I've used both Apex and GHL controllers my ATO's have been stand alone.

Having a controller to do a "maintenance mode" is also nice where it shuts off your heaters, skimmer, and return pumps while you clean the tank and do a water change. Push a button when you are done and everything comes back on. No worrying about forgetting to plug something back in or having a heater exposed to the air overheat.

So yes, there is more reason to use a controller than just temperature safety but the cost justification is harder on smaller tanks.

Epicreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love having an apex, but yes it's basically a high end timer and thermometer. That said you can do cool things with it like control all your outlets around the thermometer if the tank gets too hot while they do sophisticated timer functions. For instance you can have two power heads occilate on/off either together or opposed from every second to every 999 minutes and shut off completely if the temp rises above 82.1 degrees. That program is at most 20 words, it's fairly simple IF this THEN that programming.

So yea it's a thermostat and a timer but so much more too. I expect Neptune to support the classic in a reasonable manner. For instance the trident Ca/Mg/Alk monitoring is not going to be supported on the classic I hear. This is in part due to the computing abilities of the classic not being capable of the programming required on the trident. Kind of like trying to play a 4K video on a tube TV... It's just not going to work. For this reason I would get the new version. I currently run a gold from a few years ago, and will continue to use it but eventually retire it to another use(sophisticated aquaculture timer) and upgrade to the new version in the next year or two. As of right now I travel 4 months a year up to 3 weeks at a time and without the apex and my ATO it would be possible but not so easy.

OP
OP
Hiker64

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love having an apex, but yes it's basically a high end timer and thermometer. That said you can do cool things with it like control all your outlets around the thermometer if the tank gets too hot while they do sophisticated timer functions. For instance you can have two power heads occilate on/off either together or opposed from every second to every 999 minutes and shut off completely if the temp rises above 82.1 degrees. That program is at most 20 words, it's fairly simple IF this THEN that programming.

So yea it's a thermostat and a timer but so much more too. I expect Neptune to support the classic in a reasonable manner. For instance the trident Ca/Mg/Alk monitoring is not going to be supported on the classic I hear. This is in part due to the computing abilities of the classic not being capable of the programming required on the trident. Kind of like trying to play a 4K video on a tube TV... It's just not going to work. For this reason I would get the new version. I currently run a gold from a few years ago, and will continue to use it but eventually retire it to another use(sophisticated aquaculture timer) and upgrade to the new version in the next year or two. As of right now I travel 4 months a year up to 3 weeks at a time and without the apex and my ATO it would be possible but not so easy.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. No plans for trident on this small of a tank but you do have me rethinking the classic. Daddy always said to buy the best tool you could afford. Cry once and all that...

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a apex 2016 on my 8g nano and I love it. It gives me a lot of peace of mind and has already caught a couple issues related to the ato that would have caused major problems in my small tank the salinity monitoring caught this.

Don't forget it also has PH monitoring and control which allows me to program my fuge light to go on when ph drops and off when it hits the level I want.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Biocube hooked into my Apex, along with a 75 gal mixed reef. The thing I like best is the monitoring/warning capabilities. I've already had one instance when the outlet supplying the EB832 (power strip for the apex) lost power, this was while I was on vacation out of country, and my apex warned me in time to call my daughter and walk her through troubleshooting it over facetime. The temp in the tank dropped fairly low before we figured out the issue (someone flipped a light switch that we didn't know controlled the outlet) but all the livestock made it through ok.

That peace of mind is valuable regardless what size tank you have.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't regret getting one, especially if you can find a used one one here for much less than the new ones. Mine controls my lights, return pump, motion pumps, cooling fans, heating, cal reactor, kalk reactor, auto feeder, skimmer and sump lights. It's very nice to be able to use your smart phone to turn things on and off for maintenance. No need to find the plugs underneath for connecting and disconnecting. Plus you can look at your tank parameters on your phone from anywhere and turn things on and off if needed. Even for a small setup, I would totally recommend having one. Oh, you can also get a cheap amazon fire tablet and mount it anywhere you have wifi and see instant tank parameters through the fusion monitoring site. I have one actually on the side of my lighting canopy so I can control from there for maintenance and see current parameters when walking by.

-g

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup with amazon fire on the canopy....
CE1D1A6E-E147-4FC1-AEFC-D648F2D05962.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an Apex Classic for my BC29 and loved it! Controlled my BRS dosers with pH failsafes programmed in. Controlled my MP10s with the WXM. I had ATO, heater, cooling fan and LED control along with pH monitoring. Programmed “feed modes” for feeding, maintenance and water changes as well. All in all, it made everything more convenient for me while running my reef. Recently purchased the 2016 New Apex for my next build.

OP
OP
Hiker64

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an Apex Classic for my BC29 and loved it! Controlled my BRS dosers with pH failsafes programmed in. Controlled my MP10s with the WXM. I had ATO, heater, cooling fan and LED control along with pH monitoring. Programmed “feed modes” for feeding, maintenance and water changes as well. All in all, it made everything more convenient for me while running my reef. Recently purchased the 2016 New Apex for my next build.
Do you consider the Classic to be fine for the BioCube or would also go for the 2016 version?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Classic is more than adequate for the Biocube and there are many deals to be had in the used market for Apex Classics. However, if you’re buying new, get the 2016 New Apex as it will have more features useful for when you eventually grow out of your Biocube and upgrade down the road.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experiences. No plans for trident on this small of a tank but you do have me rethinking the classic. Daddy always said to buy the best tool you could afford. Cry once and all that...

Amen to that.

I'd say the Classic is fine for any tank, but you would be buying a piece of tech that's almost 10 years old at this point. I enjoy the upgraded interface and operating system options. And you never know, once you get started, it's a slippery slope...

Really though I've used both now and you'd be fine with either.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2016 has a bunch of upgrades and built in items that justify the increased price. If you don't need them or don't plan on adding them then the classic is fine. If you plan on adding items like pmup, or a cor that use a 1 link then you save having to get that extra for example.

The power monitoring is really nice as well I have my heaters set to alert me if they come on and there is no power consumption which is a nice feature

OP
OP
Hiker64

Hiker64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2016 has a bunch of upgrades and built in items that justify the increased price. If you don't need them or don't plan on adding them then the classic is fine. If you plan on adding items like pmup, or a cor that use a 1 link then you save having to get that extra for example.

The power monitoring is really nice as well I have my heaters set to alert me if they come on and there is no power consumption which is a nice feature
I watched the BRS ULM video and Ryan was talking about setting maintenance alarms based on power consumption of pumps. That hit home with me because one of my Six Sigma Black Belt projects was setting up tool change alarms based on amperage draw.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was undecided on using an Apex or going with individual controllers and timers. I went middle of the road and got the Apex Jr. Within 6 months I'm kicking myself for not going to the full Apex. I've purchased different modules and love the user interface. I just am limited now with the number of modules I can expand to.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back