Apex mounting help

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start building my apex cabinet, but I have a little issue due to the tank being an in wall, and outlets are a couple feet behind the tank. In my mind I have 2 options. 1- run the energy bar across the floor (which the cord is barely long enough, so I'll have to use an extension (which I don't want to do) or 2- run all my equipment across the floor because going over head isn't an option due to cable length. Would love to hear some ideas and feed back.

In picture one and two that is my dedicated 20 for apex and equipment.

In picture three that is another dedicated 20 for the radions and maybe 2 300 watt heaters.

20190208_214139.jpg
20190208_213643.jpg
20190208_213650.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue as far as cable length is the probe cables. Will those reach across the ceiling to where they need to go? Remember all you need over on the other side is one module....the rest can be daisy chained using extra long aquabus cables. I have my apex running a reptile enclosure 20 feet from my main board just by using long aquabus cables and additional powerbars.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue as far as cable length is the probe cables. Will those reach across the ceiling to where they need to go? Remember all you need over on the other side is one module....the rest can be daisy chained using extra long aquabus cables. I have my apex running a reptile enclosure 20 feet from my main board just by using long aquabus cables and additional powerbars.

15496825564721755698848.jpg
They are long enough, ill just run them down low and put a small rug down over them to prevent damage and tripping, And of course brs is out of the 30 ft aquabus cable!

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How will the only thing going to the other side is a aquabus cable, I still have to plug the eb's in right? So wouldn't they have to go across too?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquabus cable is just a usb cable. You can get good ones at cables to go in any length. Keep them away from power cables if you can.
Its early and im foggy but looks like you have new construction here and have pulled power outside of the wall. Why not just relocate the boxes in pic 1 and 2.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquabus cable is just a usb cable. You can get good ones at cables to go in any length. Keep them away from power cables if you can.
Its early and im foggy but looks like you have new construction here and have pulled power outside of the wall. Why not just relocate the boxes in pic 1 and 2.

The boxes are outside the wall because that is a solid filled block wall (used to be an exterior wall). I don't think relocating the outlets would change anything. If I want to put my apex cabinet on the side of the tank I will still have a power cord running from the eb832 to the plug in the wall.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I did my apex cabinet it runs 2 aquariums and has a aquabus cable going to my water change station. I did buy extension cables for my gyres and I use extension cords for all the equipment in my sump as it makes it easier to unplug heaters, the skimmer, fuge lights etc this way

Cabinet
f6c96e1f72376821c8fded3e1b48624d.jpg

Whole setup
b1888522c2928263a5fb438822a9ed5e.jpg

Extension cords mounted at the top of my stand above my sump so I don’t have to worry about leaks
c498fe03865a5a3ce735d7e2941aab56.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about extending the outlets ( should be easy given the exposed/mounted conduit) to the side of the tank? It looks like there is room on the side, under the wall sconce in your third picture. You may to scoot the QT tank over a little, but that area looks like it would would for a wall mounted "Apex" board.

We not be seeing the big picture here. Can you get a photo of the entire area?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have 2 tanks here. Which tank will the apex cabinet be on? Big tank wall? Small tank wall? Im thinking small tank wall and then the ebs over on the side of the big tank.
Without running new electric up near the ceiling then down the short door wall next to the big tank we have to go under a rubber mat or some rug on the floor with this
https://www.electriduct.com/Flat-Power-Extension-Cord.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about extending the outlets ( should be easy given the exposed/mounted conduit) to the side of the tank? It looks like there is room on the side, under the wall sconce in your third picture. You may to scoot the QT tank over a little, but that area looks like it would would for a wall mounted "Apex" board.

We not be seeing the big picture here. Can you get a photo of the entire area?

I can't get a pic of the whole area it's too tight, but I want to but it either next to the fuge or on the side of the sump. I think I'll just follow lbacha and run extensions from the module at the outlets to the apex cabinet I will set up next to the sump.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic one- set the apex cabinet next to the sump.

Pic two- set the cabinet next to the fuge stand
20190209_081421.jpg
20190209_081440.jpg

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have 2 tanks here. Which tank will the apex cabinet be on? Big tank wall? Small tank wall? Im thinking small tank wall and then the ebs over on the side of the big tank.
Without running new electric up near the ceiling then down the short door wall next to the big tank we have to go under a rubber mat or some rug on the floor with this
https://www.electriduct.com/Flat-Power-Extension-Cord.html

I would have to run an extension cable to the eb's from the wall to the tank.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get a pic of the whole area it's too tight, but I want to but it either next to the fuge or on the side of the sump. I think I'll just follow lbacha and run extensions from the module at the outlets to the apex cabinet I will set up next to the sump.

I sent you a PM.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread here... I'm using 1 foot extension cables for this same purpose... just wanted to check if it's ok to plug a 2-hole cord (like from my heater or mighty jet return pump) into one of the 3-prong plugins on the extension cord? The extension cords specify not to... but this may be a 1960 safety consideration... Thanks for any electrical insights!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back