OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried saving it on Microsoft note, and when I try to open the folder to view it, a window pops up and all these crazy symbols and letters pop up. Totally unreadable.

The saved backup is a binary file, so it's not readable in a normal text editor like Notepad. The saved backup is only usable to load onto your Apex in the event of a failure, or if you replace your Apex with a new one of the exact same model.

The Configuration Summary report also described in my instructions above can be saved as a PDF file so you can read/copy/paste your programming if necessary.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried saving it on Microsoft note, and when I try to open the folder to view it, a window pops up and all these crazy symbols and letters pop up. Totally unreadable.

What, the .bin file? I wouldn't expect that to be readable in note, notepad, etc.
As far as the Configuration Summary, you can save that as a PDF file as above;
alternatively, you can save it as a webpage.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I save a configuration to my hard drive on my laptop it's not necessarily safe. If my laptop crashed I would lose my configuration so I address a gmail email to myself and download the .bin file to it thus saving my file to the cloud.

zid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
how to save back up copy from the browser
i have a red sea reefer 170, recently installed the Apex 2016 with EB6 ( Australia)
i can log into the apex local server but cannot down load a back up copy. Tried with chrome , Microsoft Edge and Mozilla firefox. It keeps on asking for user name and password when i click save configuration thanks for the assistance

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi
how to save back up copy from the browser
i have a red sea reefer 170, recently installed the Apex 2016 with EB6 ( Australia)
i can log into the apex local server but cannot down load a back up copy. Tried with chrome , Microsoft Edge and Mozilla firefox. It keeps on asking for user name and password when i click save configuration thanks for the assistance
I had the same issue kept trying the login I used to get into local.
then I tried admin/1234 and it worked

zid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jonreefer
i changed the user name /PW as suggested and it worked much appreciated

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually prefer to have my own backup config files on my own computer. So I like this system.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef how do you do the opposite of SAVE which is LOAD?

If you're restoring to a new Apex, you first need to go through the basic Apex setup to get it onto your network. Once that's done, or if you're just restoring to your same Apex that's already on the network, follow these steps:

1. From a desktop or laptop computer, browse to http://apex.local
  2. Log in with the local Admin account. This username and password is different from your Fusion account. If you never set it, the default is:
    Username: Admin
    Password: 1234

3. Click the Apex menu, then click Misc
  4. Click the Load/Save icon at the top. It looks like a hard disk:
  5. Select Load Apex Configuration from the dropdown list:
    Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 7.12.53 PM.png

6. Browse to find the previously saved backup file on your computer, then select which specific components to restore (you can selectively choose a portion or all of the configuration):
    Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 7.12.37 PM.png

7. Click the Load Configuration button.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're restoring to a new Apex, you first need to go through the basic Apex setup to get it onto your network. Once that's done, or if you're just restoring to your same Apex that's already on the network, follow these steps:

1. From a desktop or laptop computer, browse to http://apex.local
  2. Log in with the local Admin account. This username and password is different from your Fusion account. If you never set it, the default is:
    Username: Admin
    Password: 1234

3. Click the Apex menu, then click Misc
  4. Click the Load/Save icon at the top. It looks like a hard disk:
  5. Select Load Apex Configuration from the dropdown list:
    Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 7.12.53 PM.png

6. Browse to find the previously saved backup file on your computer, then select which specific components to restore (you can selectively choose a portion or all of the configuration):
    Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 7.12.37 PM.png

7. Click the Load Configuration button.
@SuncrestReef thanks I’ll check it out!!!!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnot it strange you do not have this function in the cloud? Why do not fusion save your setting to your account and offload all this coding and hassle especially when you switch or upgrade a controller...
My lights cloud tool does that..
So as my power pumps cloud tool.

That's one of the reason o depend on the cloid tool of the equipment if they have available and tey to reduce mu dependency on the controller..
lol, I guarantee their dev-ops guys have iterative backups to GitHub

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tried following the above steps to backup my Apex program, and the Load/Save icon is missing. This is all I have on the portal. Any thoughts appreciated!

ApexScreen.png

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tried following the above steps to backup my Apex program, and the Load/Save icon is missing. This is all I have on the portal. Any thoughts appreciated!

ApexScreen.png

Did you go to the Misc Setup menu from Fusion, or the Apex.Local dashboard? It's not accessible through Fusion. Pay close attention to steps 1 & 2 in my instructions.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if you forget the password for Apex Local?

Do you have a Display module? (which came with the older Apex Classic and Apex Jr. models). Or do you know a friend with one you could borrow? If so, you can view the password through its LCD screen under System...Net Setup...Admin Password.

If you don't have a Display module, then contact Neptune Support.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if you forget the password for Apex Local?
I don’t know but I can tell you that after a power failure mine did an auto reset back to the factory default password. I have had a few power failures and unpluggings so to be fair it only happened once.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know but I can tell you that after a power failure mine did an auto reset back to the factory default password. I have had a few power failures and unpluggings so to be fair it only happened once.
That's scary...I finally threw my hat into the ring and bought an apex. Though at this point I'm doing my best to maintain a distributed control and use it mainly for monitoring. However a factory reset even in that event isn't very comforting.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is not a common problem. Perhaps you had a power spike that caused the reset. But a normal power outage or just unplugging the Apex from power will not normally change any of its settings or programming.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a common problem. Perhaps you had a power spike that caused the reset. But a normal power outage or just unplugging the Apex from power will not normally change any of its settings or programming.
Don't know what happened during the outage all I know was that a couple of days later I could not Login. After several tries I used that factor default one and it logged right back in. It was not a huge deal to me because it's not like I lost the programming or anything else.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back