Apex salinity issue

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you calibrate the apex. They are pretty finicky. Also make sure your calibration fluid is not expired. I had some packets that were expired about a month and I figured it would be ok. how off could it be. It threw my probe way off and once I got some fresh packets everything went back to normal. I would recommend getting a refractometer though. Hydrometers are not that accurate and hard to read.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air bubbles. You must put the probe in a place that has no bubbles to collects inside. I found I must invert the probe underwater to completely get the air out of the probe.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I have an Archon and not an apex and the probes on both can be finicky. They are bubble magnets and they register off. I made this out of a 1/2" shark bite t and 1/2" of tubing. It is the feed to a reactor and run by an mj600. No trapped bubbles here. No leaks either! It has been Rock steady ever since.

And I would believe new calibration fluid over a hydrometer every day.
10ea4fea62462bdd86b9eaa59766c1c1.jpg

dmax525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a few days to settle in also. I just installed my apex late last week and it took a few days for the salinity probe to settle down. Also I wouldn't rely on it to give you your exact salinity reading just watch to see how stable it is over time. Keeping it in the water for water changes and etc help and keeping it out of any sump compartment with air bubbles is a must I wouldn't run it in the skimmer chamber for example.

OP
OP
Frederick Edwards

Frederick Edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am gonna get a refractometer tomorrow. I will get my salinity where I want it to be with refractometer. Once that is established, can I then calibrate the probe with the water in my sump?

OP
OP
Frederick Edwards

Frederick Edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a few days to settle in also. I just installed my apex late last week and it took a few days for the salinity probe to settle down. Also I wouldn't rely on it to give you your exact salinity reading just watch to see how stable it is over time. Keeping it in the water for water changes and etc help and keeping it out of any sump compartment with air bubbles is a must I wouldn't run it in the skimmer chamber for example.
If I keep it in the refugium, will the heat from my light hurt the probes?

OP
OP
Frederick Edwards

Frederick Edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a refractometer and took a reading and my apex probe is matching up. I'm good to go. Thanks for the help everyone.

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a refractometer and took a reading and my apex probe is matching up. I'm good to go. Thanks for the help everyone.
Remember that the Apex conductivity probe, the hydrometer and the refractometer are measuring different things.

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having similar issues but my salinity probe changes depending on tank temperature which I'm told it shouldn't do
Before I had issues with my refractometer my salinity probe and refractometer were spot on

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back