Apex pricing?

Mark Taber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at the cost of the Apex controller here in the UK from various suppliers and the price difference between them all is approximately £1. That is $1.28. Now that does not seem to be right when so many other product prices fluctuate so much between stores. What's the story in the US, are the prices much different between suppliers?

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all pretty much the same. I *think* Neptune has a MAP pricing policy. So you won't find anyplace that has it significantly cheaper than anywhere else.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, stores and vendors are stuck on MAP (manufactured advice prices)
Sometimes they can give a 10% discount but any other discount needs to be approved by Neptuneit self.
This is done for product protection

OP
OP
M

Mark Taber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the UK we have a law to prevent price fixing such as the practice mentioned above and that would break UK law. They can set a MAP but they cannot stop a store selling the product at whatever price they want. I hope that is that what is going on here.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the UK we have a law to prevent price fixing such as the practice mentioned above and that would break UK law. They can set a MAP but they cannot stop a store selling the product at whatever price they want. I hope that is that what is going on here.

Correct, here a store has the freedom to sell it at a super low price as well but that will result in a contract breach with Neptune as results they will remove you from future purchases on Neptune products.
Many times they throw in there free shipping or recalibration kits for the PH, and ORP, sometimes a future gift card or bonus points in order to make a sale.

OP
OP
M

Mark Taber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I hear too much in the UK that the manufacturer will just stop supplying the store the product if they go outside the MRP. The contract they sign with the manufacturer would not stand up in court so it is worthless but it puts the store in a no win situation. We, the hobbyists need to vote with our money and when we see this practice, avoid buying the products. I have seen the price of the Profilux 4 fluctuate a bit between stores in the UK which indicates to me GHL follow the rules so I have decided I will purchase one of those instead.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the US, we have a MAP policy. In the UK there is simply a RRP. Many brands and products in other markets have such arrangements (nikon, sony, Microsoft, Apple, etc.). A race to the bottom helps no one, especially the consumer in such small niche markets like saltwater aquariums. Why? Well if there is no margin for the supply chain, they will not sell the products. If stores will not carry the products, there is no (or much less) revenue and there will be no innovation.

Instead we want our distributors to pick resellers that provide true value to their customers - and are not just looking for a quick buck - here today, gone tomorrow.

Good luck with your purchase and happy reefkeeping.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Apex, anyone heard anything on a release in the UK of the EB8 energy bar?

I've been hanging off buying apex until this is released as I'm not paying £820 to find that weeks after the new kits been released finally. I'd sooner not have it as the frustration would be unbearable!lol.

My LFS said 'maybe' later this year towards Christmas.........

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Energy Bar 6 for the UK is the current model and there will be no replacement in the immediate future. Certainly not this year. I certainly would not wait simply because of that.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Energy Bar 6 for the UK is the current model and there will be no replacement in the immediate future. Certainly not this year. I certainly would not wait simply because of that.
Thanks for the up date Terence.

That's the problem 'immediate future'. I am just going to hang on for the new bar in any case as it's a lot of money for old and replaced technology. In my case I want the power monitoring for failures etc

OP
OP
M

Mark Taber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence, are you saying Neptune will only sell to aquarium stores that do not discount there products?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back