Apex/Kessil Issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have been experiencing some issues with my apex.
My kessils, when off, are flickering on for a brief moment then back off again, every 8 seconds. I tried plugging them into a different apex outlet, without luck. As of now, they are plugged into a separate outlet from the apex. They are still flickering. I think that it is an issue with the ALD, but I don't know.
If anyone wants to take a look at my apex and see what is going on, please send me a pm and I will set you up to take a look. I am praying that it isn't an EB832 issue, as this is a very new apex- less than 2 months old.
Thanks!
#apexusers
@Terence
As additional info, My UV sterilizer is also flickering in sync with the kessils and is way underpowered- the bulb is very dim, much dimmer then normal.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check that the control cable is fully inserted in the light. Also does it happen all the time or just before and after ramp up and ramp down

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also try isolating power supplies if the 0-10v isnt the source.
I have isolated the power supplies completely, I have even put them I a different circuit.
It only is noticeable during ramp up and down, most noticeable for about an hour after they turn off via the control cable. I do not turn off the power supplies.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have isolated the power supplies completely, I have even put them I a different circuit.
It only is noticeable during ramp up and down, most noticeable for about an hour after they turn off via the control cable. I do not turn off the power supplies.
I may know your problem. The Kessils are not capable of ramping down past 13% intensity, so if you have your apex telling them to ramp all the way down to 0%, it may cause issues with the lights. Try changing your starting intensity to 10 to 13%

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may know your problem. The Kessils are not capable of ramping down past 13% intensity, so if you have your apex telling them to ramp all the way down to 0%, it may cause issues with the lights. Try changing your starting intensity to 10 to 13%
I thought as much, but i have them ramping from 15% to 0% within 5 minutes. The issues are after they turn off, and i am also having the same issue with my UV bulb.

TackH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was recommended to me by Kessil:

Thank you for your email. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your light. Because the light is not under the warranty anymore, you do have the option to open up the light for deep cleaning.

Please see the steps below:

A360 Cleaning Procedure

1) Remove the rubber plugs with tweezers and use a torx screwdriver to remove the two screws in the holes at the face of the light

2) Squeeze the top of the A360 by applying pressure and pull the mounting ring away from the housing.

3) Clean off any debris or dust that may be present with compressed air and dry with towel or tissue

I also found this video:

I sprayed mine periodically with air but never took them apart. I did this to mine and I was shocked how dirty they were.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Mine are less then a year old.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions.

The Kessils have a control cable plugged into the Apex variable output port. Have you tried switching to the other varout port on the head unit, or one on a VDM?

With the control cable plugged in and functioning, is there a difference in what you're seeing with the lights if the power supply is plugged into the EB832 vs a wall outlet? How about with the control cable off?

Does your UV sterilizer also have variable output control, or does it just plug into an EB832 120V outlet? If it just has an on/off power function and it's flashing when it should be receiving no power, that suggests a problem with the energy bar.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing that you may wish to consider is the routing of the 0-10v cable. I had the same issue. The 0-10v cable controlling my return pump was interfering with the signal. Try running the cable isolated from any other power or 0-10v cabling and if the issue persists then you can rule this out. If it stops you have your answer. Mine worked fine initially but after adding hardware and cleaning and general fussing with my tank, cables moved and then the issue appeared though I didn't determine the correlation right away. After I separated and re-ran the cabling to limit interference from other cables the issue disappeared.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions.

The Kessils have a control cable plugged into the Apex variable output port. Have you tried switching to the other varout port on the head unit, or one on a VDM?

With the control cable plugged in and functioning, is there a difference in what you're seeing with the lights if the power supply is plugged into the EB832 vs a wall outlet? How about with the control cable off?

Does your UV sterilizer also have variable output control, or does it just plug into an EB832 120V outlet? If it just has an on/off power function and it's flashing when it should be receiving no power, that suggests a problem with the energy bar.
1.) The kessils are connected to a VDM currently.
2.) Ys- that is why Isuspect it is a EB832 issue
3.) It plugs directelly into a EB832 Outlet,. Not variable

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're right. A UV sterilizer plugged into one of the EB832 relayed 120V outlets should not be showing any power use when the outlet is turned off or programmed off. If you have a multimeter you can turn each outlet off manually and then check them for voltage/amperage. Or maybe time to contact tech support if it's a new unit.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- It is about 2 months old. So pretty new.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back