Apex vs others

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I am in process of buying redsea 250 reefer
I really like the apex idea, but this is so expensive, on top of other stuff I need to buy.
Are they any other alternatives to apex( with nice wifi app) or this is only for apex?

can you use any containers with fluids ( calcium etx) or you have to use Apex TRIDENT device?

Regards
Tom

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Neptune Apex and the GHL Profilux are the two industry leaders in the aquarium controller marketplace. There is a recent new entry from CoralVue with their HYDROS controller product line which looks promising. If you are into DIY projects, take a look at the ReefPi controller project.

Personally, I prefer the Apex and published a series of programming tutorials here on R2R to help other Apex users get the most out of their systems:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/authors/suncrestreef.93940/

The Trident is only used to test alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. It is not a container for dosing those elements, though it can be used in conjunction with the Neptune DOS to automate the dosing of additives based on the test results.

Last edited:

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I really like the apex idea, but this is so expensive, on top of other stuff I need to buy.
Are they any other alternatives to apex( with nice wifi app) or this is only for apex?

can you use any containers with fluids ( calcium etx) or you have to use Apex TRIDENT device?

Regards
Tom
1) Depends on what you are asking. If you're looking for an all-in-one controller and parameters checker, no, there really aren't any better options, at that price point, right now. The Seneye is garbage (had two, both required significant trims based on the slide you had at any given month) and the test strip-based all-in-one kits are pretty inaccurate. For controllers, if you're just looking to set things up on timers, you can get away with simple wifi-based smart plugs. Those can turn things on and off depending on time of day, and in some cases, a few things more complex if you have the technical know-how. if you just want to control things like heater temps and skimmer skim-mate levels, or sump water levels, you have a few other options, but bottom line, no, Apex is the best there is, right now, for everything it can do.

2). No, you don't need the Apex DOS for dosing, you can use any doser and trigger it by a wide range of states Apex features.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a controller, there are cheaper options including diy with smart plugs. GHL and APEX are definitely the big dogs and this thread can easily turn into another this is better than that battle between fanboys. truth be told, there's pluses to both but neither are 100% necessary.

as far as automating tests without proprietary regents then Reefbot is your friend; it works out to be less expensive than the Trident & KH director but is not cheap (both in build and price).

U

User1

View Badges
The Neptune Apex and the GHL Profilux are the two industry leaders in the aquarium controller marketplace. There is a recent new entry from CoralVue with their HYDROS controller product line which looks promising. If you are into DIY projects, take a look at the ReefPi controller project.

Personally, I prefer the Apex and published a series of programming tutorials here on R2R to help other Apex users get the most out of their systems:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/authors/suncrestreef.93940/

The Trident is only used to test alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. It is not a container for dosing those elements, though it can be used in conjunction with the Neptune DOS to automate the dosing of additives based on the test results.

Reef angel is also DIY side of things. Prebuilt unit but you will need to do the custom coding or use the wizard and adapt. Probably has the single best custom libraries in the hobby based on how the main code loop runs then pick cloud, storm, tide, and more. True random.

OP - you don't need a controller right away. In fact it may be best if you hold off on that purchase until you have a bit of time under your bet. This way you can build a list of needs or requirements of what you want out of one then find the perfect fit.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a controller, there are cheaper options including diy with smart plugs. GHL and APEX are definitely the big dogs and this thread can easily turn into another this is better than that battle between fanboys. truth be told, there's pluses to both but neither are 100% necessary.

as far as automating tests without proprietary regents then Reefbot is your friend; it works out to be less expensive than the Trident & KH director but is not cheap (both in build and price).
No no, don't go with Reefbot. The cloud never works (the Lebanese-based operators are always doing maintenance at night, which is when us Americans usually schedule our tests--since each individual element's test takes an hour to do). So if you want to run tests on 6 parameters, it will take 6 hours. That's why we do them at night. Also, for most tests, you can only get 9-11 tests out of the reagent bottles (Reefbot will only go to 50% of your reagent bottle. Machine stops working then and you have to refill). Compared to about 60 tests from Trident. Also, you have to BUY all your reagent bottles, which means you're purchasing at least two of each test kit parameter you want to test. Additionally, ReefBot is the size of 2 desktop computers glued together. Finally, it's still in beta. Notifications don't work, wifi is flaky, lots of other small issues. Just stay away. One day, hopefully, it will work. For now, it doesn't seem to.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no, don't go with Reefbot. The cloud never works (the Lebanese-based operators are always doing maintenance at night, which is when us Americans usually schedule our tests--since each individual element's test takes an hour to do). So if you want to run tests on 6 parameters, it will take 6 hours. That's why we do them at night. Also, for most tests, you can only get 9-11 tests out of the reagent bottles (Reefbot will only go to 50% of your reagent bottle. Machine stops working then and you have to refill). Compared to about 60 tests from Trident. Also, you have to BUY all your reagent bottles, which means you're purchasing at least two of each test kit parameter you want to test. Additionally, ReefBot is the size of 2 desktop computers glued together. Finally, it's still in beta. Notifications don't work, wifi is flaky, lots of other small issues. Just stay away. One day, hopefully, it will work. For now, it doesn't seem to.
different experience here; tests do take longer but < 1hr and mine is only the size of one desktop, you must have the nice one :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Regards
Tom

Depending on what it is you still need to purchase, I would think of something like apex as a nice-to-have not a must-have. Get your lighting and flow sorted first. Folks were successfully dosing long before trident .... or apex.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back