Apex programming Help

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon family, I'm hoping someone can solve this issue that's puzzling me on my apex. I would like the apex to do the following:

1. If the main system pump is off then the skimmer should be too, once the main system pump is running the skimmer should turn on 2 minutes after the main system pump is back on.

2. If power is lost, turn the skimmer back on 2 min after power is restored.

This is what I have programmed for the skimmer input:

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Output Sys_Ret_Pump = OFF Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 002 Then ON
Defer 002:00 Then ON

Here is my problem. It doesn't work! lol. As soon as power is restored the skimmer overflows (when set to on line 4) or never comes back on when set to off (line 4).

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using the If Power command, you have to also coordinate it with the "Power Monitor" setting on your Apex. Read this post where I explain it:

Once you have that set correctly, this is the command you need to use for your skimmer to force it to remain Off for 2 minutes after power is restored:

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Power Apex Off 002 Then OFF

For more Apex tips and examples, be sure to check out my whole series of Apex tutorials:

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using the If Power command, you have to also coordinate it with the "Power Monitor" setting on your Apex. Read this post where I explain it:

Once you have that set correctly, this is the command you need to use for your skimmer to force it to remain Off for 2 minutes after power is restored:

Fallback OFF
Set ON

For more Apex tips and examples, be sure to check out my whole series of Apex tutorials:
Thank you very much, ill work on it right now!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fallback OFF
Set ON

Thanks, so i went in and followed the instructions. The part I'm confused about is disabling the power monitor?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so i went in and followed the instructions. The part I'm confused about is disabling the power monitor?
It’s quite simple:

If you have the optional 12v aux power adapter plugged into your Apex, then set Power Monitor to Enabled.

If you don’t have the 12v aux adapter, set Power Monitor to Disabled.

It’s basically telling the Apex whether or not to expect electricity to be detected on the Aux port of the base unit.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s quite simple:

If you have the optional 12v aux power adapter plugged into your Apex, then set Power Monitor to Enabled.

If you don’t have the 12v aux adapter, set Power Monitor to Disabled.

It’s basically telling the Apex whether or not to expect electricity to be detected on the Aux port of the base unit.
Thanks, silly question though... What does that have to do with the apex turning my skimmer on or waiting after a power outage? Just trying to understand.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, silly question though... What does that have to do with the apex turning my skimmer on or waiting after a power outage? Just trying to understand.
OK, I'll try to fully explain it:

The typical way to delay a skimmer from turning on (after a feed mode or other event where the sump water level is too high because the return pump has been off) is to use a "Defer 005 Then ON" delay. However, after a power failure when the Apex first boots up, Defer is ignored, and the skimmer turns on right away and usually overflows since the sump water level is too high.

The way around this issue is to use the "If Power Apex Off 005 Then OFF" command. This command evaluates True while the power is off and for 5 minutes after the power is restored. But this is where the "Power Monitor" setting comes into play.

If your Apex has a 12v power adapter plugged into its Aux power port, that allows the Apex to monitor if your house has electricity or not, when used in conjunction with a UPS backup battery, a generator, or some alternate supply of electricity. In order for it to detect the power is out, the Power Monitor setting needs to be Enabled, the 12v Aux adapter needs to be plugged into the circuit that you're monitoring, and the Apex also needs to have an EnergyBar or other AquaBus module connected to an alternate power source:

1632172517556.png

In this scenario, when the power goes out, the Apex can selectively turn off or turn on devices you select.

HOWEVER, if you don't have that 12v Aux power adapter plugged in, and you set the Power Monitor to Enabled, the Apex will not detect any power on the Aux port and it will assume the power is out. So if you have this line of code on your skimmer:

If Power Apex Off 005 Then OFF

that line of code will evaluate as True at all times because it thinks there's an active power failure, and it will turn off your skimmer even though the Apex is up and running. That's why I said it's important to set Power Monitor to Disabled if you don't have the 12v Aux power adapter.

When Power Monitor is Disabled, the Apex ignores the Aux port. Instead, the "If Power Apex Off 005 Then OFF" command only evaluates as True for the first 5 minutes after the Apex has booted back up after a power failure, so it will keep the skimmer turned off the way you want it after power is restored.

Sorry this was so lengthy, but many people get confused about the proper use of Power Monitor.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, thank you very much for that explanation! I understand completely, last question... i think lol. If power monitor is disabled will the apex not report an external pump or any other peripheral using more energy(IE: a jammed return pump) or less energy because a device stopped working?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, thank you very much for that explanation! I understand completely, last question... i think lol. If power monitor is disabled will the apex not report an external pump or any other peripheral using more energy(IE: a jammed return pump) or less energy because a device stopped working?
The Apex "Power Monitor" setting on the Misc Setup screen is strictly related to it checking if the Aux power port is receiving 12v from the external power adapter. It has nothing to do with the EB832 and EB632 capability of monitoring watts & amps per outlet, or the EB8, EB6, EB4 monitoring the overall amps drawn on those EngeryBars. You'll have no problem continuing to check for unusual power draw from pumps or other devices.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex "Power Monitor" setting on the Misc Setup screen is strictly related to it checking if the Aux power port is receiving 12v from the external power adapter. It has nothing to do with the EB832 and EB632 capability of monitoring watts & amps per outlet, or the EB8, EB6, EB4 monitoring the overall amps drawn on those EngeryBars. You'll have no problem continuing to check for unusual power draw from pumps or other devices.
TYVM!!!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bother again. I just made the change and it turned off my skimmer?
If you made a change to the Power Monitor setting, I believe you may need to reboot the Apex for the change to take effect.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back