Apex users: Public Service Announcement

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I find Miscellaneous But Not load and save ??

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find Miscellaneous But Not load and save ??

Did you go to the Misc Setup menu from Fusion, or the Apex.Local dashboard? It's not accessible through Fusion. Pay close attention to steps 1 & 2 in my instructions.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you go to the Misc Setup menu from Fusion, or the Apex.Local dashboard? It's not accessible through Fusion. Pay close attention to steps 1 & 2 in my instructions.
Oops, , , I did fusion. Will check local now

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Done - Easy enough and Thank you

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mentioned before here, but worth mentioning again. If your Apex system gets corrupted and you have to do a restore from a save, it's not as straightforward as you'd hope, and won't work if you just try to run the apexcfg.bin file without preparing the system first. Every attached module has to have the same Aquabus address as in the original setup, and if you don't keep a record of that information before a disaster happens, your chances of having an easy recovery are low.

At the very minimum, save a copy of your system configuration summary page, so that you have a record of which module is at which bus address, as well as other important information that may not be fully restored from the backup file. To do this, pull down the menu under your system name at the upper left of the Apex Fusion dashboard, and select Configuration -> Summary. Then save a full copy of that page. The best way to save it is as a web page, by right clicking and choosing Save Page As... Or you could save the page as a pdf file if you have that ability, or just print it out.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mentioned before here, but worth mentioning again. If your Apex system gets corrupted and you have to do a restore from a save, it's not as straightforward as you'd hope, and won't work if you just try to run the apexcfg.bin file without preparing the system first. Every attached module has to have the same Aquabus address as in the original setup, and if you don't keep a record of that information before a disaster happens, your chances of having an easy recovery are low.

At the very minimum, save a copy of your system configuration summary page, so that you have a record of which module is at which bus address, as well as other important information that may not be fully restored from the backup file. To do this, pull down the menu under your system name at the upper left of the Apex Fusion dashboard, and select Configuration -> Summary. Then save a full copy of that page. The best way to save it is as a web page, by right clicking and choosing Save Page As... Or you could save the page as a pdf file if you have that ability, or just print it out.
I have had that problem trying to restore a configuration after changing modules' AquaBus address. @SuncrestReef and @rkpetersen why is the dashboard in Fusion different than Local and when you save something to Fusion what gets saved in Local? How often should you update the dashboard in Local to reflect Fusion's dashboard?

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that problem trying to restore a configuration after changing modules' AquaBus address. @SuncrestReef and @rkpetersen why is the dashboard in Fusion different than Local and when you save something to Fusion what gets saved in Local? How often should you update the dashboard in Local to reflect Fusion's dashboard?
There is no synchronization between the Fusion dashboard layout and the Local dashboard layout. While the Inputs, Outputs, Modules, Profiles, and all the programming are stored on the Apex head unit, so all of that is identical across both dashboards, but the placement of those tiles is stored separately in Fusion and Local. Functionally there is no difference as all the programming is processed on the local Apex. It's just the view of how you lay out the tiles that is managed separately.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no synchronization between the Fusion dashboard layout and the Local dashboard layout. While the Inputs, Outputs, Modules, Profiles, and all the programming are stored on the Apex head unit, so all of that is identical across both dashboards, but the placement of those tiles is stored separately in Fusion and Local. Functionally there is no difference as all the programming is processed on the local Apex. It's just the view of how you lay out the tiles that is managed separately.
The local dashboard is run completely from the apex head unit while the fusion dashboard is run off of the apex server. Functionally the local dashboard can do the same things but there is more information available off of the server with regards to historical data.

ReeferboyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to do a back up but the download generates a zip file that can not be opened or loaded back up to Apex. Am I doing something wrong or is there something else I need to do?

1651256584622.png

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to do a back up but the download generates a zip file that can not be opened or loaded back up to Apex. Am I doing something wrong or is there something else I need to do?

1651256584622.png
I'm guessing the browser you are using is automatically converting the .bin file into a zip file. You could either just unzip the file to save it as a .bin file, or use a different browser to download the .bin file directly. Once it's saved as a .bin file, the Apex can load it.

ReeferboyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the browser you are using is automatically converting the .bin file into a zip file. You could either just unzip the file to save it as a .bin file, or use a different browser to download the .bin file directly. Once it's saved as a .bin file, the Apex can load it.
Thanks Suncrest, I've tried a different browser, Chrome, but it does the same thing. I've download various unzip apps but nothing will unzip the folder. Incidentally, when I click the on the save button in apex, it opens a new blank web page but doesn't load anything, I'm not sure if this is as expected or is of any importance.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Suncrest, I've tried a different browser, Chrome, but it does the same thing. I've download various unzip apps but nothing will unzip the folder. Incidentally, when I click the on the save button in apex, it opens a new blank web page but doesn't load anything, I'm not sure if this is as expected or is of any importance.
I’ve never heard of this issue before. You’ll probably need to contact Neptune Support:

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know in what format Apex saves the file but have you tried just renaming the file extension?

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If doing the backup from apex.local and restoring to same model replacement apex using apex.local from a prepared unit will it pull in all the programming of each of the outlets. Physical and Virtual? I ask because it came up on a Facebook thread. There doesn’t seem to be much info out there on this feature. I did read this entire thread and saw the questions was asked eairler but I didn’t see a direct answer so hoping someone who has tried it could share their experience around what comes over and what doesn’t with the restore

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting an error box when I do this. The requested login doesn't work with my standard Fusion user and password logins. Any tips on how to get past this?
Sign_in.jpg

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works for two of three of my systems. The third does not work with the admin 1234 approach. Any ideas?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back