Apex trident or kamoer kh carer

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’m building a 6 foot sps dominated tank. Now deciding between to go for apex trident(more expensive option) vs kamoer kh carer.

Reason I’m considering kh carer is because with tropic Marin all in for reef working so well. We don’t really need to test calcium and magnesium that often.

Just curious which option will u guys pick? Can’t decide myself.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros X10 and iV is my choice. Reagent (acid) is super cheap, all the parts are easily serviceable, super flexible in configuration, quieter than the KH Carer

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acid titration is more reliable than colorimeter, significantly cheaper reagent, on unit controls, ca/mg testing not super useful,

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
… the Trident uses acid titration. Its the same process, just with a pH chemical indicator mixed in instead of using a probe. And the probe requires some calibration.

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kamoer option requires using the cloud service to get the measurement value for automation purposes. This makes it a non-starer for me.
I was virtually about to either order the Kamoer KH Carer or wait for Kamoer CMK (or even Kamoer SPA, depending on price), but then realised it's only cloud-based, cannot be directly connected to a local network and basically works only over Wi-Fi, on Kamoer cloud platform which one day might become unavailable for whatever reason. It's a non-starter for me, although their product sounds great.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about Alkatronic dirt cheap acid for reagent?

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFAIK, Alkatronic suffers from the same lack of local control (cloud only).
does that means ur recommending going trident? but with all for reef now.. testing calcium and magnesium is not really needed.. u'll prob just need to do it once a mth

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident absolutely has downsides, and what you need the system for will dictate whats important to you.

I do use a Trident (one I've taken apart and fixed up some fluid paths a few times), and I also don't really need the Ca/Mg measurements. The upside is I can read the Trident values from the Apex locally, which lets me automate some Ca reactor functions reliably enough.

I'm not against there being a cloud (Apex Fusion exists, even though it really could use some actual care and feeding, as does the whole controller ecosystem, its nice to have), but I can poll the data locally for what the Trident is doing.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kaomer Reef Master Spa is a really nice unit

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back