Apex Trident Issue?

U

User1

View Badges
Come on guys ….. adjusting the vertical scale is the first 'cheap' trick in the statisticians playbook for making differences appear more profound than they actually are LOL. I look at data all the time for my job, and that's one of the first things I look for. Personally, the way that Apex displays variations is much more sensible to me. Variations between 8.03 and 8.25 just aren't statistically significant in my book (given the level of measurement error already noted).

Does seem a bit odd that alk is rising in the absence of any dosing though. How about water changes? Do those correlate with rising alk?

I don't disagree. However, the numbers are the same it is only for visual representation. As you suggest 8.03 and 8.25 is not significant.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in the market research world …. you would be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) how many people don't bother to actually note the scale on graphs. There's a lot of gamesmanship.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on guys ….. adjusting the vertical scale is the first 'cheap' trick in the statisticians playbook for making differences appear more profound than they actually are LOL. I look at data all the time for my job, and that's one of the first things I look for. Personally, the way that Apex displays variations is much more sensible to me. Variations between 8.03 and 8.25 just aren't statistically significant in my book (given the level of measurement error already noted).

Does seem a bit odd that alk is rising in the absence of any dosing though. How about water changes? Do those correlate with rising alk?
Thanks @ca1ore water change was done nearly a month ago as well. I was only changing the water to remove the excess heavy metal (Tin). Whats interesting is i completed a 17 gallon water change with NSW yesterday, and the midnight test resulted 7.92 ALK, followed by the 6am test: 8.01 and the lastest noon test 8.08.. When i conducted a manual test using the salifert kit yesterday it did confirm higher alk as well. Just plain weird....the only thing i can conclude is some of the lime stone rock in my substrate is buffering the ALK... i dont know what else to think.

1594928828562.png

U

User1

View Badges
What type of rock and substrate, if any?

Edit: also you said NSW - you mean natural sea water, right? If so, any chance you test the alk before adding? Just curious what it is.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of rock and substrate, if any?

Edit: also you said NSW - you mean natural sea water, right? If so, any chance you test the alk before adding? Just curious what it is.
I have substrate... its a mix between live sand, Tropic Eden, and various sizes of aragonite

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its perhaps a delay in the water change results showing up in the test..... I guess for now its one less thing i need to dose......

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check where you are keeping the sample water supply and check that and making sure it isn’t moving or in the correct spot. I also don’t think the .1 is a huge jump and the sps shouldn’t be affected by it. I would calibrate it with the solution after two month, after that run a test, and run a hand test and compare. If they are way off or not right, open a ticket with Neptune. I have only run one calibration in my tank as my apex is new but keep reading to calibrate it after every 2 months. My tank right after adding the new solution, my dig has been high, and I see it go down in duh and stabilize. I also Run a calcium reactor to which I know when things are bad and not right in my tank.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way, I've seen Alk Rise without dosing Alk is Water Changes (with higher Alk New water), and Salinity increases (meaning mixing Salt to higher Salinity means higher Alk Concenctration)..

Another would be some other additive, that might raise alk.

Or bad Alk Test results.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran across this response to a fellow reefer with the same issue and would like to get the community input.

"As for no3s relationship to Alk, it's when denitrifying bacteria converts no3 to nitrogen gas that Alk is created as a result. Other ways of decreasing no3 such as waterchanges, absorbtion media, macros, etc. won't effect Alk.

Oh, and Yea mag and cal haven't budged. But I'll test everything again tomorrow before my waterchange."

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back