Apex... Really, This is what I get for my money?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't pay a 1k price for it now, I cringed when the Apex classics were 399$ 8-9 years ago. I think I paid 200$ for my first (used) classic in 2015.

You got to learn in 2 months what it probably took me a lot more time due to the info on forums @ the time was waaayyyy more fickle. There was a LOT of go read the manual, not folks actually typing out blocks of code for you. I eventually printed out the 200 page pig of a manual and it still sits on my shelf to this day.

Be glad it's gotten easier to own one. Or else I'd be waiting on your pain to buy it second hand when you bowed out :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I printed the manual to. It sits on my coffee table. Ive read a good bit of it. I still don’t have it all worked out but learning slowly.

I am excited about the new module out for the AI Hrydas and Neros. As that’s whats on my tank.

I do want a Dos but heard its loud and would want the fish feeder but heard it has issues. I have a redsea doser and love it.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I printed the manual to. It sits on my coffee table. Ive read a good bit of it. I still don’t have it all worked out but learning slowly.

I am excited about the new module out for the AI Hrydas and Neros. As that’s whats on my tank.

I do want a Dos but heard its loud and would want the fish feeder but heard it has issues. I have a redsea doser and love it.
Don't touch the fish feeder, it's hot garbage. Tried it before, it's loud and large and frankly doesn't integrate all that well. Got it used, had it for about 3 months and sold it for more than paid for it.

What module for the hydras & ai lights? I have a1 models so I'm in the dark about anything new anymore as we're being quietly forced to upgrade.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dos is not very loud if only using it to dose small amounts of liquid, there is a slight hum though. Usually when I hear people complain about how loud it is they’re using it as an AWC.

The AFS has ran perfectly for me, but that thing is loud. As in if not for the fact that I knew that when I got it I would’ve assumed it was broken. I’m not sure how Neptune managed to find new motors that make that much noise.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't pay a 1k price for it now, I cringed when the Apex classics were 399$ 8-9 years ago. I think I paid 200$ for my first (used) classic in 2015.

You got to learn in 2 months what it probably took me a lot more time due to the info on forums @ the time was waaayyyy more fickle. There was a LOT of go read the manual, not folks actually typing out blocks of code for you. I eventually printed out the 200 page pig of a manual and it still sits on my shelf to this day.

Be glad it's gotten easier to own one. Or else I'd be waiting on your pain to buy it second hand when you bowed out :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I might need to borrow your manual... LOL I am much more of a tactile person.
The Hydros UIUX has it going on! Like I said if this was 6 months ago I would be working with that and still might for the other tanks.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, I generally like my apex. Yes the probes are a bit finicky. Yes the programming language is simplistic (by design). My biggest complaint is the support. You can tell that neptune is tired of dealing with the public...they stopped trying and just send out long pretyped responses to issues indicating that it is a user problem and if you cant fix it to your satisfaction, live with it.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The AFS has ran perfectly for me, but that thing is loud. As in if not for the fact that I knew that when I got it I would’ve assumed it was broken. I’m not sure how Neptune managed to find new motors that make that much noise.

I can say it worked as a great dinnerbell for the fish. The cheap wifi feeder I use is loud (not as loud as the afs) and they come running for pellets.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dos is not very loud if only using it to dose small amounts of liquid, there is a slight hum though. Usually when I hear people complain about how loud it is they’re using it as an AWC.

Yeah i want it to dose kalk and some coral food.

I use the red sea now for Kalk, cal, mag and coral food. Need 2 more heads.

I really wanted an AUto fish feeder so i can feed around noon. Someone keep pecking at my Gorgonian when the lights come on.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't touch the fish feeder, it's hot garbage. Tried it before, it's loud and large and frankly doesn't integrate all that well. Got it used, had it for about 3 months and sold it for more than paid for it.

What module for the hydras & ai lights? I have a1 models so I'm in the dark about anything new anymore as we're being quietly forced to upgrade.
They have a new VDM for AI/EcoTech

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might need to borrow your manual... LOL I am much more of a tactile person.
The Hydros UIUX has it going on! Like I said if this was 6 months ago I would be working with that and still might for the other tanks.
Maybe I’ve missed something but happened with CoralVue recently that has made you not willing to buy into the Hydros ecosystem?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, I generally like my apex. Yes the probes are a bit finicky. Yes the programming language is simplistic (by design). My biggest complaint is the support. You can tell that neptune is tired of dealing with the public...they stopped trying and just send out long pretyped responses to issues indicating that it is a user problem and if you cant fix it to your satisfaction, live with it.
My turn off is the support frankly sucks. The once a day email game is crap. Let's be real, the user base for the most part is trash and automatically assumes it's a problem on Neptune's end and most of it is self inflicted.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i want it to dose kalk and some coral food.

I use the red sea now for Kalk, cal, mag and coral food. Need 2 more heads.

I really wanted an AUto fish feeder so i can feed around noon. Someone keep pecking at my Gorgonian when the lights come on.
I don’t find anything wrong with the AFS other than the noise. It is loud.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t find anything wrong with the AFS other than the noise. It is loud.
Yeah im sick of noises with tanks. They really don’t need to be that loud. My skimmer is loud as heck and it’s annoying. The doser isn’t bad but you know its running. The tunze ato pump is stupidly loud. Like why???? But we can have huge return pump and wave makers be silent.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an issue with it?
That it isn't innovation. They could of spent another 5 bucks to integrate a Bluetooth module into the A3 head unit.

That's a money grab.

Prolly isn't compatible with the A1 like everything else that was announced/released recently.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My turn off is the support frankly sucks. The once a day email game is crap. Let's be real, the user base for the most part is trash and automatically assumes it's a problem on Neptune's end and most of it is self inflicted.
Yeah..i agree that many people are the source of the problems and I completely understand trying to save time by giving a good write up on common problems. The issue I have with this is that the people who genuinely have problems are automatically discounted. Its a complex platform which inherently will have a high degree of human error, but to automatically categorize the issues as human error without a bit of research shows that they are the dominant player in the market and dont have to be as serious with customer support.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im sick of noises with tanks. They really don’t need to be that loud. My skimmer is loud as heck and it’s annoying. The doser isn’t bad but you know its running. The tunze ato pump is stupidly loud. Like why???? But we can have huge return pump and wave makers be silent.
I guarantee the AFS is louder than any other aquarium equipment, lol. It doesn’t bother me though because it usually only runs when I’m not home anyway.
On a positive note you can hear that your fish are getting fed from anywhere in the house (that may be a slight exaggeration but not by much).

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer fix is easy, go DC pumps. I hear my water splashing over the return more than anything else anymore. Also working around loud noises for 30 years haven't helped, lol.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guarantee the AFS is louder than any other aquarium equipment, lol. It doesn’t bother me though because it usually only runs when I’m not home anyway.
On a positive note you can hear that your fish are getting fed from anywhere in the house (that may be a slight exaggeration but not by much).
After having one in a closed canopy no less it's not a exaggeration! One of my nearly deaf dogs would hear the grinding and walk to another room everytime.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back