Apex users: Public Service Announcement

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef the port is set to 80 I don't know if this was changed recently.

I got the IP from the Network Summary in Fusion, typed that in and it worked. Should I write this IP down? Will this IP always get me to Apex Local? What if this IP changes?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got the IP from the Network Summary in Fusion, typed that in and it worked. Should I write this IP down? Will this IP always get me to Apex Local? What if this IP changes?
Getting the IP address from the network summary in fusion is the most reliable, IME.

This IP address is assigned by your network router. Unless you have it specifically set for a static address, it will change periodically. It's unusual to need to use the local host; Fusion works well for the vast majority of what you need to do so I just look up the IP address manually when I need to log on to the local host.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since you mentioned in post# 18 above that DHCP is disabled, then the IP address will not change. If you ever enable DHCP on the Apex, then the IP address will be assigned by your router and may change from time to time.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef well now that all you are informing on the Apex Local I'll tell you why I inquired. Just today I had a screen sharing portal session with agent from NS. He invariably got my Apex reconnected to my internet network. I am having to do this with them every 3-4 months for some reason and when I ask them how to avoid these sessions the answer doesn't make much sense. There must be some sort of guide to how these networks work and how to stay connected. I tried to find how-to videos on YouTube but no luck there.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef well now that all you are informing on the Apex Local I'll tell you why I inquired. Just today I had a screen sharing portal session with agent from NS. He invariably got my Apex reconnected to my internet network. I am having to do this with them every 3-4 months for some reason and when I ask them how to avoid these sessions the answer doesn't make much sense. There must be some sort of guide to how these networks work and how to stay connected. I tried to find how-to videos on YouTube but no luck there.

I'd be happy to provide some networking tips and hopefully figure out what's causing your issue. But I'd suggest you post a new thread so we can keep this one focused on creating Apex backups. Please start a new thread tagging me, and describe the problem, what steps have already been done, and what Neptune recommended. For example, since your Apex is not using DHCP, was that something you did or Neptune recommended?

I just want to keep this thread on topic.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent advice ..... that I haven’t followed ..... backup to my music server saved my collection .... got to do this for my apex too.

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw someone else do this and thought it was a fantastic idea. Post your config file to a repo source like Github for easy access, you can also create a .md (markdown) doc to describe things if you need and attach it to the repo.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried and failed. When I click the orange save configuration I get a security pop up asking for a username and password for the IP address of my apex. Neither my current ones nor admin/1234 work. Stumped!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried and failed. When I click the orange save configuration I get a security pop up asking for a username and password for the IP address of my apex. Neither my current ones nor admin/1234 work. Stumped!

I had that problem once, but then tried with a different browser and it worked. Give that a shot.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this apply to Classic owners? And if so where can I find "misc"?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You probably already know this, but you don't want to use your Fusion username and password here.
You want to use whatever you changed it to on Local, which may be entirely different (as is the case with mine.)
If you have a Display unit, I believe you can find this info on there, although I haven't looked at it in awhile.
Also agree with trying a different browser.
For example, my current version of Firefox won't log into Apex Local at all; have to use Chrome or IE.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing about the apexcfg.bin backup file.
Your hardware configuration has to be exactly the same for the restore to work.
Meaning all modules must have the same addresses.
All inputs and outputs must be at the same ports.
This is why you need the Configuration Summary; to make sure that hardware is correctly set up first, after a major system or tank crash, before attempting the code restore.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably already know this, but you don't want to use your Fusion username and password here.
You want to use whatever you changed it to on Local, which may be entirely different (as is the case with mine.)
If you have a Display unit, I believe you can find this info on there, although I haven't looked at it in awhile.
Also agree with trying a different browser.
For example, my current version of Firefox won't log into Apex Local at all; have to use Chrome or IE.

Yes, I was using the local dashboard (though I use the same log in for both local and fusion). Tried a different browser, same result.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even Neptune support couldn’t figure it out .... not yet at least. Must confess it’s things like this that ‘worry’ me about relying too much on the apex.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saved my backup file the other day to my desktop and named it this with the date of the backup in it's name: Apexcfg 2019-12-17.bin

charlie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried saving it on Microsoft note, and when I try to open the folder to view it, a window pops up and all these crazy symbols and letters pop up. Totally unreadable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back