Apex setup thoughts and couple questions

Mbarger82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to make the jump to apex and wanting to get as much automated as possible. Recently upgraded from a 29 biocube and 30g shallow tank that I consolidated in to this 93g corner tank. We get occasional power outages around here cause of storms. Looking at an apex EL and a trident to start with and at the moment I have a couple Powerheads and a koralia wavemaker. I know I can get the ubs, but I know it won’t run any of those Powerheads. What would be a Powerheads that can be used with the apex to keep water moving in the tank? Not overly interested in needing the return pump to run, the power outages don’t normally last but for a couple hours or so and if it goes longer I’ve got a backup generator to power everything. Also needing some breakout box ideas. I know I’m going to set one outlet up for my ato, one for a light to come on when my res for the ato gets low to tell me it needs to be refilled, and one for a light under the stand. How accurate are the dos pumps? If I end up getting them, are they actually worth the money? What also are some of the must have’s with the apex system? Currently running 2x hydra 26 HD’s and considering replacing with a gen 5 Radion with the supplement kit to control it remotely. Once summer hits and all this crap is over with, I’ll be gone most weekends for 3 days at a time, so I know I’m really wanting to go ahead and get the feeder kit to make sure everything is still well fed. Having to build shelves under my tank for everything that’s added cause it’s very limited space with being a corner tank, but I can fill it with shelves if needed.

661C2243-339F-44A1-BE19-BDA37F07D611.jpeg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex can be integrated with a UPS battery backup, and by using the optional 12v auxiliary power adapter, the Apex is capable of knowing when it's running on backup battery power, allowing you to program it to turn off any high-draw devices like lights, return pumps, heaters, and skimmers to preserve battery power for powerheads during a power outage. See my tutorial on Apex Power Monitoring for details on how to set up the UPS integration: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-4-power-monitoring.698/

The Apex can use a breakout box from Neptune, but in my opinion it's design isn't the best since it uses small screws to attach each wire, and it uses a single screw for the common wires which can be challenging to attach 6 wires on one screw:

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 8.50.34 PM.png

A better design is the breakout box from Avast Marine which uses push-button connectors like those used on home stereo speakers, making it way easier to attach wires for float switches or magnetic switches:

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 8.50.24 PM.png

The DOS pumps are very accurate, and very easy to program through the Apex. I use one to dose BRS 2-part controlled by my Trident to automatically increase or decrease the dosing amounts based on Trident test results, and another one for auto water changes where it changes out 2 gallons of water every day. They work great.

Be aware if you decide to go with the new Radion G5's they no longer support Apex integration. The older G4 and G3 models could be controlled through the Apex WXM module, but EcoTech has decided to go their own route with the G5 and no longer support the WXM.

See my 8-part Apex Programming Tutorial series for more details and tips on how to get the most from your Apex, including a whole segment on setting up automated Feed Cycles: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials.700483/

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any decent UPS should be able to keep a power head running for a couple of hours. That is really all you need in a short power outage.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 53 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back