Apex Fusion Connection Issues

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex A3 Jr is having issues staying connected to Fusion today. Anyone else having issues?

So far it’s the only device on my network having connectivity problems. I work from home and I’m on the wifi all day, so I think I would notice wifi or internet outages.

I’d like to try and give the apex a static ip in case there is a dhcp conflict somewhere, but I can’t figure out how to change the ip address when it’s disconnected.

Also, I can successfully ping the ip address assigned to the apex so I think it is online.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept having issues with my A3 Pro Apex as well so I decided to hard wire it in using a LAN cable. Never looked back- and I don't need a WiFi bridge for my Seneye either now!

You can make sure your WiFi is as strong as you can, but in my experience it won't change the connection issues with the Apex. In any case, I wouldn't trust the life line of my aquarium on dodgy WiFi..

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rebooted the Apex jr and it worked just long enough for me to change the ip from dhcp to a static address I know was not in use. I then restarted it. It is disconnected again. I can ping the new ip from my laptop and I get a valid response.

Not sure where to go from here so I’ve contacted Apex Support.

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept having issues with my A3 Pro Apex as well so I decided to hard wire it in using a LAN cable. Never looked back- and I don't need a WiFi bridge for my Seneye either now!

You can make sure your WiFi is as strong as you can, but in my experience it won't change the connection issues with the Apex. In any case, I wouldn't trust the life line of my aquarium on dodgy WiFi..
The apex jr doesn’t have a lan port. It is wifi only. So far my experience has been good. I’ve had it running for 6+ months and today is my first connection issue.

Luckily, it is for monitoring only.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The apex jr doesn’t have a lan port. It is wifi only. So far my experience has been good. I’ve had it running for 6+ months and today is my first connection issue.

Arh sorry about that, was thinking about the EL and the Classic! :) You can try to strengthen your WiFi but as you say, all other devices keep their connection and it is just the Apex.. At least all programming and everything keeps working even if it drops connection!

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny my apex wifi just started disconnecting this week. 28 times yesterday alone. Tried to reboot now won't connect at all and waiting for an email to get a warranty loaner. I got mine just before Xmas last year. Not super impressed right now

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny my apex wifi just started disconnecting this week. 28 times yesterday alone. Tried to reboot now won't connect at all and waiting for an email to get a warranty loaner. I got mine just before Xmas last year. Not super impressed right now
Maybe they are trying to prepare us for the MXM module! Mobius disconnects all the time :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they are trying to prepare us for the MXM module! Mobius disconnects all the time :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
lol hope not! This all originally started when i was trying to recalibrate my ph probe yesterday. Apex was telling me i was up to date but was getting an error code that it was not up to date and could not calibrate my ph probe.
Hey at least i have my cheap and trusty pinpoint ph probe back up and running but no dos, and no monitoring on the 2k apex system lol

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I’m leaning toward the device or the Fusion cloud service. If they are updating software for something big like MXM, it may be causing service issues.

I’ve been teleworking all day on wifi with no issue, and all my other iot devices are working fine.

I have a Kamoer X1 pump that is WAY more sensitive to wifi issues, and it is behaving fine.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I’m leaning toward the device or the Fusion cloud service. If they are updating software for something big like MXM, it may be causing service issues.

I’ve been teleworking all day on wifi with no issue, and all my other iot devices are working fine.

I have a Kamoer X1 pump that is WAY more sensitive to wifi issues, and it is behaving fine.
Same here everything else is working just fine like it always has. We have the best internet service plan available for our area. Definetely apex fusion issue I'm going to try and at least get it back up and running with ethernet cable.

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting one here!

That is pretty interesting. I talked to a networking guy one time that was called to troubleshoot an office wifi system. Half the office had really weak to no signal. Turns out, they were storing a bunch of 5 gallon jugs for their water cooler in a closet and the water was interfering with the signal in the rooms on the other side.

Doogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with my A3, but have a 40TB NAS with Pi-Hole running. Pi-hole was blocking the Apex so I configured my apex with a static IP and configured pi-hole to just permit 'all the ads.' You probably don't have pi-hole, but it's worth throwing out there. IIRC Apex only operates on the 2.4 Ghz wireless band. For S&G's have you tried moving your Apex or router closer to eachother? Considering the 2.4Ghz band is not only saturated and get's interference from just about everything, it's a wonder why Neptune didn't spring for 5Ghz or provide a means of Automatic Radio Management (ARM).

I live in a dense suburb, overpower competing wifi and it takes a good bit out of my neighborhood before my devices disconnect.

You could try an ethernet to wifi adapter. It's still 2.4 Ghz, but maybe Neptune's WiFi drivers suck on the Jr? If running an Ethernet cable isn't an option, you could try a powerline adapter. Since the Apex isn't pushing that much data (modbus), you don't need the fastest connections ever.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good this morning and I'm on WIFI. However, Apex and Fusion are notorious for connection problems. Aside from Fusion having connectivity issues time to time Apex has always been a problem. For the longest time if I got a power blip enough to reboot router Apex would never attempt to reconnect until rebooted. I'm thinking after years they may have finally fixed that problem. It's been somewhat reliable lately but not holding my breath.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me el has been off and on this last week as my hydros wave engine also.. nothing else in my house is affected.. I thought it was just my apex then hydros did it and led me to believe it was my internet but it’s not…

Doogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me el has been off and on this last week as my hydros wave engine also.. nothing else in my house is affected.. I thought it was just my apex then hydros did it and led me to believe it was my internet but it’s not…
2.4 Ghz WiFi sucks. If you have a microwave, it's going to interfere. If you have a cordless phone, it's going to interfere. The water in the fish tank itself, is going to interfere. Best thing you can do is to get the controller out of the cabinet and within line of sight to your router or use one of the solutions I linked to above. These Apex controllers are running some embedded *nix of sorts so they aren't great on the user experience side of things.

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update from Apex support. They say that the file system on my base unit is corrupt and they recommend a factory reset.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting! My Apex EL did an update yesterday and as of 6:00 a.m. I kept getting constant notifications that it was offline, then back online and this went on for 2 hours!

Curious, how did you guys hard wire it? I'm running off of wifi and apex is the only thing having an issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back