Apex or GHL?

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I'm buying an aquarium that includes the full Apex and DOS as well. But I've read a lot of negative notes about the Apex crashing leading to bigger issues.
- Are the GHL controllers (and probes) more or less reliable?
- Easier or harder to use?
- Have more or less functionality?
If it might be a nightmare to operate / keep running properly, I may consider selling the full Apex and buying the full GHL... It would also cost me quite a bit more to get the GHL, but if I'm going to do it, now would be the time vs waiting to find out if the Apex caused problems for me. BTW, I've been reefing for 10 years but have never used any sort of controller.

Also, can Apex and/or GHL (and I guess the Trident and KH Director) operate with a Jebao WiFi dosing pump (for example), or will I have to use their own dosers (which are pricey)?

Or, is there something else I should consider? I'm sure there will be a lot of varied opinions on this, but I'd like to hear them! Being more popular, I'm sure there's a bigger pool of support here for Apex-related issues too...? Thanks,
--Kyle

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We were just discussing this. Lots of folks stand by Apex, but GHL is apparently the new "it" controller.

HCl+NaHO=

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I'm buying an aquarium that includes the full Apex and DOS as well. But I've read a lot of negative notes about the Apex crashing leading to bigger issues. Are the GHL controllers (and probes) more or less reliable? Easier or harder to use? Have more or less functionality? If it might be a nightmare to operate / keep running properly, I may consider selling the full Apex and buying the full GHL... BTW, I've been reefing for 10 years but have never used any sort of controller.

Also, can Apex and/or GHL (and I guess the Trident and KH Director) operate with a Jebao WiFi dosing pump (for example), or will I have to use their own dosers (which are pricey)?

Or, is there something else I should consider? I'm sure there will be a lot of varied opinions on this, but I'd like to hear them! Thanks,
--Kyle
If your little section of the Internet goes down

Which controller still works? Which controller can still message you that the internet, and your house power is out?

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune is lightyears ahead with their web interface, APP, and the number of modules IMO.

I do software development and would rather use the APEX. From what I understand the GHL controller has a webserver but is really only a windows application. That really limits the integrations it can do with other products. It also suggests that they are not putting alot of R&D into their platform and supporting newer tech like cloud based automation. I expect that 3rd party products like the mindstream will have a much easier time integrating the APEX vs a GHL windows application.

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am still running the old EB8’s solid as a rock they are. the new EB832’s scare me. I have heard many outlet/unit failure stories with this new plug module. Has anyone herd neptune is looking into this issue? BTW you will love the apex platform/programming

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune is lightyears ahead with their web interface, APP, and the number of modules IMO.

I do software development and would rather use the APEX. From what I understand the GHL controller has a webserver but is really only a windows application. That really limits the integrations it can do with other products. It also suggests that they are not putting alot of R&D into their platform and supporting newer tech like cloud based automation. I expect that 3rd party products like the mindstream will have a much easier time integrating the APEX vs a GHL windows application.
Um.....

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both have pluses and minuses. GHL is a rock solid set up. It has a learning curve. The nice thing is that allot of GHL items can be used without needing a head controller.

I had to decide between both units and I chose GHL. As I wanted a rock solid reliable system.

I have never used APEX. So I can’t say much about it. There is a HUGE thread here about how someone switched. Read it a little and see for your self.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a debate that will never end.

I have an apex and love it, others have a GHL and they love it also. Both controllers are top notch and you can't go wrong with either one.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an APEX classic for years. Never had any problem with it at all. It has kept working power blips and internet outages.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really tougher question with already having an Apex and why move from what you have. Largely it comes down to how you like the interface to be honest but to answer some of your questions:

Both are reliable and both companies have been in the controller business since the 90s. Probe life is a tough one because husbandry plays a large part in their lifespan.

Difficulty of use varies, GHL is a matter of learning the menus while Apex can be a matter of googling the code you want to use.

Functionality is 95ish% the same between platforms, but Apex is more about buying external modules while GHL has a larger upfront cost. *Vortech MPX0 controller and leak sensors being the only external GHL modules. I'm not aware of a 3rd party product that works with one and not the other.

I don't believe that either can control Jabeo dosers. That said, GHL can control 16 individual pump heads in it's ecosystem.

@HCl+NaHO= both still work without internet access. GHL's ability to modify control without internet is a little better imo, but fusion heartbeat is a really nice feature. GHL has a power outage notification option, but not as refined yet.

@aqua_code last I heard is mindstream is planning on its own controller and doesn't have interest in integration. What products are Apex ready that aren't 1-10v controlled besides vortech powerheads?

I migrated from Apex Classic to GHL and have been happy with the move. Some other factors I like is that GHL products stack on a shelf versus module after module. I also greatly prefer the aesthetics of the GHLs products greatly.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saying which one is better is only opinions.

I run a apex. It has been a solid unit for me. No issues besides some probe calibration. I have not used any others so I cannot comment about the reliability.

Just decide on what you want your controller to handle and see which one fits the bill.

Can’t go wrong with either.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good thread to see some of the differences, along with some charts is here:

Lightyears ahead is very subjective statement by the one poster. As a person who uses both, but did switch to GHL, I still have a tank on Apex and GHL (Used to continue to compare) and Apex is light years ahead is just plain not true. Yes it may have some integration points or modules that GHL does not have, but there are also things GHL does that Apex does not do either.

Depending on the integration points your looking for, reliability and Stability there are differences between the two. I always tell people look at the features you want and are important to you then compare and choose. For me Reliability and Stability hence the thread :)

Last edited:

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned both, and both are great controllers. I would lean towards Neptune though. GHL has the upper hand with quality and reliability, Neptune is not far behind. Factor in the price, and Neptune is in reach of far more people.

But I also lean away from controllers in general now. Having all stuff running off one computer is asking for trouble. I keep things separate. My lights are GHL Mitras and they control themselves(most any LED can do this). I have Tunze pumps for flow, with battery back up. and I use a ranco for heat. Less catasrophe if something fails. I was using an Apex Junior on my reef tank to monitor and send alerts, though it had no control.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned both, and both are great controllers. I would lean towards Neptune though. GHL has the upper hand with quality and reliability, Neptune is not far behind. Factor in the price, and Neptune is in reach of far more people.

But I also lean away from controllers in general now. Having all stuff running off one computer is asking for trouble. I keep things separate. My lights are GHL Mitras and they control themselves(most any LED can do this). I have Tunze pumps for flow, with battery back up. and I use a ranco for heat. Less catasrophe if something fails. I was using an Apex Junior on my reef tank to monitor and send alerts, though it had no control.
Since I don’t know anything about Apex, I’ll only speak for my GHL experience. When the GHL computer shuts off for any reason you can have your outlets on the powerbars fail to off or on. This keeps things running in a user defined default mode.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I don’t know anything about Apex, I’ll only speak for my GHL experience. When the GHL computer shuts off for any reason you can have your outlets on the powerbars fail to off or on. This keeps things running in a user defined default mode.

Neptune Apex has that feature as well.

Its still relying on one single computer for everything. Even when using either GHL or Neptune, I never had a problem. Its that whole Murphys law thing :)

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a little research about controllers, (I am not an expert at all) the cloud base, Trident and extensive market coverage convinced me so I bought an Apex.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five years ago, when considering a controller (I managed the first 25 years without one .... LOL), I debated also between GHL and Neptune. From my perspective, and at the time, hardware and software seemed broadly equivalent but Neptune support seemed better .... particularly the hobbyist forums. I think the comments that either would be a fine choice is correct, though I’ve no regrets about choosing Neptune. I’ve had a few issues along the way, but nothing major. I’d be hard pressed to make a cogent argument for spending the $$ to move to GHL.

wrasse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a vhs vs beta max or blueray vs hddvd thing. One will be the clear winner purely because of mass adoption, most likely apex. Eventually something better will come along and crush them like streaming did to conventional movie media.

I run apex and like it, I don't get overly complex with the code writing, but it works for me. I do however like the ghl dosers better, I for the life of me can't image why they would design these oddly shaped dos or trident other than aesthetics. I'm sure I'm not alone in space being at a premium, and trying to find space for these funky looking things just isn't going to happen for most hobbyists.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back