Apex help, anyone awake that can help?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what that means. It's that something I should ask for that they'll know what I mean? I have an email conversation but they pretty much take a day to respond. Then their response is here read this 300 page link it will tell you what to do.

Doesn't anyone work? Who has time to read this kind of stuff?
Unless it has changed recently, you cannot back your Apex up using Fusion. You would have needed to save the file on your local system using the classic interface.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im mechanically inclined but NOT tech savvy at all. Microsoft word alone makes me twitch in one eye while rethinking my life.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im mechanically inclined but NOT tech savvy at all. Microsoft word alone makes me twitch in one eye while rethinking my life.
lol! Trust me, you can do it! Plenty of people can help you along the way! :)

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that you already got a replacement APEX. FWIW it's good to know that APEX will sell you the brain only. My APEX got fried a year ago and it wasn't under warranty anymore. I called Neptune and they sold me the "brain only" as a replacement.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what that means. It's that something I should ask for that they'll know what I mean? I have an email conversation but they pretty much take a day to respond. Then their response is here read this 300 page link it will tell you what to do.

Doesn't anyone work? Who has time to read this kind of stuff?

just tell them you got a new apex as your old one fried and you want to get the config off the old one to import into your new one.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they said in their promo videos that you plug it in and bam! You're up in running in minutes. So easy a caveman could do it yada yada. I have a full apex classic that I havent even set up yet because im terrified.

Setting up an Apex isn't too difficult for most of the basic features. You shouldn't be scared of it. And they are wonderful once you get them working.

The initial setup can be frustrating esp if you have no understanding of ip's and router settings and dns etc like me. But once you get it going is like how in the world were you manually doing all this with before. Hard to live without it. It's been quite a challenge to not kill my tanks over the last few days.

I just was able to link to fusion with the new apex so at least i don't have to be home to finish the rest of my settings. I didn't even have to read anything to do it, just hit the link button and it tells you what to do.

just tell them you got a new apex as your old one fried and you want to get the config off the old one to import into your new one.

In not sure that's possible because new brain is different. So i just spent 2 hours with my best guesses to at least get dosing back in order. Now to keep a close eye on alk & ca over the next few weeks to dial back in.

Tomorrow maybe I'll have time to get heaters back on apex. Been running stand alone last few days, that's very scary to me.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The initial setup can be frustrating esp if you have no understanding of ip's and router settings and dns etc like me.

See that right there is already sending my anxiety through the roof. Cant I pay someone to do that part? I dont know what an ip or dns is. The other day I asked someone how difficult it would be to set up a wifi camera on my tank... they mentioned some phrase: "port forwarding", and I started looking for xanax.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that right there is already sending my anxiety through the roof. Cant I pay someone to do that part? I dont know what an ip or dns is. The other day I asked someone how difficult it would be to set up a wifi camera on my tank... they mentioned some phrase: "port forwarding", and I started looking for xanax.
Nope. I forbid you from you paying someone to do it! :p
You use a windows computer, right? click on your windows icon in the bottom left. Click on "All Programs" then "Accessories" and open the program "Command Prompt". Type ipconfig and hit enter. There, now you know most of the information you need to set up your Apex on your network.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The initial setup can be frustrating esp if you have no understanding of ip's and router settings and dns etc like me. But once you get it going is like how in the world were you manually doing all this with before. Hard to live without it. It's been quite a challenge to not kill my tanks over the last few days.

I just was able to link to fusion with the new apex so at least i don't have to be home to finish the rest of my settings. I didn't even have to read anything to do it, just hit the link button and it tells you what to do.

In not sure that's possible because new brain is different. So i just spent 2 hours with my best guesses to at least get dosing back in order. Now to keep a close eye on alk & ca over the next few weeks to dial back in.

Tomorrow maybe I'll have time to get heaters back on apex. Been running stand alone last few days, that's very scary to me.
This time remember to go into your local interface and save your program files! ;)

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fusion does not have anything on your old controller settings anyway. Every single click on the info is pulled from the apex base. I'm not even sure they store the ID and password . Most likely not!

Even you save the old settings on your computer, the apex full does not like the apex lite config file...might as well start fresh

I often save the codes on my computer for later usage just in case.

Good luck with the recovery

Yes, i can kit in to fusion still but it doesn't find the old apex so it won't show me anything from it.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fusion does not have anything on your old controller settings anyway. Every single click on the info is pulled from the apex base. I'm not even sure they store the ID and password . Most likely not!

Even you save the old settings on your computer, the apex full does not like the apex lite config file...might as well start fresh

I often save the codes on my computer for later usage just in case.

Good luck with the recovery
That i understand. But they do save the username and password. Because i had forgot it and had to do the whole forgot pw thing and have it email a reset code.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hoped since it was saved in the cloud (so I thought i understood) it would be able to pull up my old setting for me to look at even without apex installed. Obviously not allow me to change them but at least look :(

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hoped since it was saved in the cloud (so I thought i understood) it would be able to pull up my old setting for me to look at even without apex installed. Obviously not allow me to change them but at least look :(
Sorry! Fusion really is just a web interface. It doesn't store any data. Even the trends you access are stored in the Apex itself.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what that means bro! Not even a little bit.
If you are on your home network with your computer you can access your apex without fusion. Much easier to set up that way.

You can type the IP address of your Apex into your web browser and log in directly. default user name is admin and the password is 1234

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this. If i open it, it says "your a moron, and I'm not going to let you see all the stuff behind this pop up, but I'll let you see that your tabs are still there from around the edges of the pop up"

Lol

Screenshot_20161208-000141.png

If you put your mouse on the exclamation mark (in your picture) you will find your entire configuration there. Cut and paste into a file or send to printer.
I just did this day before yesterday for another member on this site lol. Was able to get his entire system, including profiles for 4 vortechs etc back in, in about an hour.

Which is another cool thing about the apex. He added me as an authorized manager to his fusion account. Never seen his system, live in different countries, but able to reprogram his system from my living room, in an hour or so.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All the programming you had is under that exclamation mark. Just open fusion in two windows. One for your old, one for the new, right click to copy from old, and then paste into new.
Here are some screenshots from my phone, of the system I just helped recover. Gives you an idea of the format. Tells you what outlet...name of the outlet, code, everything
Screenshot_2016-12-08-23-51-33.png
Screenshot_2016-12-08-23-51-39.png
Screenshot_2016-12-08-23-53-10.png

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, really? I guess they improved the fusion. I am still at an older firmware and this option is not available when the apex is online. Let me unplug it from the router and retry...

Update: The fusion has no knowledge of my apex is disconnected from the Internet. It is acting like my apex is still on line and controllable. However, I see that it does not update status of an outlet when I changed that outlet state. I guess it was expecting a feedback from the apex base to actually register the outlet status.... I think that is clever, but now I can't count on Fusion to show me that my apex is offline.....hmmmm! Maybe if I updated to the latest firmware then Fusion will work correctly....
I will let it stay off line for a while to see how long it takes Fusion to realize that the apex is not connected.....and send email......Hopefully!

All the programming you had is under that exclamation mark. Just open fusion in two windows. One for your old, one for the new, right click to copy from old, and then paste into new.
Here are some screenshots from my phone, of the system I just helped recover. Gives you an idea of the format. Tells you what outlet...name of the outlet, code, everything
Screenshot_2016-12-08-23-51-33.png
Screenshot_2016-12-08-23-51-39.png
Screenshot_2016-12-08-23-53-10.png

Last edited:

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, really? I guess they improved the fusion. I am still at an older firmware and this option is not available when the apex is online. Let me unplug it from the router and retry...

Update: The fusion has no knowledge of my apex is disconnected from the Internet. It is acting like my apex is still on line and controllable. However, I see that it does not update status of an outlet when I changed that outlet state. I guess it was expecting a feedback from the apex base to actually register the outlet status.... I think that is clever, but now I can't count on Fusion to show me that my apex is offline.....hmmmm! Maybe if I updated to the latest firmware then Fusion will work correctly....
I will let it stay off line for a while to see how long it takes Fusion to realize that the apex is not connected.....and send email......Hopefully!

I think it talks to fusion every 10 or 15 minutes or so. Wait 15 - 20 min and see if it comes up with the red !

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does. after 10 mins it updated. And yes you are right about the configuration...everything is there. Beautiful!!!!!

I think it talks to fusion every 10 or 15 minutes or so. Wait 15 - 20 min and see if it comes up with the red !

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back