Apex probes fully submerged

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question, but I saw somewhere not to fully submerge the apex probes in the water, only like half way or so. That makes sense, but with the probes in my sump, any time I shut off a return pump, the water level rises and submerges the probes. Is this something that's going to bite me later and cause issues? With feeding and regular maintenance, I'd expect the probes to be fully submerged at least a few times a week for 30-60 minutes at a time.

Not really related, are the probe holders mainly just for looks, or do they help protect the probes and preseve their longevity? I just got my apex recently and didn't realize they didn't come with any sort of probe holder, so I just have them dangling in my sump for now.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All mine are submerged & I've never had a problem.
Probe holders help with any weight on a cord, stop floating around and keep them straight in the water.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stress point is where the cable meets the probe. If its not secure then movement over time can cause failure at that point. I try to keep my probes from being fully submerged but during water changes with return pump off, some get submerged.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The probes can be submerged, but over time the cable will become brittle. Neptune has not stated how long that can take.

I keep my salinity probe fully submerged upside down in my sump to prevent bubbles from getting trapped inside the tube. It's been working fine this way for nearly 3 years. I keep it in a place where the cable won't get bumped, so if it is brittle it shouldn't be an issue.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep my temp probe fully submerged at all times. The top of the pH probe should stay dry as much as possible but those short periods were your return is off wont hurt anything...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back