Apex Neptune Compatible / Ready Equipment?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a Neptune but trying to figure out what equipment it works with and what changes I might need to make. For example, it looks like I need to add a WXM if I want to control my Vortech powerhead but it’s not clear if I can control my Vectra M2. So maybe I’m limited to simply turning the M2 on and off.

Thanks in advance

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, EcoTech never implemented WXM compatibility on the Vectra line of pumps even though they hinted they would many years ago, so you would only be able to turn on/off the pump via the EnergyBar output.

What other equipment do you have that you'd like to control? Certain lights can be controlled with the WXM, AWM, or the 0-10v variable outputs.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To control the Vectra you would have to get a Reeflink …. or replace the Vectra with a COR. I ended up doing the former; works fine.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, Reeflink is ecotech’s proprietary controller that can control Radion lights, vortech power heads and the Vecta pumps, but nothing else and doesn’t interface with the Apex or any other controllers. Eco tech chose not to include a 0-10v input on the Vecta pumps, so they don’t interface with any controllers beyond simple on/off.

If you want a pump that can be controlled by an Apex either the COR 15/20 pumps or Varios pumps are solid choices.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef and @Sleepydoc I understand the limitations of EcoTech and their reluctance to have an open platform. And that will certainly sway future buying decisions.

But I’m a new reefer and equipment is less than six months old. That said here is my equipment list

AI Prime Hydra HD x2
Vectra M2
VorTech MP40
Tunze Osmolator ATO
Heater and Skimmer are less of an issue. Happy to replace and let’s be honest this is an on / off function. Will likely need to add two part doser and would love AWC (probably won’t happen)

So not sure if Neptune makes most sense or should I wait for Hydros.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if you've got new equipment it's hard to justify replacing it.

It looks like you've got a nice setup. the first thing you should ask yourself is what you want to do with a controller. It's easy to get caught up in all the gear in this hobby, but it's expensive enough without getting stuff you don't really need. Controllers are nice but absolutely not a necessity for most people. I liken them to a smartphone - life was fine before we had them, but now that we have them we don't know how we lived without them.

Looking at your equipment, you have a solid ATO, a good powerhead and a good return pump. I'm pretty sure the Vectra pumps have a feed mode built in, and your lights can be scheduled on their own. If you don't get a controller I'd get a separate controller for the heaters, like a Ranco or an Inkbird, but you can do just fine with what you've got right now. A controller can definitely help track and automate certain things but in many ways I think you're better off starting out without one so you get a better feel for what needs to be done.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sleepydoc thanks for your thoughts. As a newbie I’m still trying to get a “feel” for my tank so I wouldn’t be doing a ton of automation (yet). I think it’s the monitoring and protecting from faults that attracts me to a controller. I’m out quite a bit, so to be able to monitor tank parameters remotely etc would be very helpful.

Back