Apex questions, thank you

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good afternoon!

I recently bought an apex and have been trying to figure everything out. I am going to be using a BoB.I am not on the apex forums I might join them I prefer reef2reef honestly. I was wondering if any one could answer some questions.

1: I am going to set up magnetic switch for cabinet lights

- what wires do I buy so I can extend the magnetic switch wires?

2: I am going to use float switch’s for my nyos skimmer cup.

- are the wires okay in the water or should I add some protection to it? I am planning on adding one to my ATO reservoir so it will let me know when low. Is the wire okay to be submerged

3: does anyone have a link to a float switch or magnetic switch they used and like?

4: last question promise lol. For a cabinet light do you think it’s worth paying and using an outlet for an led strip or should I just use my refugium light as the light? So when I open my door the refugium light kicks on. This would save some money and an outlet space would that be fine or do you think having an led strip would be better?

thank you all again so much!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. I'd just run a battery-operated LED with sensor. Unless you want algae growing everywhere you'll want to somewhat restrict the refugium light to the refugium itself. Some cover the sides black or enclose the light over the chamber.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to isolate the wires from water. I ran the ones in my saltwater mixing container and my RODI containers inside a piece of 1/4 Pex I purchased at Home Depot along with a small piece of vinyl tubing to attach the float to the apex. If that makes any sense. This is what I did for all my float switches attached to my BOB. I bought my float switches off of Amazon. As far as wire, I used the speaker wire that I had from my surround sound. They were all colored different so it made things easier to id on my BOB.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4. I'd just run a battery-operated LED with sensor. Unless you want algae growing everywhere you'll want to somewhat restrict the refugium light to the refugium itself. Some cover the sides black or enclose the light over the chamber.
Ah okay thank you!

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try to isolate the wires from water. I ran the ones in my saltwater mixing container and my RODI containers inside a piece of 1/4 Pex I purchased at Home Depot along with a small piece of vinyl tubing to attach the float to the apex. If that makes any sense. This is what I did for all my float switches attached to my BOB. I bought my float switches off of Amazon. As far as wire, I used the speaker wire that I had from my surround sound. They were all colored different so it made things easier to id on my BOB.
That makes sense! For the pex I’m not sure the width of pex but does the water still get in? It’s not water tight correct? Is this mainly for safety of things messing with the wires?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the float switches that I've used from Amazon have probably a foot or so of wiring coming off of them. As long as where i solder the extensions on aren't under water I've never worried about it.

Also for the cabinet lighting, if you don't plan on using all of your 24v ports you should be able to easily add a 24v light strip with a little diy so that you're not using one of your 8 normal outlets.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All of the float switches that I've used from Amazon have probably a foot or so of wiring coming off of them. As long as where i solder the extensions on aren't under water I've never worried about it.

Also for the cabinet lighting, if you don't plan on using all of your 24v ports you should be able to easily add a 24v light strip with a little diy so that you're not using one of your 8 normal outlets.
Ah okay perfect! And sorry if this sounds stupid. I’m a noob when it comes to apex I currently use the hydros. When you say 24v port I have the Apex EL. Does that come with it ? Or is 24v what comes out of the BoB?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense! For the pex I’m not sure the width of pex but does the water still get in? It’s not water tight correct? Is this mainly for safety of things messing with the wires?
No it’s pretty much water right. I use the white 1/4 Pex and on each end of connection I use a small piece of vinyl tubing that fits nice and snug over the 1/4 PEX. On connection outside of my mixing container I use John Guest fittings. I will get you a picture in a few. As you can see in picture wire is isolated from water. As far as EL the only difference between the 2 are the EL doesn’t have the ORP or salinity otherwise they are exactly the same. Your BOB will plug into your Apex and from there you wire whatever you desire to it and the. program

701FD66F-CB67-4B59-8D26-1ECF8B4F3551.jpeg 1FDBE3F6-B4AF-4B7D-864F-61457A16BE43.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay perfect! And sorry if this sounds stupid. I’m a noob when it comes to apex I currently use the hydros. When you say 24v port I have the Apex EL. Does that come with it ? Or is 24v what comes out of the BoB?
No it's an output from the eb832 which is the same on the full apex and the apex El. The eb832 has 8 normal outlets, 3 1link ports, and 2 24v ports. Neptune was very creative on naming their products.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No it's an output from the eb832 which is the same on the full apex and the apex El. The eb832 has 8 normal outlets, 3 1link ports, and 2 24v ports. Neptune was very creative on naming their products.
Ah okay that makes sense so I would need this correct and just attach it to the led strip? Also how do I connect them do they have to be soldered or can I just twist them together and shrink wrap?

Attachments

• 1042583A-AA04-4CB9-B6DB-1458E51E0584.png
    1042583A-AA04-4CB9-B6DB-1458E51E0584.png
    374.8 KB · Views: 30

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay that makes sense so I would need this correct and just attach it to the led strip? Also how do I connect them do they have to be soldered or can I just twist them together and shrink wrap?
I would personally solder them but either way is likely fine. Also the led strips I was thinking of using usually only have pads to solder wires to and not leads already on them, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find some leds with them already attached. Also make sure the leds are 24v, and when connecting them make sure the polarity is right.

There was a youtube channel that I watched once that setup led lights connected to his 24v port so that when there was an error on his apex the lights would flash. He used it so if he was near the tank he would have a visual indicator that there was an error. I've never done it personally but I was considering doing it but I have plans for both of my 24v ports.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would personally solder them but either way is likely fine. Also the led strips I was thinking of using usually only have pads to solder wires to and not leads already on them, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find some leds with them already attached. Also make sure the leds are 24v, and when connecting them make sure the polarity is right.

There was a youtube channel that I watched once that setup led lights connected to his 24v port so that when there was an error on his apex the lights would flash. He used it so if he was near the tank he would have a visual indicator that there was an error. I've never done it personally but I was considering doing it but I have plans for both of my 24v ports.
Thank you so much for the information I’ll look for that video thank you again!

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Marcelo Simon
Here was the video I was talking about. He used it as a visual for an alarm but you could just as easily make it turn on when a door switch is opened for a sump door.

Thank you so much!!!! I will take a look at it right now. This is probably going to be the best way for me since I am out of outlets already lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back