Apex VDM lighting won’t work!

SenorBubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Sooo I got an Apex second hand and have been working to set it up today. I’m getting the gist of it but can’t figure out why I can’t get the lights to work with the VDM... I’ve tried multiple combos of codes but this is what I have. I’ve tried modding the codes in the Bluelight/white light but that didn’t help either. I can’t even seem to just turn them on and off. Anything would help. Thanks!

Btw my lights are Kissel A360w

AB55748C-2281-416C-BECB-06A9012B2B26.png B6998FDF-21A3-4B40-989C-07F44D6163A3.png 10A11636-F53C-414A-A7C1-99F713E8B4CE.png 0C63D829-79D0-4431-955E-A3A09A0C2ACA.png

OP
OP
SenorBubs

SenorBubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Similar Threads I think I was able to figure it out. I had to calibrate the clock and I'm guessing I used the wrong outputs for my code so I moved my code to the two given outlets BLUELED and WHITELED. I'll know for sure tomorrow if that's right

OP
OP
SenorBubs

SenorBubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the timing works correctly now but the tank light comes on blue with full intensity when it was suppose to come on white at 10% and ramp up... i tried switching the two outlets to see if anything changed but nothing did. I just can’t figure it out. I’ve attached my morning profiles

Thanks again in advance!

Attachments

• 866A4193-D607-4320-A2B8-A767E5E85F20.png
    866A4193-D607-4320-A2B8-A767E5E85F20.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 2B9EB12C-CA61-4733-9DB3-F36F6C92CC5B.png
    2B9EB12C-CA61-4733-9DB3-F36F6C92CC5B.png
    173.3 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
SenorBubs

SenorBubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also attaching my setup

Attachments

• 73144AB7-B2C2-4715-A0DC-A2573E1DC9FA.jpeg
    73144AB7-B2C2-4715-A0DC-A2573E1DC9FA.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
SenorBubs

SenorBubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding for the Kissels is that for the color spectrum 100 is white and 0 is blue but I could be wrong. Is the varspd1 and 2 the V1/V2 outlet? Because if so that’s where my lights are plugged in. I don’t have anything plugged into the serial outlet on the VDM

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes varspd 1/2 are the variable 0-10v outlets for kessil lighting one channel is color and the other is for intensity.

Here's a video from brs on controlling kessil lighting.

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I tried using Profiles... However, just got annoyed with keeping everything lined up, up to date as I began light acclimation. Moved back to just the basic schedule with a graph to plot. Found this WAY easier to manage and align the Spectrum and Intensity channel, plus the APEX main screen will tell me the current percentage the light is at versus the profile name.

For reference, below is how I have my dual Kessil's configured. I used a full VDM controller, V1/V2 for one light and V3/V4 for the second light instead of linking them together via the output/input on the lights. I wanted specific control of each light in case I needed to adjust due to type of corals, placement, grow-out and eventual shadowing. The copy profile option makes it incredibly easy to copy your settings from outlet to outlet.

IMO... simplest is always the best answer in this hobby. (Says the guy who has thousands of dollars of electronics running the show LOL)

OH and BTW, remember that the Kessil's won't turn on under after 10% on the intensity channel on an APEX and you can still add custom programming by clicking the 'Basic' button at the top.

KESSIL_INT.jpg

KESSIL_CLR.jpg

KESSIL_BASIC.jpg

APEX.jpg

Hope that helps a little bit.

OP
OP
SenorBubs

SenorBubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for both the replies, they both help! Seems like I can't get my variable speed outlets to show on my main page... maybe that's why. I can only see the Serial output which I have as BLUE and WHITE which don't control anything. I can't figure out how to make the VarSpeedOutlets 1 and 2 show on the main page. I've already moved my code over to those two ports

OP
OP
SenorBubs

SenorBubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I just figured it out by poking around a bit. You hit the Lock button on the top right of the home screen and it gives you options to drag/drop into the control column

OP
OP
SenorBubs

SenorBubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I was able to control one of the lights through the Varspd 1 and 2 but I had to switch the VDM cord into the Output of the first light. I couldn't then connect the second light to the same V1/V2 because no matter what combination I used I couldn't get the lights to talk to each other. So I programmed V3/V4 and used that outlet for the second light... Works well enough for me

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I was able to control one of the lights through the Varspd 1 and 2 but I had to switch the VDM cord into the Output of the first light. I couldn't then connect the second light to the same V1/V2 because no matter what combination I used I couldn't get the lights to talk to each other. So I programmed V3/V4 and used that outlet for the second light... Works well enough for me
Glad it's moving in the right direction... good thing it's a hobby and you can keep playing around with it until it's perfect to you. I use both variable ports on the VDM module to control separately as well, since my coral placements dictates that and also I'm a certified control freak. LOL!

Interesting that you couldn't get the two lights to talk to each other. Did you connect V1/V2 VDM port to the input on Light 1 and then a male to male stereo 1/8" stereo cable (metal end will have 2 black lines) from the output of Light 1 to the input of Light 2? That should control both lights with one VDM port. (When I say one VDM port, I'm referring to the physical port on the module which has two channels V1 and V2)

Just remember that you will need the intensity setting to be greater than 10% on the APEX in order for the lights to come on. I found that 11% was the activation spot when I had two lights controlled by one VDM port.

And as always.... post a pic of your tank and setup. Everyone always loves seeing what people have. :)

Happy Thanksgiving

OP
OP
SenorBubs

SenorBubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true! If it was a job I might be pulling my hair out :p And yes I did. I thought that would do it since the VDM would input into light 1 and then that output would input into light 2 but when I connected it like that neither light would read off the VDM. I did VDM to output light 1 and finally got my program setting and could "on/off" to see the spectrum and intensity. but all I had left was the input of light 1 and connecting that to either port of light 2 just gave me and uncontrollable dark blue light....

not to get too much into it but I did switch all cords to see if they were the issue and they had no change. And after lights off (~8pm) my V3/V4 went off but the V1/V2 ports didn't even though the code was the same :rolleyes: I'm not going crazy... don't worry lol.

But thanks for the tips! I'll continue updating this incase anyone else runs into the same issues and I'll just see what I can do to change it

Build threads coming soon!! Happy thanksgiving!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back